pumping woes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2003, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm trying to get a stash built up in the freezer before I go back to work (2 weeks left ) and I am having no luck with my pumping. The other times I pumped I semed to have little problem getting tons of milk. I pumped three times since this weekend. Sat night I only got about a half ounce! So I tried again yesterday morning and I got I got three ounces. BUt then this morning I pumped again and got only half an ounce!

I'm going to LLL tonight to get some help, but thought I'd see if you mamas have any words of wisdom for me. Al my plans for returnt o work had been goign so well, but now this is really worrying me.
#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2003, 02:08 PM

In a word...patience. I know it's really stressful. I have been right where you are. But, the fluctuation in supply and pumping volume is normal, especially in the beginning. And, to make it worse, stress plays a big role in the whole thing. So, the more worried you are about it, the worse it will be. I often had a 4 ounce morning one day, and then a 0 ounce morning the next. I almost never got much in the evenings, so once I was able to get a bit of a stash, I stopped pumping then.

Hang in there....LLL will have some good advice for you, I'm sure. And it hasn't been that long...give your body time to adjust to your new demand.
#3 of 4 Old 08-12-2003, 08:56 AM

hang in there! if you're just starting to pump, your body probably has to get used to letting down to the pump instead of the baby. Try repositioning the horns (I usually get some milk flow initially, then it will stop so I'll break the suction on the horns and put them back on to get things going again)

visualization of your baby often helps with let down; also try adjusting the suction on the pump (more or less) - I usually start out at the lowest setting for a minute or two and then put it at about 3/4 of max (I can't stand max); you could try getting up in the morning before your baby to pump and nursing afterward - I find that I can pump and then nurse my dd shortly afterward and she still gets enough (although most people say to pump after nursing)

you might try a hand pump to get things started -- I've heard that some people respond better to that

I've never been able to build a stash (not enough of a supply in general) so I think my dd got formula on my first full day back at work; but when I am at work, I am able to pump enough for the next day

Keep working at it and don't beat yourself up over it -- stress plays a big factor -- also drink tons of water

There's also a yahoo user group for pumping/working moms that has good advice -- I know there's another thread on mdc that mentions it (sorry I don't know the link)

good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 08-12-2003, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I got four ounces this morning!!!!

I tried a little massage, and all of a sudden I was gushing. Hope it works again next time!! I'm feeling better about it now. Got some good support at LLL last night too, so I think we'll be okay. I'm just dreading that first day. Luckily DS will be with DH, and my first week back is just teacher staff development and getting my classroom ready, so if I need ot leave early because we're out of milk I can, or else DH can bring in DS for a visit. Realizing that took the stress off a bit. Now we just have to hope that DS doesn't get too mad about the bottle whiel I'm gone. He's never realy taken more than and ounce while I'm away, but then again I've never been gone for more than two hours.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page