SAHMing on a Resume - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm helping a friend with her resume. She's been home for the last 4 years and wants to re-enter the workforce. I want to put a concise statement on her resume which states in 1-3 sentences what her job was during those years.

Have any of you done this? If so, what did you say? I've gotten a few things but nothing sounds just right. Can you say writers block!!!

*household management
*scheduling
*budgeting
*menu planning
etc.....
#2 of 21 Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm interested to see what others say, as at some point I'll have to do this (been home for 4 years now, now part time student, plan to go back to work in 3-4 years).

My feeling is that I wouldn't try to equate SAHMing to a job on a resume, I just don't feel like that will be received well by employers. I guess it depends on what kind of field she's in, but for me, having worked in software development, having a big statement about how I did my families budget doesn't really say much about my ability to design software. My plan is to just put a statement on the resume in the employment section on how I've chosen to stay home with my children during an important time in their lives and perhaps what I've done during that time to stay current in my field.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I'm interested to see what others say.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#3 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 AM

I do not put anything about mothering or staying at home on my resume. I keep it concise and only put things on there that are relevant to my profession.

I do have an asterick that explains why I left my last job (to become a SAHM). That is the only reference to being a SAHM.
#4 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post

My feeling is that I wouldn't try to equate SAHMing to a job on a resume, I just don't feel like that will be received well by employers. I guess it depends on what kind of field she's in, but for me, having worked in software development, having a big statement about how I did my families budget doesn't really say much about my ability to design software. My plan is to just put a statement on the resume in the employment section on how I've chosen to stay home with my children during an important time in their lives and perhaps what I've done during that time to stay current in my field.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I'm interested to see what others say.
:
#5 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 AM

I agree with the posters upthread. Putting her SAHMing on the resume will turn off most employers. She can mention it briefly in her cover letter, maybe something like "I have been a stay-at-home mom for the last four years, which has increased my skills in budgeting and crisis management."
#6 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 AM

I agree. I would only put on things that are directly relevant to the job, and home budgeting and scheduling are probably not. I'd look for anything volunteer or in connection to being a SAHM that is truly directly relevant to the job she's seeking. If she's seeking a child care or education job, then taking care of children, both her own and others, might be relevant. If she's volunteered to create newsletters for the PTA or a parenting organization and she's looking for a job where she'll be creating newsletters for a company, then it's completely relevant. If she's looking for a cooking/restaurant job and she's dealt with food allergies in menu planning, maybe. It needs to be beyond the typical expected scope of parenting, IMO.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#7 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't do that either - too cutesy in an Erma Bombeck kind of way.

If she took a career hiatus to be a stay-at-home parent, she can mention it in her cover letter, or leave it for the interview.
#8 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
I wouldn't do that either - too cutesy in an Erma Bombeck kind of way.

If she took a career hiatus to be a stay-at-home parent, she can mention it in her cover letter, or leave it for the interview.

:
#9 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have to say I'm suprised. I'm the Director of HR at a large organization and not only do we get resumes with SAHMing emphasized, I generally give them an extra look. But perhaps that's just because our culture is very family centered.
#10 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Hm. If I were an employer I would probably want to hire a former SAHM!

If only for the obvious dedication implicit in the job. That coupled with proficiciency at multi tasking would seal the deal, provided she was competent in other areas and had skills necessary for the job as well!
#11 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Well, see, I don't think one needs to conceal it - one can certainly indicate that one is returning to the workforce after several years as a stay-at-home parent, and do so in a positive way.

One just doesn't need to dress it up develop a little 'job description' for it. In some ways, it makes it seem less valid, not more so: kind of like it's only valuable and worthy of respect if you can make it seem just like an office job. For sure in an interview, say "my skills are current, and if anything, my time management and multi-tasking skills have been improved by spending the last four years as a stay-at-home parent."
#12 of 21 Old 09-17-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB View Post
I have to say I'm suprised. I'm the Director of HR at a large organization and not only do we get resumes with SAHMing emphasized, I generally give them an extra look. But perhaps that's just because our culture is very family centered.
Is it relevant to your industry? I think it makes sense for SAHM's who are involved in their local schools, or any local organizations to mention whatever skills they've acquired there, or if they were applying for any kind of position that involved children. But I'm not sure how a bullet on menu planning would be helpful to an employer unless you are applying to something in food service/hospitality?

Also--I'd love to know how the resumes that you've given extra attention to have dealt with SAHM'ing--that would be good info for everyone here!

Also, I think it depends on how you view your resume--as an employment history or a professional history. I actually have a gap in the beginning of my resume from when I changed fields. Very little of what I did in my early jobs is relevant to what I do now.
#13 of 21 Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
Well, see, I don't think one needs to conceal it - one can certainly indicate that one is returning to the workforce after several years as a stay-at-home parent, and do so in a positive way.

One just doesn't need to dress it up develop a little 'job description' for it. In some ways, it makes it seem less valid, not more so: kind of like it's only valuable and worthy of respect if you can make it seem just like an office job. For sure in an interview, say "my skills are current, and if anything, my time management and multi-tasking skills have been improved by spending the last four years as a stay-at-home parent."
What she said! OK to bring it up in cover letter or interview, but in my pre-kid days I remember seeing resumes where SAHM was listed like a job, and it just didn't do much for me.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#14 of 21 Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 PM

I wrote an article on this a while back (I'd be happy to PM you the link). The gist of what I discovered was that if you can equate volunteer or other work during SAH time to your job duties, then you should highlight them in the cover letter, similar to what you would do if you were just starting out. I agree that trying to call SAHing something "cute" or "professional" is a turn-off.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#15 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 AM

Sorry, another vote to leave it off the actual resume, except that you left your last job to stay at home, honestly I do not know if I would even mention it other than that except in an interview if you feel the vibe is right... Unless you know you are sending a resume specifically to a female owned, very family freindly company.

I personally would not even go as far as saying that you have improved your skills in those area, but instead focus on what your strengths were at previous jobs & career paths. But then again I guess that would also lead back to what type field she are wanting to enter.
#16 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 AM

Just wanted to jump in here and say what I did.

My mom suggested that instead of putting SAHM, that I put the dates and say "family obligation".

Everyone has had family obligations and she suggested that I explain it at the interview, if asked about it. I did get the interview, and was asked, explained what I did, and got the job.

Good luck!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#17 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Just wanted to jump in here and say what I did.

My mom suggested that instead of putting SAHM, that I put the dates and say "family obligation".

Everyone has had family obligations and she suggested that I explain it at the interview, if asked about it. I did get the interview, and was asked, explained what I did, and got the job.

Good luck!
I kind of like this!

This way the "missing" dates are covered on the resume in an honest, sincere way, without trying to be cutesy or anything. "Family Obligation" sounds professional enough.
#18 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 AM

I put only work history and if asked why gaps in time I explain that I took some time off for family.

Quote:
My feeling is that I wouldn't try to equate SAHMing to a job on a resume, I just don't feel like that will be received well by employers.
If I were an employer I would be rolling my eyes and most likely not bothering to keep reading. It just seems unprofessional IMO.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#19 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB View Post
I took a resume writing course because in my former profession I helped people write resumes. It was strongly encouraged to include the SAHMing information. It is really not a turn off....
#20 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 AM

While I don't have SAHMing listed in my resume, I do mention it in my cover letter.

I think former sahmers should indeed mention their "family obligation" within their cover letter so that the potential employer understands her:

*dedication to family

*courage to take time off from career and then return; takes quite a bit!

*Obvious ability to manage time and her ability for empathy and patience.

* and so much more!

Potential employers need to learn to honor the family caregiver and recognize her as a worthy employee! We as former sahmers need to celebrate our choices and be proud of our positive contribution to society and culture; not hide our choice behind denial and soft language.

Be proud and confident to stand up and say: I chose, and was blessed to be able to stay home with my child/ren to provide them with the best care possible while keeping current by reading (insert professional periodicals here)________, and by taking (insert online course here)____________ during my time out of the workplace.

The only way for our culture to change, accept, and honor the family caregiver as an important construct of a healthy society, starts with us! We have to be the change we want the world to make...somebody important said that...

Off soap box now...
#21 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM

I wouldn't include it unless it actually related to the job at hand in some way. Your resume isn't supposed to be a literal job history. I'm a journalist, and I wouldn't include my stints as a waitress and a barista, for example, if I were applying for a new job in my field.

Explain it in the cover letter and the interview.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page