FTM--Going back to work early - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my son was born on 11/23, and I was going to try to avoid going back to work until at least February, but that's not going to be possible. My husband has PTSD and it's been interfering with his work--to the point that his psychotherapist had him take three weeks off for med management. He's been at that job for three years, and it gets worse every month. He wants to get out, but he has our health insurance, and he's been putting off a career change for months as our family situation needed him to be employed. With this latest exacerbation, I realized that he really needs to get out, so I need to go back to work.

Anyways, I'm a CNA by licence, and I'm looking to get into night-shift work. For one, I can make more money, and for another, I'm more likely to get a break to pump on the night shift. Should I mention that I'm breastfeeding and will need to pump in an interview? Or should I wait until after I get hired? Has anyone else left a baby younger than two months to go back to work? I hate leaving him, but I don't see another choice for our family; someone has to make the money and get the health insurance, and we don't qualify for state benefits.

Does anyone have any other advice for a FTM going back to work?

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CNA is cert. nursing assit, right? I've heard good things about finding work in the nursing field everywhere. I know there are nurse-moms on this board.

Avoid pumping IN the interview. Pump in the car before you go in. But DO tell them you are BF a tiny baby and will need to pump. They shouldn't give you a hard time because he's <2 months. You may have obstacles later though. . .

I'm sorry you will have to leave your LO, but the best advise I can give you is to start pumping NOW! And if he doesn't take a bottle yet, start NOW! You will need a freezer stash of EBM - at least one-two shifts worth of milk is a start. But anything is better than nothing.

Do you have childcare? Will DH be handling it? CAN DH handle it?

I would suggest posting on the mental health board about DH and asking for advise/help there. I post on MH because DH has Bipolar2 and I have (had?) pregnancy depression.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
--LEE

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page