working mommies?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am heading back to work after a 10 month maternity leave. I have a 10 month old and 3 year old. Was just wondering how many others were out there. I am feeling a variety of emotions from excitement to apprehension to just plain sad. My kids are with Daddy though and their grandparents for care givers so they are so lucky. I will miss them though so much! I also love my job too which is wonderful.

Thanks!!

Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm a working momma, so I'm completely empathetic.

I had to go back after a short 12 weeks, and it was very difficult. I was able to work from home 2 days a week after my first, and work from home 1 day a week after my second with shortened hours....But it's still hard.

I'm going through another wave of anxiety/stress/guilt as my kids are starting at a Montessori on Monday, and they have never been in a "school or daycare" setting...I know in my heart that this Montessori will be great, but the transition is always hard. I'm home with them this week so as to spend time with them before next week.

Where are you located? I'm in Woodridge, IL
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm in the same boat up here in Chicago!

I have gone from maternity leave (3 months) to full-time work (6 weeks while DH had paternity leave) to a part-time flexible schedule with work from home hours (13 months) to being home full-time (5 months) to accepting a full-time job for a non-profit which starts 9/17!

I'm exhausted and freaked out just typing that...

The new job is perfect for me---close to home, meaningful work, good compensation that will allow us to live more sustainably---but I have all of this ambivalence about leaving DS after our wonderful summer together. This will be the first time that he's in a "center" setting after having in home care with 2 slinging nannies : and a home care setting with a good mama friend and her DD.

I feel so proud of the start that I have given DS, and I have such good feelings about this center, but you're so right about the mix of feelings---sadness, excitement, apprehension---all at the same time!

Anyway, good to know I'm not alone...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the working moms forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-29-2007, 10:34 AM

DS is 14 weeks old, and I just went back to work two weeks ago. He spent one week with my parents, one week with DH and started daycare yesterday. I was really upset about it, but he did fine on his first day. (Although apparently he was really good all day, but cranky when he got home - what's up with that???) He is spending two days in daycare and one day with MIL. Frankly, I'm not sure which one bothers me more...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 AM

I have a hard time with putting my DD in daycare, but she so obviously loves it that it makes it easier for me to see her so excited to be there and see her little friends. I was lucky enough to have a 4 month maternity leave, then ended up relocating before I went back to work, so my girl was over 4 months old before she went to daycare.

I'm also lucky enough to have a self-employed DP, so he can spend lots of time with DD in the mornings and pick her up early when his schedule permits. So some days she's only there for 3 or 4 hours.

It works for us - not my ideal situation, but it makes me feel so much better to know how much she enjoys being there, and how much the DCPs love having her there.

Best of luck to you, OP, during your transition back to work!

User Tag List