Tired of school, feeling bad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
In between having kids I have been chipping away at nursing prereqs at community college. But now I'm pregnant again and have no motivation and have a tough full-time schedule and am drowning. None of the material is hard, but I just don't have the time to read 6 or 8 chapters a week, let alone study and write the papers. Every time i sit down to read, I fall asleep.

I have financial aid, so I can't just drop out b/c they will want the money back, and it is gone! I think I have to get through 60% of the term before there would be no penalty.

Honestly, I am so tired of school. I don't care about being a nurse anymore. I just want to sleep. I have a BA. I just want to have the baby, get the kids off to school, and get a job like a normal person. Of course I have no non-retail work on my resume since 2004, so I don't even know what kind of job I will be able to get.

I don't know what I'm looking for here. Commiseration, advice, motivation... I don't know. I'm just tired of having schoolwork hanging over my head and feeling bad about not having a job.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aww, it is so haard, I can't imagine doing it while pg!
Is there any way you can change to easy classes this quarter (or are you on semester?) or is it too late?
Hang in there. it will get better!
#3 of 15 Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 AM

Aw, mama!!! Big hugs!!!

I am pregnant too, and enrolled in 15 credit hours. I just dropped one of my classes today, so that takes me to 11, but it's still a huge pain in the butt. I get financial aid too, so I can't drop any more. I'm exhausted most of the day and just want to sleep, it's rough!

I wish I had some good advice for you! I've been staying up 3-4 hours every night after DS has fallen asleep ... sometimes needing a cup of coffee to help, which I really don't like to have because I'm pg. But there's no other way I'll get anything done without.

Just hang in there a few more weeks, you're halfway through!
#4 of 15 Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Hang in there. I am taking 15 hours and working full time in and out of the home. Finish this semester then take 2 easy classes, anything to keep the student loans at bay until you are ready to take your nursing prerequisites again. Take a swimming class!!!

+ + =
#5 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

I totally hear ya! I dropped to 10 credits this quarter and just found out that I'm pregnant. I am such a slacker this quarter, I am so over it. I just have one quarter left though so I feel like I need to finish. If I quit I may never finish...

One thing I decided though, I don't need to get great grades. I just need to get the minimum passing grade. That was really hard for me to come to terms with but it helps me get through it.

I know it sucks but just keep plugging away and do the best that you are able. And that doesn't mean perfect.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#6 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM

and

I don't have any advice, but I hope the second trimester brings you more energy!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#7 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

It is getting even harder to go. In my A&P class, everyone did really bad on the last test. (That should tell you that it was the teacher's fault, but I digress...) So she said we could do test corrections and we could get half the points back. Today she handed back the test corrections and said that if we forgot to do even one question, we got no credit. And of course my preggo brain forgot to do one and so I got nothing. I am so furious. How is that fair at all? I'm already on the edge of being way fed up, and then stupid crap like this. So typical of community college here - all the focus on rules for the slackers. Like I forgot one question b/c I was high or partying or something. No, it was because I was yakking with 2 toddlers running around!

I wonder if I can drop to fewer credits without getting in trouble on the loans.

#8 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm sorry about the test - that stinks. How many credits are you carrying? I think you need 12 to be full-time for financial aid purposes. Any less and I think they consider you part-time (and eligible for less aid), but TBH, it has been a long time since I looked into it.

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#9 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
It is getting even harder to go. In my A&P class, everyone did really bad on the last test. (That should tell you that it was the teacher's fault, but I digress...) So she said we could do test corrections and we could get half the points back. Today she handed back the test corrections and said that if we forgot to do even one question, we got no credit. And of course my preggo brain forgot to do one and so I got nothing. I am so furious. How is that fair at all?
Did the instructor tell you before taking the test that leaving one blank meant no credit? If not, I would complain, because it's not fair to add that in later...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 15 Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM

That sounds like an awful instructor!

I hear ya, I had a hell of a time this semester, too. It ended last week (NZ semesters are weird ) and I swear it was an act of will to get anything done. There were times that I was having to think "just one more step, one more step" walking to class I was so tired. I dropped a class (paper) this semester, as well.

I would definitely complain about not getting your points back, that sucks.
#11 of 15 Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM

hi. also sending you support to finish the semester the best you can.
wanted to point out that sometimes (not always) if you are a serious student who attends class and is usually attentive to the instructor's instructions, if you visit the prof during office hours to explain that you missed the one question because of the children and being so exhausted from the pg, and ask if there is a way you could have another oppt'y, a prof might give you a break.
It is important for you to go to your teachers during their office hours (not before or after class because then it seems like you are being lazy) and present your situation before the semester goes on. Unless you have a history of slacking off, they will do what they can to help you get through. Request extended deadlines ahead of time (not at the last minute). Go to the office hours for help on assignments you don't fully comprehend.
i am a mom, grad student, having a hard time right now too, but also a comm college teacher
hang in there- it is important for your children's future.
#12 of 15 Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Did the instructor tell you before taking the test that leaving one blank meant no credit? If not, I would complain, because it's not fair to add that in later...

dar
I don't remember if she said that. I decided I am not going to complain unless she gives me a bad grade on my paper. I went to see the Bodies exhibition and wrote a critical paper. I am afraid of the grade b/c I know she is all in support of the Bodies as being educational, and b/c apparently I was supposed to also take the audio tour (which she never said and I didn't do b/c of needing to be quick for the babysitter.) So if she gives me crap on that, then I will say something.

Thanks for the tips on how to approach her, Robin.

I found out I can drop my classes before Nov. 1. I think I will drop the paper class, which sucks, b/c it is Women's Studies and the only interesting one. I won't have to pay any aid back.

I feel less tired now, but still nauseous, so it is a little better.

#13 of 15 Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
\I think I will drop the paper class, which sucks, b/c it is Women's Studies and the only interesting one.
Then maybe you are in the wrong field? Honestly, slugging through school when you are not interested in the material is hard for ANYONE, much less a mom of 2 with one on the way!!

I got my BS degree a few years back and hated every minute of it. There were times I didn't think I'd make it. Hindsight tells me that I should've been doing something I was more interested in. Now I will be going BACK to school to do that, but I digress..

I guess I am trying to say that school is NOT easy, but it will be worth your time and effort. So just press on!! Sometimes we have to suffer a little in the short term for a greater goal.

Also, do you mind if I ask where you are located? The exhibit you speak of sounds like something that is going on around here...
#14 of 15 Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Pittsburgh. There are lots of Bodies exhibitions traveling the world. This is the Chinese one with the plastinated corpses.

I loved my BA, b/c I could take anything I wanted and was free and young. I can learn anything I want by reading in my free time. Unfortunately, I need a flexible and marketable job, so I am back in school for nursing. I would find other things fascinating, but don't have the time or money now.

#15 of 15 Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I loved my BA, b/c I could take anything I wanted and was free and young. I can learn anything I want by reading in my free time. Unfortunately, I need a flexible and marketable job, so I am back in school for nursing. I would find other things fascinating, but don't have the time or money now.
This is why I am getting the degree I am. It is interesting enough and I'm good at it (accounting). It's probably not my dream job, but I am not going to go back to school again for 4+ years and get that degree. I, too, figure I can do what I love in my spare time but my degree needs to make me $$ and be flexible. I lived paycheck to paycheck for too long and I'm not going to do that again.

Like I said before, just do the best you can and don't beat yourself up. I don't think anyone is going to look at your grades in the long run, just as long as you pass the class.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page