Daycare won't swaddle my baby - is that a common rule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told the people at DS2's daycare that he sleeps better if swaddled and they said they aren;t allowed to swaddle the babies. By "not allowed" I know they mean by the daycare director, but I'm sure she got the information somewhere. I guess they have to lay them on their backs in a crib and can put a blanket up to their abdomen, with the blanket tucked in under the mattress. Hopefully DS2 will get used to that and he will just learn that he sleeps differently there than at home. But I had no idea that swaddling was considered unsafe. Is this a pretty common daycare rule?

(DS1 didn't start daycare til age 2, so this is my first experience with an infant in daycare.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Our daycare will pretty much bend over backwards for our ds (4mo). I'm not aware of swaddling being unsafe.

What about the little swaddle blankets that velcro. Maybe since the swaddle blanket can't come undone they won't consider it a safety risk. If you don't know what I mean then let me know.
#3 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM

I, too, brought a swaddle to daycare for my little girl, who slept better in a swaddle. Personally, I think they just forgot about it and it sat in her bin, but they got her to take naps without it. Next thing I knew, she didn't need it at home either.

Her DCP never mentioned anything about it being against policy, but maybe they just figured that by just not using it, I wouldn't notice. As long as she took naps, I was fine with it.

If your little one can't sleep without being swaddled, I'd ask them to show you their policy in the literature that they give all parents who register their children. Mabye it's teeny tiny print? (Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.)

Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 PM

i think it might be a licensing violation in some places. i know that my state writes up DCs for having blankets of any sort in the cribs.
#5 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 PM

In Michigan it's a licensing rule that there can be no blankets or pillows including swaddling blankets in cribs.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#6 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's sleeping alright without it there, so I guess it's fine. I had actually not been swaddling much lately, but he's had a cranky spell and I had to go back to the "S"s to soothe him. They said they lay him down, he looks around starts looking sleepy, they rock the crib a little (achieved by rolling it back and forth I think) and he falls asleep!

I was just curious if this was common. I'm so used to hearing about swaddling, I had no idea it was considered unsafe by anyone.

They also said they aren't allowed to have swings or bouncy seats or the like. Just the Bumbo seat and some baby gyms.
#7 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Our daycare says it's unsafe after the baby starts to roll, but they do it until then.
#8 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 AM

Its probably a safety thing, because I actually had a fight with my mom over the issue. My daughter loves to be swaddled & never sleeps well unless she is. My mom heard from "somewhere" that it wasn't safe at 6 months and ordered me to stop doing it. That didn't go over well with me, but anyhow I'm sure some people think its unsafe & there might actually be a reason.

I don't leave her unattended or wrap her too tightly, but if thats the only thing that works, what can you do?
#9 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 AM

Our daycare never swaddled DS, but they do have strict regs they have to follow. Most places generally bend over to do what they can to make babies sleep better, but DS didn't have any blankets in the crib when he slept. They kept the room really warm.
#10 of 11 Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
In Michigan it's a licensing rule that there can be no blankets or pillows including swaddling blankets in cribs.
This is interesting because my daycare will swaddle (also in Michigan). It's a Montessori school and is liscened. Mmmm... My DD sleeps in a bouncy seat and they always wrap her with a blanket. I feel totally comfortable with that as we still swaddle her at home. Plus she is strapped in and mostly upright. There is no way for her to roll and become tangled in the blanket.

I know they are currently swaddling a 2 month old, but would never leave any loose blankets in the crib.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#11 of 11 Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 AM

In some states (like Michigan) it is against state licensing rules to have a blanket in the crib with a child so I can see how it's not allowed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page