any suggestions on taking your child to work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-22-2003, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any suggestions?
I am starting a job this week, I will be bringing my 8 month old ds with me. Any suggestions? : It is with an ad agency and the culture is fairly informal. Thanks!!!
#2 of 3 Old 06-22-2003, 04:53 PM

When I would take Sam to work at this age, I packed tons of his favorite toys and books. I also had special thiings that he only played with at my office. I made sure to have our big stroller there too so he could take a nap. I would walk him around our stacks (I'm an archivist and we have a huge stack area and I can wind the shelving with him. ). I also made sure to take him on my visits to other departments. I also packed plenty of cheerios and fruit because he liked that at the time.

I only ever took him to work for half a day unless he took a really long nap then I could almost get in a full day.

Who knows, maybe you will have some co-workers volunteer to play with him once in a while.

The only thing I would really expect is not to get a ton of work done.
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2003, 12:12 PM

My dd is almost a year and I occassionally bring her to work w/ me all day.

1-I baby proofed my office
2-brought a couple of her toys, but she only plays w/ them for short periods
3-because of #2, I gather items for her to play w/ at work that aren't hazards, such as box lids (she likes to crawl in and out of, unconnected keyboard and mouse (loves to play w/) and rattles made of small boxes (have them taped because dd has figured out how to open them).
4-I bring her favorite snacks, such as Cherrios, apples, bananas.
5-I either bring a pack-n-play pen or a stroller so she can sleep
6-I also bring a sling or backpack carrier depending on what I am doing that day.
7-I bring all the other necessities for baby

When I have her in the office, I just work and usually she will entertain herself for a while. Then, about every 30 min, she will want mommy attention (either holding her while giving the bottle - this allows me to work), talking to her while she is cruising around my chair/desk or even playing w/ her (I'll put all my papers on the floor and work while she cruises around me to play w/ my hair or climbs over my legs)

It isn't easy, but you will definately get into a routine and figure out what works best. Good Luck,
Jenni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page