On the job hunt - revealing family status ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm in a full-time MBA program and am about to start interviewing for summer internships. As is the way in MBA land, "leadership" is the buzzword that will never die. Many students have various leadership-py things they're doing at school to signal their amazing world changing potential but my extracurricular involvement at school as been solely centered around making the program more mom friendly, including starting up a Mothers in Business group. After initially leaving this off my resume, I finally tacked it at the bottom in the "Additional" section. I feel completely comfortable about acknowledging this (after all, just because I've started the group doesn't mean that I necessarily have kids ...) but given the norm towards 'don't ask, don't tell' regarding family status when job hunting, I don't want to make potential employers feel uncomfortable. Am I revealing information that I shouldn't?? Will I regret this?

(The associate dean of the program, who has 3 kids, told me she has never hesitated to be open about the fact that she has kids and career services, which approves resumes before you're allowed to distribute them, didn't seem to have a problem with this.)

Would love to hear your opinions/experiences!

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#2 of 9 Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There was just a study on this topic, from Yale I think. They sent out the same resume, but with PTA president on one in the additional section. The Mom resumes were rated much lower than the others.

Sad to say, but I'd probably leave it off.
#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ha. Well, I guess one opinion was all I needed ... I just uploaded a revised version of my resume without that section. It's been nagging me for weeks ... I've applied to some positions already but not yet to my most desired positions ... still interested in further feedback but thought I'd post that update.

#4 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 PM

As a hiring manager, I expect resumes to show why you are the best candidate. I see a lot of "love the outdoors, fishing, hiking..." or volunteer experience that has nothing to do with the job. If you can show/explain why forming this group should be important to your future employers, go for it. If it makes you feek more comfortable you can be a bit more vague about the name. Something like "Founder of a group to encourage non-traditional (or women or XXX) students in the MBA prgram." If you have measurable sucess, I would include that as well - "Our members have a X.X gpa average" or something similar.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#5 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to follow up and say that about half my resumes went out w/o the "mom stuff" on it and half with and I received invitations to interview from everyone I applied to. I ended up using a version of the sans "mom" resume for most of my interviews but I didn't notice any difference between interview experiences based on which version of the resume the interviewer was viewing. In the end I secured a position with my favorite firm (supposed to be very employee friendly).

Not that anyone was interested but I just wanted to share that experience. Not a controlled experiment by any means but made feel less anxious about keeping my parenthood an absolute secret.

I also can't help but add that the employers that I interview with like to see non-job related stuff at the bottom. It is universal among my classmates and employers inquire about it if it's not on the resume anyway. If you spend 60+ hours/week with co-workers, they like to know a little more about who they're going to be working with. So I would have to respectfully disagree with MamaChicken that everything on the resume must be obviously job related. It's personal preference - I think it's the most interesting part of the resume myself.

#6 of 9 Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 AM

i got that advice to add personal stuff on the bottom when i was in law sch too. but trust me, by 3 years out, nobody cares!

i think whether you want to disclose family status, regardless of that line on the bottom of your resume, depends on how much accommodation you will be seeking for family stuff. i, for example, want limited to no travel until dd is 12 mos., time to pump, and i will want part-time (haven't disclosed yet). if they are looking for someone to put in 3000 billable hours, i am not a good fit for them right now, and i don't mind signaling that. however, i can't do it directly -- what am i going to say, i am mommy tracking myself and intentionally looking for positions lower than my qualifications?

i am upfront about my daughter because i left my last job when i had her, so the question is always, what are you doing now and my answer is obvious to me. i have to say, my most recent interviewer then asked my marital status.
#7 of 9 Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think it depends on the status of your child care situation. If you are a single mom and you won't have child care when your daycare is closed or your nanny or whoever watches the kids decides to skip or gets sick then you may want a job where they value children and are okay with this type of thing. If you are in a situation where your children won't affect your attendance then you should leave it off.
#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 AM

I was really pleased to hear that the mom-related stuff didn't affect how the interviews went!

Gives me a bit more faith in the workforce.

Proud Mummy to Zoe, my nutty preschooler : (11/05) and Daniel, my homebirthed baby (12/09)
#9 of 9 Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
i am upfront about my daughter because i left my last job when i had her, so the question is always, what are you doing now and my answer is obvious to me. i have to say, my most recent interviewer then asked my marital status.
Gorgeous. How'd you handle it?

Seriously, stuff like this is why I wish women would routinely record job interviews. For quality assurance, of course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page