money sux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2003, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i dont know, i guess i have to get a job, and i dont really want to. i dont have any moral thing against working, i just really love my life the way it is. i am in school and take care of my son, and that is enough of a load for me. working on top of it just really sounds hellish. i am afraid. but i need to do it. i think i am posting here to get some encouraging thoughts about working. not only does the actual working sound rough to me, but the LOOKING for work seems even worse. i havent worked in 2 years , except for some subbing at my old job. i am not qualified to do much else besdides cooking , waiting tables, etc for a job, so thats part of what is discouraging me. i went to scool hoping i would never hjave to do that kind of work again, i was soooo sick of it.

im agoing to have to get childcare for ds, and he isnt immunised, so i dont know how i am going to swing that.

i am ovcerwhelmed, but my landlady just called me to ask about rent, our utilities are about to be shut off, our food stamps are out, and car insurance is due. i was trying to not let it bug me , but its bugging me alot right now......

gotta go, ds calls...thanks for reading...
#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 AM

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Where are you in school? Can you get a job there? First choice is the library or an office job that will be resume-worthy, but even a food service job where you go to school would make your life easier. Also, many universities have daycare...though most also have a waiting list and not enough slots. Still, it's worth checking out.

Look on the website for your school to see what is open this summer.

Wish I could say something more helpful...

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM

What are you studying? Is it possible to get a job that relates to it?

Also, about childcare and immunizations, check out what the law is in your area. Here (Ontario), if you look at the school board or individual childcare providers' information, they always SAY you need to give them your child's immunization record. But IN FACT you can sign a philosophical objection form that no one tells you about, and legally that is just as good. If there is a similar law in your area, I would get a copy of it made so you can educate your childcare provider if necessary (and fib a bit to them about a medical reason not to immunize your particular child, if it makes it go over easier).

Remember, this is tough, but probably temporary -- you are still well on your way with your schooling, and times will get better for you!
#5 of 5 Old 07-03-2003, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for reading that very typo riddled post! ds was in his highchair while i wrote it so i didnt have time to edit...

well, i am about to make some more calls now, but i was talking to a friend that does childcare, to see if she had a slot for ds, and she suggested i do childcare in my home, then i wouldnt have to send ds anywhere and i could make some money. she offered to refer someone to me and everything. so, thats hopeful, even though i am not the most psyched about doing child care, i think if i look at it as temporary, i wont feel as overwhelmed.

also, as far as school jobs go, i kind of messed that up because i turned down the work study grant, and most of the jobs on campus are work study only. (work study is a kind of subsidy so that an employer can pay you like $3 and hour, but the work study money kicks in like $4 , so you end up making $7, for example.)

as for immunizations, i just never realised that the religious exemption deal applied to daycares too. so i am going to look into that as well.

i am studying english, and there is a vague possibility i can ask this woman i met at a potluck MONTHS ago if she still would be into training me on a editing kind of job we were talking about. soooooooo

ill let you all know what pans out for me...in the mean time i am jumping through all the @#$%#^#% food stamps and medicaid hoops too , so just send me *patience* vibes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page