HELP--thinking of taking the semester off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just started back to school a few weeks ago, and wowzers, i am a REAL wreck. i'm a 4th year PhD, just teaching and taking a dissertation seminar. but i've had debilitating insomnia and neck and head pain for a couple weeks now (mostly corresponding to when teaching got going) and can only sleep at night by taking ativan. even that is not working so well.

i'm getting regular chiro adjustments, working with a regular MD, getting blood tests, and going for acupuncture (first time) on friday. so i'm trying to get better.

but i am stressed beyond belief. i keep telling myself i'm only teaching one class, i can do it, it's not that hard. people do it all the time (then i feel like a failure, comparing myself with them). but it apparently IS that hard because i am very close to not functioning at all. we have a babysitter 6 hours a week (2 of which i'm in lecture/staff meeting for teaching)...so i have 4 hours per week to do work in, and i usually end up using part of that to exercise or run an errand for myself.

so i end up trying to do most of my teaching prep, including reading, and anything else i need to do for school while DD is napping, or when DH is home. if she doesn't nap, i get really stressed and fear i'll end up in front of the class totally unprepared. DH is very supportive but he works FT, a regular 9-5 job, so he can only help so much during the day.

and i try to keep my evenings low-key so i can actually sleep so don't work after about 6-7.

financially, it would be tough if i took the semester off, but we could swing it. i could re-evaulate in the spring. i might lose part of my fellowship money. i don't know.

any other ideas of what i could do to make this easier on myself? i need to take care of myself and DD, first and foremost. i already have PPD and symptoms of PTSD from the birth and am pretty darn close to as messed up as i've ever been :

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM

I had horrible PTSD and PPD after DS was born. I ended up taking an antipsychotic cocktail. I absolutely HATE meds for mental illness, but I just couldn't function. I wasn't keeping up with anything. A trip to the grocery store wiped me out. Work? Ha, ha. I felt exactly as you're describing.

I've also had to get more help with the kids over time. I tried to work around them, but honestly it's difficult to do. It caused stress between DH and me and ended up with me impatient with my son. Like you, I would panic if he didn't want a nap, and it just made everyone miserable. Can you swing a few more hours of childcare every week? Four hours doesn't seem like enough.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#3 of 5 Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 AM

I too am working on a PhD and the first semester back (last spring) was stressful beyond belief. I know it doesn't help you with your immediate problems but, I just wanted you to know that it has gotten easier. This semester has been a new experience, now that DD is older, (10 months today,) she is more tolerant of me reading or working on the laptop while she plays on the floor nearby. There are some days I really just phone it in for my students because DD wouldn't sleep and therefore no one slept the night before, but as far as I can tell the students don't notice. So hang tough and don't rule out next semester until the last minute. Getting things done, and getting a few minutes of grownup time will get easier. Your relationship with your DD will change as she gets older and more independent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#4 of 5 Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 AM

It sounds like if you want to stay in, you'll definitely need some childcare. It doesn't have to be a center if you're not up for that. You might find a person who can care for your baby while you study at home. If you have her also doing light housekeeping when the baby is sleeping, you might feel a whole lot less stressed.

If you want to take the semester off, it makes sense too. Your baby is still very little and you're probably still in that fog that parents of babies are in.

Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM

I couldn't do it without childcare at least 20 hours a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page