Nanny Cam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in a nanny share situation and have agreed to use a nanny cam. Please recommed yours!!

Where did you get it?
Did you install it yourself or did someone install it for you?
Do you have more than one?
Where do you have it/them?

Help! Thank you!

ETA: See below post, this is on consent of the nanny, not spying because we are distrustful

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#2 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed to use a nanny cam? Why is a nanny cam needed/necessary?

My thoughts...if you feel the need to have a nanny cam, then you should find another nanny.

As a former nanny (in my earlier years) and a mother (now), what a horrible invasion of privacy. Yucky.
#3 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
We are in a nanny share situation and have agreed to use a nanny cam. Please recommed yours!!

Where did you get it?
Did you install it yourself or did someone install it for you?
Do you have more than one?
Where do you have it/them?

Help! Thank you!
I woud just google nanny cam, I know there are companies that specialize in these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post
Agreed to use a nanny cam? Why is a nanny cam needed/necessary?

My thoughts...if you feel the need to have a nanny cam, then you should find another nanny.

As a former nanny (in my earlier years) and a mother (now), what a horrible invasion of privacy. Yucky.
Do you actually think that parents who have found out that their nannies were abusive, neglectful, unfit, or just not upto snuff thought that would ever happen with their nanny?

I don't blame the OP at all for wanting/requiring a nannycam.
#4 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 AM

I just watched the nanny diaries last nite.. you should watch it.
#5 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM

Please let the nanny know that this will be in place. If he or she agrees to it, there's nothing wrong with it. I would personally agree to being viewed but wouldn't want to work for people who hid it.
#6 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Nanny cams are completely disrespectful. If you don't trust your nanny w/ your child, then don't hire a nanny. If you want to see what she is doing when you're not around, then come home "early".

But spying on people. WRONG WRONG WRONG.
#7 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 AM

I agree you should let her know there is a cam. Some states have laws that you can't audio record someone without their consent so I would check that out too. Personally, I think if you feel a need to record your nanny you don't trust her then she shouldn't be your nanny. I'm a nanny going on 5 years and I know I'd be upset if the family hid a cam from me.

Wife to Chiro DH, TTC #1 since May 07 Hoping for a after many losses
#8 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle View Post
Do you actually think that parents who have found out that their nannies were abusive, neglectful, unfit, or just not upto snuff thought that would ever happen with their nanny?
I think that when people don't listen to their intuition/instincts/doubts about a person, it is dangerous.

I have known a few families that KNEW something felt "wrong," but didn't trust, or downplayed, those feelings. Sadly, and unfortunately, there was something wrong (I was the reporter of two of those instances).

BTW: I have absolutely NO problem with a nanny cam...as long as the nanny is aware of it.
#9 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM

I agree that people should listen to their intuition, but maybe she is feeling nothing but still wants to be sure. It would be better if the nanny knew, I agree, but I don't think its an invasion of her privacy if she doesn't know. She won't be installing it in the bathroom I'm sure.
#10 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 PM

As someone who has nannied multiple times, they disgust me. At least tell her you'll be installing one.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#11 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM

On the one hand, I understand the worry. But on the other hand, how would you feel if someone taped you while you thought you were alone?? It's possible that your nanny could change her shirt/pick her nose/scratch her butt in front of the camera. Definitely tell her you're putting one in, if you do decide to.
#12 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM

If I felt I had to have a nanny cam, then I would not hire that nanny.

Gavin deBecker's Protecting the Gift gives valuable advice about how to interview potential child care givers.

My .02
#13 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post

Gavin deBecker's Protecting the Gift gives valuable advice about how to interview potential child care givers.
yeah that.
#14 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
On the one hand, I understand the worry. But on the other hand, how would you feel if someone taped you while you thought you were alone?? It's possible that your nanny could change her shirt/pick her nose/scratch her butt in front of the camera. Definitely tell her you're putting one in, if you do decide to.

Exactly. People do things when they think they are alone that they wouldn't do w/ a camera on. Just a few minutes ago I pulled my pants down b/c I felt a bump on my thigh and it was bugging me. If I had a camera on me while doing this very private and embarassing thing I would be PISSED.

It SICKENS me to think that people tape someone w/put their knowledge.

And...as a former Nanny and nanny agency manager, I will tell you that MANY nannies are mistreated, and this is a perfect example of how. I would not work w/ a family that was going to record their nanny w/out the nanny's knowledge.
#15 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post

My .02
Glad someone else brought this up. Gavin deBecker also said if you feel the need for a nanny cam you should not employ that nanny--the feeling you have--the fact you distrust that person--is enough to signal that you should not leave your child with them.

To rephrase that--
1. you shouldn't ever leave your child with someone you don't trust. No matter who, no matter why.
2. If you feel the need to videotape your caregiver, it means you don't trust them.
3. See #1

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#16 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Do you want the Nanny-Cam to check up on the caregiver, or to peek in on your kids? I completely agree with everyone who posted above that taping your nanny without her consent is tacky and not a good idea. On the other hand, my little one is home with DH during the day, but we have a streaming video webcam that we put in the playroom and which I can watch online from work. I love feeling like I get to be a part of his day, even while I'm at the office and think it's an awesome solution.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#17 of 22 Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Do you want the Nanny-Cam to check up on the caregiver, or to peek in on your kids? I completely agree with everyone who posted above that taping your nanny without her consent is tacky and not a good idea. On the other hand, my little one is home with DH during the day, but we have a streaming video webcam that we put in the playroom and which I can watch online from work. I love feeling like I get to be a part of his day, even while I'm at the office and think it's an awesome solution.

I have no problem at all w/ this. They had this at DS's former daycare and it was great to peek in on him. This is very different than spying though.
#18 of 22 Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, the nanny is the one that suggested it!! She said that she thinks it is a great way for us to check in on the kids whenever we want. She is a sweet lady in her early 50's and checks on her grandkids this way and loves it! Since she was so open to the idea we are going ahead with it.

I would never install anything without the consent of everyone involved, I think it is an invasion of privacy and would be an awful thing to do.

We have had one nanny previous to this and never used one, sorry if this is offensive to people, I really did not mean to offend or upset anyone.

ETA: I googled nanny cam and came up with lots of stuff but not a lot of companies, any suggestions would be great!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#19 of 22 Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM

I'm relieved to hear it was the nanny's idea

I wonder if it would be cheaper to set up a webcam in the main room, that you can view from a website? As far as I know with nanny cams, they're hidden cameras that you take a tape out of to play once the nanny's gone.
#20 of 22 Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post

I would never install anything without the consent of everyone involved, I think it is an invasion of privacy and would be an awful thing to do.
THANK YOU!
#21 of 22 Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
I'm relieved to hear it was the nanny's idea

I wonder if it would be cheaper to set up a webcam in the main room, that you can view from a website? As far as I know with nanny cams, they're hidden cameras that you take a tape out of to play once the nanny's gone.
Yeah, we just use a standard eye-ball style webcam stuck on the top of the TV Armoire with velcro and a long USB cord. The Nanny-cam things are like... hidden in teddy bears and all sorts of weird stuff, with tapes that you playback later. There's no sense in paying $$$ for something like that when you just want a simple webcam setup. Do you have a tech-savvy friend you can ask for recommendations or something?

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#22 of 22 Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 PM

As someone who has worked as a nanny, as long as I knew about it, I wouldn't be offended or put out in the least if there was a nannycam/webcam around. It can be great for parents to check on the kids, or even for something as simple as feedback, especially in the beginning. There's always a learning curve with a new family...little things that you don't think about until they come up, or until it's pointed out that the parents would have done something differently

If I didn't know about it, and found out, I'd probably quit right then and there. What an invasion of privacy and lack of respect toward me as a professional! Not to mention, I'm not sure if it varies from state to state, but aren't there strict limitations on recording someone w/o their knowledge?

Now, if you told the nanny straight off you were going to use one, and THEN she objected, I'd certainly start looking for a new nanny.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page