How do you handle occasional, last-minute childcare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am training to be a doula and am finding it just about impossible to find childcare for my two boys, ages 2 and 5. I had thought that for now and the next few years I would just do one birth a month, but even that infrequently I am finding no luck with anyone willing to do childcare on an occasional, last-minute basis. My mother had offered to help out, but she is just not up to the reality of "I have to leave right now, and I don't know when I'm going to be back!"

My husband works during the week from 8:00 - 6:00, and is wonderful about watching the boys when he's home -- I just need to find someone who could watch them during the day if I were gone.

I'd thought I could line up a number of sitters with different schedules, or persuade someone doing in-home daycare to take my boys occasionally, or maybe find an actual daycare center that would take them as "drop-ins." No luck so far.

Has anyone else done this successfully? Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Maybe try an ad in the paper?
#3 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM

In our area, we have a huge Mennonite population. I've had lots of girls watch my kids and they're much better, in my experience, doing something like that as opposed to an everyday thing.

I have no idea where you live or if you have anything like that near you, but getting the word out that you're looking for something like that could help. And ad in the paper would probably be a great start.
#4 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

We have a university here in town whose career center actually signs up students who want to do on-call/temporary type of jobs, including childcare. You just register on their website and they send you a list of people, including names, phone numbers, and a summary of their experience. I have a couple of friends who have had really good luck with this service. If there are any colleges/universities in your area, you might check them out for something similar.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#5 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I wonder if you could trade childcare with another Doula/midwife who would understand where you are coming from. College students are a good idea but they are usually not available during finals weeks and they tend to move away after a couple yrs.
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM

that's what grandmothers and great grandmothers and grandfathers and aunts are for !

my ds is playing "hooky" from preschool today and harvesting w/ his greatgrandmother in her garden today.
#7 of 8 Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 AM

I don't know, but it seems to me you should be able to find another mom who will care for your kids during the days. Anyway, in a worst case scenario, your dh will pick them up at 18:00. Do you know any stay at home moms around where you live? You could trade, so you watch her kids some other time?
#8 of 8 Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Many cities/towns have emergency daycare options. I know that mine does. Basically, it is a daycare facility that will take your child on a last minute basis. It costs an arm and a leg, and a big downside is most of them are geared for the kids who are too sick to attend their normal daycare, but for one reason or another the parents must be at work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page