Changing pre-schools? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my 4.75 yo looks at me the other day (after a week out of school) and asks if she could just skip the rest of pre-school and go right to kindy.

It's a lovely day care and pre-school, but they hired a terrible teacher for their one room of 4 year olds, she rigid, shaming, bossy and doesn't even appear to like kids, no ECE and I think she's pursuing a biology degree. This doesn't appear to be her thing. I discussed this once with the director after she said "What are you three? Take your hands out of your mouth." at lunch and after another incident. Day Care director indicated that they are working with her and she'd had complaints about the rigidity and bossiness but the shaming was the first she'd heard.

I'm now realizing that my girls attitude and everything that been so troublesome is imitating this behavior from school. The teacher comes from a culture where children are spoken to in 1-way, but they are not supposed to respond in that way to adults. This is NOT how the day care is generally run (very respectful) nor how our house is run.

So, I'm actually thinking that I should find a new place for 7-8 months - Jan through August when she'll start school. I asked the 4 yo if she would miss her friends etc. She says no and she wants to learn to read anyway. I'm not even sure if this is possible or how she will integrate into another pre-school where the kids have probably been going since the beginning of the year or longer. I guess she'd be OK - she's very outgoing, if a little bossy. Generally talks to kids easily and adults with no problem. It just seems such a difficult situation. I haven't even called any places yet so I don't know if this is possible.

What do you guys think? A phase she'll get over? Or dire cry for help? She was just so sincere and articulate and I had been thinking about my options. I don't think the teacher is capable of the kind of change required. I think she was a bad hire, but I have an idea what they were trying to get at when they hired her.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 AM

I just switched my son from a Pre-K in a day care to a pre-K in a Reggio Emilia preschool. We switched for the same reasons you're listing in your post... the teacher was just too rigid and controlling for my son's personality. He really clashed with her. It was our first experience with day care and he only started in October, but I had a long list of complaints about the place, starting with the fact that my son was just miserable at that school.

So even though he will be going to Kindergarten next August (same as your DD) I found another school for him. It was the right thing to do. He seems so much happier - separates from me easily in the mornings, and is happy and playing when I pick him up in the afternoons. It's only been a couple of days, so he's still not a big proponent of school, but overall he seems so much happier.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

I'm not even sure if this is possible or how she will integrate into another pre-school where the kids have probably been going since the beginning of the year or longer. I guess she'd be OK - she's very outgoing, if a little bossy. Generally talks to kids easily and adults with no problem. It just seems such a difficult situation. I haven't even called any places yet so I don't know if this is possible.
Well, for what it's worth... my son is very social, makes friends and communicates easily with both children and adults, and has integrated beautifully into his new class. These kids have been together for a long time, and both the teacher and the director have mentioned to me that it's like he's been there the whole time.

Honestly that's one of the things that bothered me the most about his old school. He never formed attachments to either the teachers or the students. He hasn't mentioned them once since he left for the last time, unless it was to ask me if he had to go to school and see them again. When I said no, he was relieved.

User Tag List