Study Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm not really sure how to work this, but I figure we can just wing it to start out with.

Yesterday I didn't do much because my mom came over and we played games instead! But this morning I was up at 5am (despite going to bed at midnight) and I read almost the entire last chapter that I needed to read. I just have a few more pages. Also, the power was out so from 5am-6am I read by candlelight! Now that my son is up I am extremely tired but we'll see how the rest of the day goes. If I can do this again tomorrow, I should be set for my test on Tuesday night.

So my study plans are naptime today (~2-3pm) and 5am - ~8am tomorrow morning. I will try to check in and not go to any other threads!!!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#2 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Good luck with your test tomorrow night!

My daughter had a therapy appointment at 8am today and my son is out of school. My mom was going to pick them up after therapy at 9am and then take them to a movie then out to lunch with my sis. She called at 6:45 am and said she couldn't sleep so she'd take them to therapy. She picked them up about 7:20. I ran to the coffee shop and picked up a Chai then came home. So far I've finished my statistics homework that is due tomorrow, took my quiz (it's an online course), and have read and provided feedback on three essays for my English course. My paper is due Thursday night at midnight and I'm working on that right now - my rough draft is done. I am also working on my music course - just downloading lectures via mp3 and taking notes (online course). I will be studying until 2pm or so today.

Tomorrow my sis is picking up my daughter after therapy and then my mom will bring her home. My dad is going to pickup my son from school too. So tomorrow I'll have from noon until about 3:30 to study in a quiet house.
#3 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Cool Cody'smomma - thanks for starting us off!
And studying by candlelight? You are my hero! I'd have taken that as a sign that I was excused.

I posted what I've got to do in the other thread - it seems like an overwhelming amount. : So I'm just going to start! Now.
:

I'll check in later! See ya studybuddies!
#4 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah i'm so proud of me. I took the morning and so far have finished one of my health assignments, which is due next monday, my geology homework which consisted of doing a bunch of stuff on excel, and I am getting ready to do the final touches on my paper which is due tomorrow. I'll still have one assignment due friday in health that i'm going to finish later today.
Woo hoo. I'll have no more to do this week. I don't have any more tests in any of my classes until the last two weeks of classes in december. Its too bad i can't be this productive every day.

I agree with gradmama, if my power was off, i would take it as a sign not to study. But i'll pretty much take anything as a sign not to study if i can. Kudos to you for sticking thru it. Sorry your so tired, it will feel worth it when you get an awesome grade on your test.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#5 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM

I actually got some stuff done today! I finished up my manual so it's ready for publication. (Being a program director means that I get to write all the paperwork....) I also read over half the Don Quijote assignment. I still have a 5 pg paper to write tonight, after I tutor my student and have a meeting. I'll be up late this evening!
#6 of 128 Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Well. The stats paper is complete! I really need to learn how to do these things more quickly.

Now to do laundry and start on finishing the grading. Sigh...

Hope everyone else is making progress.
#7 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel View Post
I actually got some stuff done today! I finished up my manual so it's ready for publication. (Being a program director means that I get to write all the paperwork....) I also read over half the Don Quijote assignment. I still have a 5 pg paper to write tonight, after I tutor my student and have a meeting. I'll be up late this evening!
Yeah for getting all that done! I've been on point today......but yes, its going to be a long night. Cup of coffee anyone?

Sigh...everyone in my house is so sick too (including me ) I just wanna go to bed...
#8 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I love the idea!!!!!!!!!!!! A study support group will be very useful!

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#9 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Tiny Tina!

Keep up the good studying and paper writing everyone!

Just checking in here... it is 6am and I finished the chapter and am now going over the notes. STill need to study the last test as this one will contain info from that one. Which sucks cause I never read much of those chapters. :

OK, back to reading.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#10 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM

welcome tinytina! I'm liking this.
It sounds as if you're almost ready for your test! Good for you!

I'm going to take the kids to school and then finish the grading and begin reading........
#11 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM

good luck with the test and studying!
#12 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Good luck with the test!

Today was a completely unproductive day school-wise. I do get to register for my spring classes in 30 minutes though (we do registration appointments). I have my paper due Thursday night but I just received the results of my 2nd essay and I got a 175/175 - yay! Right now I'm at about a 93-95% in all three of my classes.
#13 of 128 Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone, I have a few things this week to work on and other things that are being put off until later due to time restraints.

I have a midterm on Thursday....got the study notes almost completely done.
Thursday: Got to finish another novel for class and I need to make reading notes.
I have a presentation on Friday....almost done (worked on my powerpoint and handout) with a partner.

Next Wed. another big presentation with 3 other people.

Some big papers still need to be completed before the end of semester about 3 weeks.

YIKES!

One of my classes I'm doing a paper on the effects of tv commericals on kids especially looking at obesity rates and then the other side under-eating (anorexia, etc)
I can't wait to have time to work on that paper.

#14 of 128 Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 AM

I hope the test went well Codys'mama!

Today, I got all the midterm grading finished. I semi-prepared for class and made it to class. How that took up the whole day? I don't know. But I'm home and exhausted and havent' decided what's next.

tinytina - don't you Love papers that you love? That's what I like about grad school - well, supposedly its supposed to only be on stuff I like. Not that it gets it done quicker...but you know.

MytwoAs - Congratulations! And good luck with the paper!

I guess - I will read some statistics (means taking notes - stuff is jibberish to me) and some lighter reading that doesn't require sooo much brain power.

See ya in the mornin! I have to work hard from 8:30 to 1:30 b/c then the days are filled with the kids' apts. and stuff.
#15 of 128 Old 11-14-2007, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painting_pink View Post
good luck with the test and studying!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
Right now I'm at about a 93-95% in all three of my classes.
That is awesome! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytina View Post

Some big papers still need to be completed before the end of semester about 3 weeks.

YIKES!

One of my classes I'm doing a paper on the effects of tv commericals on kids especially looking at obesity rates and then the other side under-eating (anorexia, etc)
I can't wait to have time to work on that paper.
Sometimes I have a really hard time thinking about all the stuff I have to do by the end of the quarter. I'm trying really hard to just take it day by day! That paper sounds very interesting. I think I would love to write a paper on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
I guess - I will read some statistics (means taking notes - stuff is jibberish to me) and some lighter reading that doesn't require sooo much brain power.
OOH, stats. Didn't like that class too much and now it is coming back to haunt me in my other management classes!!

Well you guys, I did the DUMBEST thing ever. I was working so hard, concentrating on studying for this test (which I feel pretty good about, btw) that I completely forgot about my homework for my other class!! I guess I can only do one thing at a time! Oh well, it doesn't affect my grade much, I still have a middle of the road B and that is a pretty easy class.

Anyhoo, I"ll be up at 5am again (provided I can get to bed soon! )

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#16 of 128 Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Cody'smomma - how did the test do? And btw....I have so done that! There's only so much a brain can remember at once and you are right, it is overwhelming so we compartmentalize and then....

Anyway - I'm getting at it...
#17 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM

just wanted to jump in and say hi, good luck and good work!

my girl is almost 8 weeks, I went back when she was 11 days :
I think I'm sorta finally maybe getting the hang of this but I am NOT the student I was before baby.

Got papers, reports, a presentation, and some tests then winter break! woohoo!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#18 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
just wanted to jump in and say hi, good luck and good work!

my girl is almost 8 weeks, I went back when she was 11 days :
I think I'm sorta finally maybe getting the hang of this but I am NOT the student I was before baby.

Got papers, reports, a presentation, and some tests then winter break! woohoo!
Welcome! Yes, I found that I am a different student after having a kid. But for me it was for the better. I could not procrastinate until the last minute because I never knew when that was going to be. I had to utilize the time that I knew I had. Which still isn't very easy.

Yay for winter break!! I only have four more class days and then finals. The end is in sight.

I've been up since 5am and I am almost done with my homework for tonight. My sister got me up (stayed at my mom's last night) and if it wasn't for her, I may not have gotten up. Plus, she made me some coffee so that was helpful.

Let's get some good studying/paperwriting/whathaveyou in today, folks!

:

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#19 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM

I just got back my grade from a test i took last week. I am so bummed. I did horrible. I was sick the week prior and just didn't study enough. I'm soo mad at myself. Basically this class only has 4 grades which count towards the final grade. All 4 are exams. I didn't do so well so it brought my grade way down. : I'm not typically an A student , but i was really striving this semester and to blow this one class just makes me so sad.
I know its only my first semester in school and i can make up my gpa later, but i'm upset.

On the other hand, i just have to finish up a project for tomorow, and then thanksgiving break. Yeah.

I agree its soo much harder when you have kids to get stuff done. I'm finding late nights are inevitable. I really can't get much done if they are awake and my dh isn't home. My dd was 5 months old when i went back to school. It gets a tiny bit easier every day.

These next few weeks are crunch time for me. Lots of studying to do for finals. If i don't start now, it will all pile up. Is everyone here almost done too? I know that schools that run on quarters are done really soon right? We are semesters here so mid december to mid january is our break.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#20 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=nolansmummy;9739453]I just got back my grade from a test i took last week. I am so bummed. I did horrible. I was sick the week prior and just didn't study enough. I'm soo mad at myself. Basically this class only has 4 grades which count towards the final grade. All 4 are exams. I didn't do so well so it brought my grade way down. : I'm not typically an A student , but i was really striving this semester and to blow this one class just makes me so sad.
I know its only my first semester in school and i can make up my gpa later, but i'm upset. ]
I"m sorry. That's really rough. Can you/do you want to talk to the professor about doing something to bring up your grade? And yes, of course you can make it up later throughout the time you are in school. Its hard tho.

[I agree its soo much harder when you have kids to get stuff done. I'm finding late nights are inevitable.]

Ya know...I need to go to bed by midnight and even then its a little too late for me. I no longer can/should pull all-nighters. Its just the way it is. I just need my sleep or I can't manage at all. I think putting it in that perspective has actually lightened my stress level a tiny bit. Or maybe I'm just in denial .

[These next few weeks are crunch time for me. Lots of studying to do for finals. If i don't start now, it will all pile up. Is everyone here almost done too? I know that schools that run on quarters are done really soon right? We are semesters here so mid december to mid january is our break.]

Uh-huh! Yes ma'am. Crunch time indeedy. 20 page paper, research proposal and another 10-12 statistics project. Not too mention all the grading....
We'll get there! hopefully.
#21 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Welcome! Yes, I found that I am a different student after having a kid. But for me it was for the better. I could not procrastinate until the last minute because I never knew when that was going to be. I had to utilize the time that I knew I had. Which still isn't very easy.
I've been up since 5am and I am almost done with my homework for tonight. My sister got me up (stayed at my mom's last night) and if it wasn't for her, I may not have gotten up. Plus, she made me some coffee so that was helpful.

Let's get some good studying/paperwriting/whathaveyou in today, folks!

:
I think that I am a better student as a mama also (although I don't have anything to compare it to). I just know how to focus - quickly, deeply, and then be done. Not to mention, I think I have a drive that many college students don't have because of my kids...

Um...up since 5am and almost done? Phew. You are a go-getter Sara!

I'm going now- going to be working all day until 5.....then a break and back at it tonight.
#22 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 PM

gradmama.....I FOUND IT!!!!!!! thank you!

din't read much of the thread.......have o write a paper and study for an exam for an afternoon class......i CAN do this.

wish me luck

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#23 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Yeah!! so glad.

You CAN do it! Let us know how it goes!
#24 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks for starting this thread cody'smomma!!

I wrote in the thread that inspired this one that I was working on a take-home exam for my calculus class over the weekend. Turned it in Monday morning after working on it on Saturday from about 5pm until 3am and then Sunday roughly the same amount of time. The loss of sleep was so worth it because I got a 99%!!!!!!!! I now actually have a chance of getting an A in this class!!! My 2 previous exams I scored 79% and then 80%. I just have to really know what I am doing for the next exam and then the final because I don't think those tests will be take-home at all. So I have to work on some relaxation techniques or something; I do poorly on the in-class tests because I have so much anxiety and only 50 minutes to finish, and I just kind of freak out. :

Anyone else suffer from test anxiety? It is only this extreme for me for math. I am not effected this way when it comes to any other subject. Can anyone relate or am I just weird?

Good luck to everyone on the home stretch!
#25 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 PM

yeah, I suffer horribly from test anxiety!!!! thought i was having a heart attack this afternoon

but its over, and i think i did well. it helped that he posted a study sheet!

now i can shift my anxiety onto the next assignment......school is really hard for me, i take it way too seriously. GPA is attached to financial aid. good scores= good GPA. Good GPA= financial aid. I just don't let it go. I wish I was taking classes i really enjoyed.........

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#26 of 128 Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM

I struggle with test anxiety too which makes it difficult.
I only have 2 exams this semester, and one is a take home and the other is in the classroom which is better then writing in a big gym. So that should help. I hope. Well mid term and small assignment for today are done. They went well. The mid-term went really well (it just flowed) so I was the first one done. yikes

#27 of 128 Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 AM

I"m too am not a fan of tests, but I get through them by thinking about how much better they are going to be much better when I'm a professor

Sorry. I hope that doesn't sound as if I am trivializing your test anxiety. I too have always "cared" sooo much. It makes it very un-nerving. What GPA is required for financial aid where you are? For me, the pressure was always taht I wanted to get into grad school (which did happen, yeah) and so I was incredibly nervous about having a nearly perfect GPA so I could go on. And so i got into grad school and thought......"I can relax now. Nobody really cares about the GPA in grad school."
Well.
Sigh.

You can get like a "B" like once or something. You have to get As to stay in grad school. A B is like failing. An A- is like a C.

So when my professor says taht the twenty page paper i have to hand her need not be more than a draft because nothing you do in grad school is ever finished, I"m terrified about what "draft" means. If I had had an exam this quarter I'd probably have died. Although an exam is done in one day a 20page paper takes weeks of anxiety.

Anyway..glad you got through it. Sorry I'm rambling!
#28 of 128 Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Rosidox - wooohooo, congrats on the 99%.

Gradmama - I didn't realize you can get booted from grad school if you don't get high grades. I mean I knew you could if you failed out but wow the pressure! Right now I'm just hoping I get *in* to grad school. My first go round at the University I went from academic scholarship to academically disqualified so no way will I be able to get my GPA up to a 3.0. I'm just hoping that with a good GRE, a solid statement of intent (I'm going into speech pathology and have two kids on the autism spectrum so have experience as a 'client', hoping that helps!) and good recommendations that I'll be OK. This is a state University and the advisor I met with sounded very promising about my likelihood of admission. Oh well, I have until 2010 to worry about that hehe.

I, too, suffer from test anxiety it turns out. I never did until this semester. My first test of the year I was so wound up the night before that I was practically drinking my rescue remedy to calm me down. This was an open-note online test too. The second and third tests I was more calm for, thank goodness.

Is anyone taking a class over the winter break? I just signed up for Developmental Psychology and not sure if I'm going to be studying solo hehe.
#29 of 128 Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM

ediesmom -- Sorry you deal with test anxiety too. (I almost wrote 'text anxiety', which would really suck for anyone who participates on a message board!) I also take school way too seriously. I wish I could tone it down, but I just don't know how. I bet you know exactly what I mean.

tinytina -- Too bad you are also part of our test anxiety club. But awesome that things flowed for your midterm. That had to have been a really great feeling!

gradmama -- That sounds like so much pressure! Now I am all worried. I'm concerned with keeping up my GPA because I want to go to grad school, too. Is it a myth then that you can relax somewhat once you finally become a grad student? I was really looking forward to that aspect of life as a student! BTW, what are you studying?

MyTwoAs -- s to you too! What do you think was different about this year that you had to suddenly deal with test anxiety? And, just wondering, do you find Rescue Remedy helpful? I have never tried it. I hear it mentioned all the time on MDC, but I've never asked anyone about their experiences with it. What is it? Herbs?

And good luck over the winter break! I am not signed up for any classes. I don't think my school even offers classes over the break. But I will be reading an Intro Chem book on my own. I have a 200 level Chem class this Spring, and it has been over 10 years since I have been exposed to any kind of Chemistry!! I am really nervous about it. :

I'll catch up with you all later!
#30 of 128 Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Rosidox - I think I was anxious because I actually *care* about schooling this time. I was 17 and from a small town with strict parents when I went to college. I was intellectually together but had no street smarts and was quite immature.

Rescue Remedy is a flower-based remedy. It definitely works for me, although not 100% of the time. For those times it doesn't, and I really need to squish the anxiety, I have a prescription.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page