Daycare and Naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been fortunate enough to be at home with DD for the past 8 months. However, the time has come for me to go back to work and I have to put DD in daycare. The one thing I'm worried about is her naps. Right now she takes 2 naps a day and sleeps from 7-7am. I spoke with the daycare today and told them what time she usually naps during the day (9:15 am and 1:30 pm). The lady then mentioned that she would have to get DD on their schedule (they have older kids and they all take a nap around 11:30 am). She mentioned giving DD a morning nap but scheduling her afternoon nap to the other childrens' nap. I guess I'm just a little concerned because I've been SO protective of DD's naps and making sure she gets her rest because she just looses it when she is overtired. Am I just being overly concerned and everything will be Ok? I'm worried that if she gets up too early from her afternoon nap that she will be a mess by the time I pick her up (around 4:30/5:00 pm) and won't make it to her bedtime. I also don't want to give her a nap when I get home because then she won't go to bed until much later which won't work for us because DH and I go to bed at 8:00 pm. Any advice/encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I'm already having a difficult time having to put her in daycare in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 AM

What are the ages of the class she will be in? When my DS was the same age as your DD, he was in the infant room and there was no "class" schedule. He was able to nap on his own schedule. It wasn't until he moved into the toddler room (@16 months) that the whole class began to nap at the same time and at that point, he had already transitioned to just one nap, so it wasn't a huge adjustment for him.

With that being said, I will say neither of my kids have been great nappers at school. My younger DS is better than his older brother was, but he still gets about 1.5 to 2 hrs at best and comes home tired and cranky everyday. Yet, when he's home on the weekends or days I don't work, he will nap for about 3 hrs on average. Both of my boys are light sleepers and I think that is part of the problem. But all kids are different, and hopefully your DD will be a better napper than my kids are/were.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM

My experience with my DDs:
They were in DC situations where infants could nap whenever they wanted, but by 8 months they had conformed to the standard DC schedule (short morning nap and longer afternoon nap starting at 11:30 or 12).
They both slept longer and better at home . . .

My DD's often napped in the car on the ride home (about 20-30 minutes). This was a good refresher so they were awake and not cranky for dinner, but they were still tired at bedtime. In my experience, the activity of a DC day often lead to a crankier than I would have liked evening, but a nice EARLY bedtime.

My experience as a DC teacher (infants):
We never asked parents to get the kids on our schedule before they started coming. The activity in the room would re-program each child's schedule within 2-3 weeks. Morning naps would shorten because older children were playing. They would eat lunch a little earlier because they took a shorter morning nap. They would sleep in the afternoon sooner because they were full from lunch and the room was calm and dark.
The "good" sleepers would sleep longer. The "bad" sleepers we learned to put them in the far corner of the room so they were away from the older children who woke up earlier.

--LEE
Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 PM

She's 8 months? She'll still be needing 2 naps I would think. My oldest started daycare at 3ish so before that he napped when he wanted. He got on their schedule pretty quick.

My youngest was in a daycare where he'd nap whenever he wanted/needed to. We switched him to a different daycare in August and he followed their schedule pretty quick. She gave him lots of time to adjust and helped him get used to a new routine and now he's doing great.

I think, at least in the beginning, she should be allowed to nap when she needs it. The daycare alone will take some time to adjust to.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM

My DS started daycare at 8 mo. He was still taking 2-3 naps at home. At DC he naps 1 time (anywhere from 10 min. - 1.5 hours.) He also naps on the car ride home 20-30 min. He has slept from 6-6 since he was very little and still does. It means I do nothing except focus on DS from the time I get home until he goes to bed. I wish the DC had more time to focus on getting DS his afternoon nap, but it has rarely happened. Interestingly, after about 2 months he seems fine with this schedule and is happy when I pick him up. I make it a point to play with him at DC while he is happy and chipper. When he gets home he is mostly wanting to be held/carried and nurse for 2 hours (on and offf, but mostly on.)

I have learned to enjoy this routine-- knowing it will eventually change. It means 2-3 hours of play time, bath, then put DS to bed, and then DP and I get a few hours to ourselves (including our own dinner) before going to bed around 9PM.

It is hard, but I find there were many little positives to be found once my DS got into his routine.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your replies. It is making me feel better. I'm just nervous about the whole daycare thing to begin with but hearing from youall makes me realize that things will not be as bad as I think they will. :

User Tag List