Study Support Thread II - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you guys study? Pre-marriage and kids, I studied in my dorm room/bedroom, on my bed. It was my thing. It worked for me. I never, ever went to a library.

Now, I'm fast learning that trying to get anything done with 3 kids, my husband and my mother in the house is nearly futile. But I am having a hard time NOT being a SAHM anymore, and I hate the idea of packing up my belongings to go to a library. I can't even be around my kids? It's bad enough that I'm not there all the time, but now I need to leave more?

It just makes me sad. My mom moved in a bit over 2 weeks ago JUST to take care of the kids for me to go to school, but they're already becoming so dependant on her. It's hard to know I need to leave the house on the weekends, too and miss even more time with them.

Do your families give you the peace you need to study at home, or do you have to bail, too?

Busy, hectic, HAPPY single mom to 3 awesome kiddos jumpers.gif DD1 (10) DS (8) DD2 (6)

#62 of 125 Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM

I cannot get anything done at home. Trying is just a disaster. I will work at a friend's house, Panera, or school. My kids are just too needy when I am home. The terms I did study mainly at home, my grades slipped and the quality of my work was significantly lower.
#63 of 125 Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Last semester i studied at home. Dh had to be home, and he would take them to the kids room and play, or else i would try and do it after kids went to bed. This semester i might try studying a bit more outside the home. Libraries are too quiet for me, i loose focus. So maybe a coffee shop or something. We'll see. I felt like i didn't get enough study time in last semester and my grades were B's which was lower than i had hoped.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#64 of 125 Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah7 View Post
Where do you guys study? Pre-marriage and kids, I studied in my dorm room/bedroom, on my bed. It was my thing. It worked for me. I never, ever went to a library.
I am planning to study tomorrow, and there is no way I can do it at home. Even though my dsd will be at her mom's this week so the house will be a bit quiet, DF and DS are enough distraction.

I used to totally be a bed studier, though! I still miss having a laptop and being able to be online from bed. And when I was in school last, you still had to have a cord hooking to up to the ethernet!

love.gif

#65 of 125 Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I had to make the executive decision to spend Friday night and Saturday in bed, resting-relaxing and pumping fluids, rest, drugs, ice cream/popsicles (sore throat) and I am happy to say I feel a 100 times better then I did Friday, not a 100% yet but better.

Went to work for 4 hours today, got some reading done while at work, then I have taken easy again tonight, got kinda wore out at work.

Did get my chapter read for exceptional learners.

Will go do an assignment at the library on campus tomorrow evening after class.

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#66 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Now, I'm fast learning that trying to get anything done with 3 kids, my husband and my mother in the house is nearly futile. But I am having a hard time NOT being a SAHM anymore, and I hate the idea of packing up my belongings to go to a library. I can't even be around my kids? It's bad enough that I'm not there all the time, but now I need to leave more?

It just makes me sad. My mom moved in a bit over 2 weeks ago JUST to take care of the kids for me to go to school, but they're already becoming so dependant on her. It's hard to know I need to leave the house on the weekends, too and miss even more time with them.

Do your families give you the peace you need to study at home, or do you have to bail, too?
Um...no (where's the head-shaking smilie). They've never given me the space to study at home. At times, I have had to literally live in my bedroom and truly ignore the rest of the house. Seriously. Now, I'm doing a little better but I honestly do not study much at home unless it is after the girls go to bed. I leave when they go to school or soon after and I come home about the time they do (unless i have a class).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
Last semester i studied at home. Dh had to be home, and he would take them to the kids room and play, or else i would try and do it after kids went to bed. This semester i might try studying a bit more outside the home. Libraries are too quiet for me, i loose focus. So maybe a coffee shop or something. We'll see. I felt like i didn't get enough study time in last semester and my grades were B's which was lower than i had hoped.
I generally feel this way as well about libraries, but the library here has balconies overlooking the ocean so sometimes I can stand it! I also like to study at coffeeshops and with others' (even if its independent study).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytina View Post
Hello everyone, I had to make the executive decision to spend Friday night and Saturday in bed, resting-relaxing and pumping fluids, rest, drugs, ice cream/popsicles (sore throat) and I am happy to say I feel a 100 times better then I did Friday, not a 100% yet but better.

Went to work for 4 hours today, got some reading done while at work, then I have taken easy again tonight, got kinda wore out at work.

Did get my chapter read for exceptional learners.

Will go do an assignment at the library on campus tomorrow evening after class.
I'm glad you are doing much better! I drove to another city two hours away and back today for a training so I am exhausted and I have a stats paper due on Tuesday and I really don't have time to do it tomorrow. I'd better work on it tonight, but I'd rather sleep. Sigh..

Hugs everyone!
#67 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Still sick here. Yesterday I chose to rest for a minute instead of doing any work at all. Luckily, I'm not behind on anything, I'm ahead on all my reading and the assignments due this week are not complicated. Dh has OT and PT this morning then I'm off to catch up on HW and other work. It's going to be a long day.
#68 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I did end up studying for 3 hours on Saturday and accomplished a lot. I was feeling great about going to the wine party, so we drove 30 min to my mom's, had dinner, dropped off DS and then drove 45 min to the city. When we got there, no one was there! So I called my friend and she wasn't answering. Long story short, I found out that I had the wrong day! It's next weekend. I felt like the biggest idiot. DP and I went out and had a beer anyway but now I'm not sure I can go next Saturday. Oh well.

Yesterday I actually read a couple of pages while watching the NFC championship game! I decided that having a goal for homework and sticking to it rather than just saying "oh, I can do it later" works really well for me.

I don't have class today so am taking it easy but I still plan on doing something!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#69 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

oops! Double post.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#70 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I'm interested to see how this works in my family since tomorrow is my first day back at school since having my children. I'm almost 100% positive that studying at home will be near impossible with a 2 1/2 yo and an 8 mo. DH and I are both going back to school so we are working on a weekly schedule that includes time for both of us to study out side of the house. I guess it's time to start putting my kiddos to sleep before 10pm now so I can get some studying done at home at night, too.

Is there anyone else here who is going to school and working outside of the home at the same time? I think I'm going to have a really hard time adjusting to being away from home that many hours a week. But I keep reminding myself that in just a couple of short years, our lives will be so much better because of the sacrifices we are making today...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#71 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM

I do all of my studying at home. My son is in 1st grade and my daughter is in preschool. I get 2.5 hours of alone time from Tues - Fri where I study. My courses are online so if I have an exam or assessment I usually do it when the kids are gone. Other than that I study in the car waiting to pick them up from school, after they go to bed, and on weekends when my husband can keep them entertained.

I may have to head out to the coffee shop for some study time this semester as I'm taking 17 credits as opposed to 9 last semester.
#72 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

AHHHH!!!! My professor is requiring the use of academic journals that the U does not have. He did NOT tell us that we'd have to use these specific journals, he also failed to mention that the University may not have access to all the academic research we may need to complete the course.

To top it off, all assignments are to be submitted electronically and he doesn't actually open the electronic assignment, I think he forgets to. Geez.......it's like he thinks I have tons of extra time to hunt him down or something.....
#73 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel View Post
AHHHH!!!! My professor is requiring the use of academic journals that the U does not have. He did NOT tell us that we'd have to use these specific journals, he also failed to mention that the University may not have access to all the academic research we may need to complete the course.

To top it off, all assignments are to be submitted electronically and he doesn't actually open the electronic assignment, I think he forgets to. Geez.......it's like he thinks I have tons of extra time to hunt him down or something.....
OK that is just absurd! How do they expect you to complete your work then?
#74 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I'm interested to see how this works in my family since tomorrow is my first day back at school since having my children. I'm almost 100% positive that studying at home will be near impossible with a 2 1/2 yo and an 8 mo. DH and I are both going back to school so we are working on a weekly schedule that includes time for both of us to study out side of the house. I guess it's time to start putting my kiddos to sleep before 10pm now so I can get some studying done at home at night, too.

Is there anyone else here who is going to school and working outside of the home at the same time? I think I'm going to have a really hard time adjusting to being away from home that many hours a week. But I keep reminding myself that in just a couple of short years, our lives will be so much better because of the sacrifices we are making today...
I think that its great that you and your partner are working it out so you each have some study time. And yes, I think you should probably get the babies to bed earlier if possible, because even if you aren't studying at that point, you will want to sleep! I have worked outside the home the entire time I was getting my BA. I just took a part-time job again, although its temporary. This is in addition to grad school (although I'm not TAing...). It can be done, yes you will be away from home, you will be tired.......but I think/hope/pray the rewards are great enough. I will say that my girls are older so it probably isn't as difficult in some ways, but in others.....oh my. Like my middle daughters two basketball teams that mean I am getting her to five or six basketball events a week..... sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTwoAs View Post
I do all of my studying at home. My son is in 1st grade and my daughter is in preschool. I get 2.5 hours of alone time from Tues - Fri where I study. My courses are online so if I have an exam or assessment I usually do it when the kids are gone. Other than that I study in the car waiting to pick them up from school, after they go to bed, and on weekends when my husband can keep them entertained.

I may have to head out to the coffee shop for some study time this semester as I'm taking 17 credits as opposed to 9 last semester.
Yes- I always try to take a book with me whereever I go. I read all the time...
MyTwoAs -- hows the 17 credits going?

Quote:

This doesn't make sense. Do you have online access? Can I help?
#75 of 125 Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks for asking Gradmama - so far so good. I was overwhelmed last week when the bulk of my courses started because I still had to study for a final from a previous class - so for a week I was at 20 credit hours hehe. I aced the final so that's behind me.

My Buddhism class is way more intense than I thought it was going to be - thankfully it is only a five week class and the topic is interesting. I think that I am finally in a groove with regards to studying.
#76 of 125 Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 AM

I found ONE of the 20+ journals as a hard copy on campus. So that's done.

Luckily, I built enough wiggle room into my study plan that I'm not behind at all after taking some time of to rest. Still sick, but can't take any more time.
#77 of 125 Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Luckily, I built enough wiggle room into my study plan that I'm not behind at all after taking some time of to rest. Still sick, but can't take any more time.
Whew, I'm glad you found the journal! I hope you start to feel better soon.
#78 of 125 Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM

I'm still sick too and I think I am trying to hard to get everything done.

I read 2 chapters in my novel for class last night. A chapter in another textbook, started an assignment which I finished this morning.

#79 of 125 Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 AM

Hey Student Mamas,

I'm glad you all are doing okay. I actually got a paper done EARLY. 1400+ words on the DOJ and health care fraud. It was very interesting, to say the least. I think that's why I finished it so quickly. It also makes me glad to know that I am FINALLY in the right field, to write a paper that gets my blood and brain going.

Do any of you know any PH grad students, or any MPH mamas here?

Peace..
#80 of 125 Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Good for you MamaChel - I'm way behind and I can't really blame it on being sick. It seems like everyday I do everything I'm supposed to do (and then some) and yet, I feel so behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitstwins View Post
Hey Student Mamas,

I'm glad you all are doing okay. I actually got a paper done EARLY. 1400+ words on the DOJ and health care fraud. It was very interesting, to say the least. I think that's why I finished it so quickly. It also makes me glad to know that I am FINALLY in the right field, to write a paper that gets my blood and brain going.

Do any of you know any PH grad students, or any MPH mamas here?

Peace..
That's awesome - getting a paper done early! Anytime that happens to me (rarely) its all I can do to not slack everything else off because suddenly so much pressure has been relieved. And yes, topic is everything!
What's PH and MPH (public health, pharmacology...)?

Hanging....
#81 of 125 Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
Good for you MamaChel - I'm way behind and I can't really blame it on being sick. It seems like everyday I do everything I'm supposed to do (and then some) and yet, I feel so behind!

That's awesome - getting a paper done early! Anytime that happens to me (rarely) its all I can do to not slack everything else off because suddenly so much pressure has been relieved. And yes, topic is everything!
What's PH and MPH (public health, pharmacology...)?

Hanging....
Oh shoot. Sorry. I meant public health mamas, or those who are in the process of obtaining a master's. I am taking the GMAT sometime this year.

And I totally feel you on the slacking. I am making myself do work ahead of the syllabus time line. I am starting to like the lack of pressure from refusing to procrastinate. Plus, I aced my last two assignments so that's really a booster for my ..um.. morale?

Wishing all of you happy and productive studying! And Aplusplusses.
#82 of 125 Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

I have found an unpleasant side effect of being ahead of the game: a decided lack of motivation. My study group met yesterday and could not get on task. We're generally ahead on the assignments, with the exception of one due this week that is in process and really small. We've grown so accustomed to operating under extreme pressure that the lack of pressure is demoralizing. So we rescheduled for today. Hopefully, we'll pull ourselves together a bit.
#83 of 125 Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitstwins View Post
Oh shoot. Sorry. I meant public health mamas, or those who are in the process of obtaining a master's. I am taking the GMAT sometime this year.

And I totally feel you on the slacking. I am making myself do work ahead of the syllabus time line. I am starting to like the lack of pressure from refusing to procrastinate. Plus, I aced my last two assignments so that's really a booster for my ..um.. morale?

Wishing all of you happy and productive studying! And Aplusplusses.
Good luck on the GMAT. I don't know how it compares to the GREs but those were stressful for me. Worked out tho....
Um.....yea on the getting ahead of the syllabus. Way not my style! wish it were. Good fo you!

Quote:
I have found an unpleasant side effect of being ahead of the game: a decided lack of motivation. My study group met yesterday and could not get on task. We're generally ahead on the assignments, with the exception of one due this week that is in process and really small. We've grown so accustomed to operating under extreme pressure that the lack of pressure is demoralizing. So we rescheduled for today. Hopefully, we'll pull ourselves together a bit.
Figures there would be a downside. Pressure relief does make it more easy to slack for me.......I actually lose momentum. Hope it went/goes better today!
#84 of 125 Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Hey everyone, hope you are doing well and doing lots of schoolwork. I am working on three assignments this week, I am about a third done the first one, have the research done for the second and a small start on writing it up.

#85 of 125 Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 AM

I just finished a draft for an assignment that is not due until 2/13. I'll send it to the professor for review. I have an assignment due Tues that I have not even started yet, it's not hard I'm just not motivated. I think everything else is finished for this week.
#86 of 125 Old 01-28-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I just finished a draft for an assignment that is not due until 2/13. I'll send it to the professor for review. I have an assignment due Tues that I have not even started yet, it's not hard I'm just not motivated. I think everything else is finished for this week.
Sounds like you're doing awesome for not being motivated! Way to go....you did say it was your goal to be ahead, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytina View Post
Hey everyone, hope you are doing well and doing lots of schoolwork. I am working on three assignments this week, I am about a third done the first one, have the research done for the second and a small start on writing it up.
Thanks- I'm doing well, just not necessarily achieving much right now. I'm behind in my reading and still haven't written a paper. But it isn't so much about motivation as it is time. I'm going to have to set some firm deadlines and make myself do it. But all in all......

sounds like you are writing away!
#87 of 125 Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all, I haven't been around much due to some MAJOR senioritis. I did spend about 5 hours yesterday reading and doing some research but I don't feel like I got nearly enough accomplished. I woke up early this am to study but unfortunately DS woke up too so so far, nothing has happened. It snowed here and when it snows here everyone freaks out so maybe classes will be canceled! I have a group project due next week (presentation) and my group is majorly procrastinating. I was, but then yesterday I started doing work, we had agreed to email our powerpoint slides to each other. Well, needless to say, I was the only one who had done this. GRRRRR..... This class is pretty much the last class you have to take before you graduate so I'm sure everyone is just ready to be done.

Anyway, happy studying!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#88 of 125 Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Well, by sneaking in studying when the little man was asleep, I managed to get through everything I needed to... and got an A on my first exam in 5 years (as in, I've been out of school for 5 years)! :

I hope I can keep this up. I look at things so much differently now that we are paying for this in cash vs. student loans. I feel the need to get the most for my money, so to speak.

love.gif

#89 of 125 Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM

I am trying to work up the motivation to start my comprehensive exam this week, it's not due until April but my graduation depends on it. Everything else is on track.

Good luck this week.
#90 of 125 Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Last Thursday, I took my first quiz in 8 years. I was a huge dork and studied for HOURS.

But today we got the quizzes back and I got (one of) the highest scores in the class. Don't know how many other people got the same percentage, but I am stoked. It made me feel like I'm off to a good start, afterall.

We'll see how things unfold after I get back the three papers and one quiz from this week, though!

Glad it only took me until I was 30 to understand that studying was a good thing, though!

Busy, hectic, HAPPY single mom to 3 awesome kiddos jumpers.gif DD1 (10) DS (8) DD2 (6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page