holiday gift/bonus for child care providers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
p.s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last winter, ds had a FT babysitter/nanny, so we gave her a cash bonus of 1 week pay.

This year ds is in a small home day care.

What are you giving as holiday gift or bonus for your child care provider?

Just cash? gift too? Gift certificates? Spa treatments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Subbing because I would love to see other people's ideas, and also to hear from some childcare providers on what they really want!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM

I would also love to know - DS is in a group daycare situation, and has three primary caregivers (not exclusive, obviously) and one some-time caregiver - we are thinking $25 Dunkin Donuts gift cards for the primaries, and a $10 DD gift card for the sometimes person... but not really sure if that's too much, too little, just right - he's there for two extended days (7 a.m. to 5 p.m.) 2 days a week.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM

I usually do a gift card to a restaurant with a nice card and some baked goods. Last year it was cookies, this year I'm using my Amish Friendship bread starter to make bread to give with gifts.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM

DS is in a family daycare. I've heard the one week thing for those, too, but since my dcp gets paid holidays and vacation, it seems excessive. This will be his third holiday there, I've always given my DCP about a days pay, ($50), her assistant slightly less, and her daughter a small gift. This is prob DS's last holiday there so I am going to up it a bit. But not to a whole week ($300). I was thing $50 PLUS tickets to this show she and her daughter want to see, plus a small gift for her daughter (in case they can't use the tickets) plus $40 for the assistant who will also get some burt's bees stuff. Despite the guidelines of a week's pay my DCP has always seemed thrilled. I do the same on their birthdays.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Dd goes to another mom's house before and after school, probably about 50-60% of school days. I think she and I will just bake something for the family, and maybe give a little pretty something. Haven't done this before, but that feels about right.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 PM

I think a week's pay is a bit much. I was reading an article on MSN this morning about what teachers really want - no mugs with candy! They said they liked something for THEM, not the work, such as restaurant gift cards (with a thought to whether the teacher could/would shop at the place) or something the kids make.

I have ornaments that I decorated with the year on them, and DS is stuffing with icicles. I don't know what else to get. I've been on a binge of making spiced nuts, so I may send some. I'm really torn on the money versus time thing this year - doesn't seem to be much of either going around!

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM

When we used an in-home place 3 days/wk, I gave a weeks pay ($75) as a "Chistmas Bonus."

Now, that we use a daycare, I've never done anything. Not sure if I'm supposed to or not.

--LEE
Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM

wow, everyone is so generous. I was going to bring (or make) some cookies and give a card. DS is in a small center w/ 4-5 workers (throughout the day). I can hardly afford to pay his tuition let alone think about a bonus of 1 week

I;m a teacher and usually some (not most) will bring in something edible from their family. I truly believe it is the thought that counts!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we are still the scrooges of the bunch, though not as bad as we once were. We will give a homemade pr. of pants to dcp's son, a $25 gift card to a local kitchen store for dcp & her dp, and probably a nice plate of goodies as well. They are lovely people and always give us nice gifts & make us look bad
Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The parents of the other kids at ds2's centre got together and we are all giving the staff a full day off as a gift. There are 4 f/t staff.

We might give Starbucks gift certificates to ds1's care providers.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 PM

We have a f/t nanny and we give her a weeks pay and then something special form my son-usually something homemade.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 12-06-2007, 11:14 PM

When I was a nanny I received two week's pay.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 AM

last year i gave my in home DCP (DS goes 2 days a week, we pay $50/week) a weeks pay ($50) she seemed shocked but happy, so i guess i'm doing it again this year. i give money in some sort of little present, last year it was a silver ornament in a small pouch (the ornament was a regift
Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 AM
acp

We have a nanny, and I've been wondering what we should do. We've only had her for about a month, so a whole week's pay seems like a lot, but we'll probably give her something close to that. We talked about doing something else - a gift certificate, buying her something, etc, and in the end we decided that what she'd be happiest with was the extra cash, so that's what we'll give her.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM

I give mine a gift certificate for dinner and a movie. It's my sil, so I don't know if it matters, but her and my brother don't go out much.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Does anyone give gifts to the teachers in a daycare/learning center? My son has 2 teachers in his room and only one of them I know on a "talk to them daily" basis.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:24 PM

DS is in a home daycare. We'll probably do the same as last year and give ~1 weeks pay. I feel they could charge more, so I like to give them a nice "bonus" at Christmas time. We just put it in one card addressed to all the teachers (main DCP, her 2 adult daughters and 1 assistant) and then they can distrubute as they see fit.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
We have a nanny, and I've been wondering what we should do. We've only had her for about a month, so a whole week's pay seems like a lot, but we'll probably give her something close to that. We talked about doing something else - a gift certificate, buying her something, etc, and in the end we decided that what she'd be happiest with was the extra cash, so that's what we'll give her.
Just be careful about precedent-setting! We were generous with our sons' nanny the first year, though she had worked less than a year by holiday time. The next year, I think she expected a proportional increase in her bonus, because she had worked the whole year for us, but we didn't bump up her bonus by that much. I had the sense that it was less than she expected. If I had it to do again, I don't think I would have set expectations so high initially, with a large bonus the first year.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 PM

I am a daycare provider, and the gifts I LOVE are a free pedicure, or a gift card for dinner out.

The other things that have meant a lot to me over the years are the things the kids pick out themselves.

One year many many years ago (1982) Greggy M gave me a box of sweet n Low and bag of marshmellows. You couldn't possibly miss the pride on his face when I opened the gift that he wrapped himself. That one gift meant the world to me, even though, I have never used sweet n Low in my life. But, every year, I remember that.

I also like the small ornaments with the chid's first and last name and the year on the back. I love them especially years later when I might have forgotten about that child.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Just be careful about precedent-setting! .
I had worried about this too when my ds had a FT babysitter. But you know, in the long run, is that amount going to make a difference to us? No.

Would it to her in the short term? Yes.

We recently moved 600 mi away, which is why ds is no longer under her care, and I am thankful and glad that we can look back and feel good that we did our part well.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.s View Post
I had worried about this too when my ds had a FT babysitter. But you know, in the long run, is that amount going to make a difference to us? No.

Would it to her in the short term? Yes.

We recently moved 600 mi away, which is why ds is no longer under her care, and I am thankful and glad that we can look back and feel good that we did our part well.
This may be true for you, but not for us. For us, paying what I think she expected the next year was plain outside our budget, because of reasons we couldn't foresee the previous year (needed a new roof and a new car). But for us the bonus was not insignificant... a week's salary was about $500 for 4 days/wk. I regretted setting a precedent I couldn't outdo in subsequent years.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM

We're in a daycare center and spend a lot...we usually do AmEx gift checks for her primary teacher, ($100) and then dunkin' donuts cards for the several other workers who I know pitch in with her classroom, but aren't there full time. And I'll probably also give something to the lady who was took care of her when she was in the infant room, and her teacher from last year in the toddler room. And then I'll bring in cookies or flowers for the two women that own the center.

It's a lot, but I really love them all, they work really hard to help me all the time so it feels okay.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
, because of reasons we couldn't foresee the previous year (needed a new roof and a new car). But for us the bonus was not insignificant... a week's salary was about $500 for 4 days/wk. .
. Yes that is definitely not insignificant. It's hard to predict everything.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 AM

We have an au pair. We contributed $100 towards her plane ticket to go home for a week in January. We'll also get her something to open on Christmas - I'm thinking something about $25-$50 (maybe a cold-weather clothing item or a gift card), plus a homemade something from DD.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettsmommy View Post
Does anyone give gifts to the teachers in a daycare/learning center? My son has 2 teachers in his room and only one of them I know on a "talk to them daily" basis.
Last year the kids made handmade ornaments for each of their teachers and we plan to do the same again this year.

This year we're in a better position to give so we are debating on what to give as something extra: gift certifcates or cash. Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm a daycare provider/preschool teacher and I run my business in home. Many of my clients over the years have gotten me wonderful gifts at Christmas including a week's pay (very appreciated) and gift certificates for my hobbies or a night out with my husband (also very appreciated). I've also gotten super cheap gifts like a bottle of body lotion, an ornament, candles, mugs and cookies. I know it is sooooo not politically correct to say that these gifts weren't fully appreciated, but in all honesty, they weren't. I have paid out of my own pocket for field trips to enriching and educating places, have paid for fun entertainers and personal gifts at birthdays and on each holiday for each child in care. I put a lot of money into a solid curriculum with daily projects that come home, science projects and crafts. I pay extra for fresh fruits and veggies instead of canned and often make foods from scratch so the kids are getting pesticides and additives. When Mom & Dad forgot to bring diapers, wipes, creams and extra clothing...I have purchased extra to have on hand. When the children are sick, I have paid for the Tylenol, the orajel and the benedryl that Mom & Dad forgot to bring. Before figuring in all my expenses, I make about $3 per child an hour. When I realized this and was getting a plate of Christmas cookies as my bonus at the end of the year, I stopped doing all those extras too. We don't do the field trips or the entertainers and the personal gifts are now only on birthdays. The fruits and veggies are canned and the meals are convenient. If you forget diapers, I could try to borrow some from another parent. Come pick up the kids when they are sick. And don't worry about the Christmas cookie bonus...you're right that I don't deserve it.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM

sorry, I'm just super snarky lately.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 12-19-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Feeling View Post
Last year the kids made handmade ornaments for each of their teachers and we plan to do the same again this year.

This year we're in a better position to give so we are debating on what to give as something extra: gift certifcates or cash. Any thoughts?
I think cash is the best gift certificate. It's good anywhere and it never expires
--LEE
Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we contribute regularly to the staff bonus fund (about 10% of what we pay in tuition) - at this time of year, the fund is divided up amongst the staff. i almost think it is divided up evenly though we've got a new board and a new director so....

we also get a little something for the full-time teachers. i can't keep track of the part-time ones... frontier coop wins again. this year i picked out a lavendar spa-at-home thing for the lead teacher (lavendar because it is calming and how else would one unwind after dealing with 2 yr olds all day?). i noticed that the other teacher wears lipstick so i picked out an ecolips gift pack and an aura cacia lavendar body mist.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

User Tag List