Study Support Thread II - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 125 Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This really helped me last quarter so I am going to start another one. Feel free to join! Even just as a place to check in. Today was the first day of Winter quarter and guess what, I didn't go! Not because I didn't want to, but because DS was throwing up from about 6am to about 10am. I wasn't really sure what was wrong but then later on he was crying and he told me his mouth hurt. So I looked in there and sure enough, there is a 2-year-old molar trying to break through. Damn. Right at the start of my last quarter!

Anyway, I hope to get some reading done this weekend so I can be ahead or at least caught up. I tend to get behind in the beginning and then play catch up all quarter long. I swear each quarter it's not going to happen, but it always does!

Hope to see some familiar faces and some new ones too!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#2 of 125 Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 PM

My term officially starts on Monday but I have homework due on Wed for an ind study class so I'll be working all weekend. Then I also have to read my text books before Tues. I'm a little behind this term.

Good luck!
#3 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey MamaChel! How are you doing this time around? Hope things are better for you and you can be more relaxed and focused.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#4 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 AM

I wanna be in! I need to be organized this time. Last semester the last minute drama exhausted me. My term starts Monday as well...
#5 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 AM

I don't start for another few weeks, but wanted to sub. This thread was very motivating to me last semester . . . and I think I'm gonna need all the help I can get!

Good luck to everyone starting up this week.
#6 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! Hopefully we can keep each other motivated this time around from the get go.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#7 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 AM

HI! Me too!
My quarter doesn't begin until Monday and I'm still out of town. I'm trying to determine if I should drive home through what's supposed to be a horrific storm or wait another day.

cody'smamma - sorry about your ds. i hope he is better now! maybe it'll be the only sickie all quarter.

This thread was helpful to me too. I like/need to be accountable.

So....I should tell you that I'm supposed to be writing a paper....

I'll do that tomorrow. It's not for my program but for/in conjunction with some people I have been working with. I'm only shooting myself in the foot if I don't do it so I should really do it. Now.

K. Talk soon!
#8 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM

My semester begins on the 12th and I am ready, I think.

+ + =
#9 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM

cody'smomma: We are facing homelessness this term but with only four months until graduation, I refuse to allow my family to sabotage me. We looked at a place today that may allow us to move in, it's a little more than we can comfortably afford but I'll have enough in student loans and tax refunds to cover until after graduation.

I've set up Saturday study nights again, that will help immensely. I plan to spend the weekend working on some homework.
#10 of 125 Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Good luck, all...

I start Wednesday, but I've got a few assignments already. Yippee.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#11 of 125 Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I will join back in this semester too. We start on Monday, I am still debating change one of my classes for another. I am in education--high school--social studies especially history and english. I was going to take career guidance (I thought to help high school students) but I also have the option of taking a teaching geography course (could make me certified to teach social studies and I haven't take geography since high school). Still debating. Any thoughts?

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#12 of 125 Old 01-05-2008, 11:52 AM

hello all,
my term doesn't start for another 3 weeks but I wanted to sub as I really need some help staying organized.
#13 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I pretty much am back to my old ways already. Didn't actually read anything this weekend. But I have till Tuesday so I"m aiming for a couple of very early mornings.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#14 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 AM

Well, I just got home and school starts Tuesday (my first class anyway) so the race begins again.

Cody'smamma......I wouldn't worry about it b/c a) you know you'll get it done and b) it's the beginning of the quarter. You've got time!

Tell us how those mornings go. I'm planning to work out on T and Th (with someone) mornings and then go directly to the library or office to study. I"m hoping that keeps me accountable a little.

Good luck everyone!
#15 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 AM

It was an encouragement to me as well. I ended up doing quite well thanks to having accountability. My term does not start until the end of January. After writing 4 long and hard exams the week before the winter holiday, I need that break. But I will be back.

I am only enrolled in 3 classes so far. I want to pick up a 4th when tuition payments are due in a few days and people drop. If I cannot, it's fine (I do not need 4 classes every semester to finish the program in 2 years). But I think I will enroll at NYU's language certificate program which is part of the continuing education department. Four classes earns a certificate (I would do Spanish first since I am already pretty comfortable, then Chinese). It would be great on my resume and help me in my field (public admin, with an interest in social welfare policy and women and children) in an urban city where these languages are spoken by many.

So I expect to be busy and needing a lot of accountability.

Wishing you all wonderful semesters and sending study vibes.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#16 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Well, so far I have read the first assignment in my Philosophy of Law class. Now I just have to write it up. I don't have one of my text books yet so there goes my habit of having all my texts read before the start of classes.

Today I have to work and then write up a couple articles for my independent study. I plan on going to work out 4 times per week, I have room any day but Tues right now. This week I am aiming for M,W,F,Sa. Today depends on whether we have to look at a house this afternoon. Since we'll be homless after the 1st, I need to keep my priorities.

Good luck this week to everyone starting.
#17 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM

I want in! I am going back to school after a five-year absence. I start today, part-time.

It just occurred to me a few minutes ago that I might actually need to bring something along to take notes with! I am wholly unprepared for this. I am so out of my realm now.

love.gif

#18 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
I want in! I am going back to school after a five-year absence. I start today, part-time.

It just occurred to me a few minutes ago that I might actually need to bring something along to take notes with! I am wholly unprepared for this. I am so out of my realm now.
Ooh, that's fun! I remember when I went back after about a 3-year absence. It was a whole different ball game. Especially since this time I actually wanted to learn! Good luck!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#19 of 125 Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco View Post
It was an encouragement to me as well. I ended up doing quite well thanks to having accountability. My term does not start until the end of January. After writing 4 long and hard exams the week before the winter holiday, I need that break. But I will be back.

I am only enrolled in 3 classes so far. I want to pick up a 4th when tuition payments are due in a few days and people drop. If I cannot, it's fine (I do not need 4 classes every semester to finish the program in 2 years). But I think I will enroll at NYU's language certificate program which is part of the continuing education department. Four classes earns a certificate (I would do Spanish first since I am already pretty comfortable, then Chinese). It would be great on my resume and help me in my field (public admin, with an interest in social welfare policy and women and children) in an urban city where these languages are spoken by many.

So I expect to be busy and needing a lot of accountability.

Wishing you all wonderful semesters and sending study vibes.
Your program sounds super exciting and interesting. I'm really impressed with people with language skills - its on my to-do list, I really should prioritize it higher. And you're right, what a great resume builder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChel View Post
Well, so far I have read the first assignment in my Philosophy of Law class. Now I just have to write it up. I don't have one of my text books yet so there goes my habit of having all my texts read before the start of classes.

Today I have to work and then write up a couple articles for my independent study. I plan on going to work out 4 times per week, I have room any day but Tues right now. This week I am aiming for M,W,F,Sa. Today depends on whether we have to look at a house this afternoon. Since we'll be homless after the 1st, I need to keep my priorities.

Good luck this week to everyone starting.
Way to get started MamaChel! I like to try and be a little ahead at the beginning, but i don't think I've ever gotten the texts read before classes. You sound very busy already. I am planning on working out on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, doing yoga on Wednesday and maybe picking up an exercise class some other time as well. I plan to leave directly from the gym to some location on campus to study and write. That way I'm not at home, not working.

Quote:

Welcome! What are you studying? i remember going back.....several times. And....even being a continuing student, thanks for the reminder to go get a notebook!
#20 of 125 Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM

Thanks codys mama for posting this for me - silly me didn't see it originally.

Getting ready to go to sleep but I wanted to sub! See ya student mommas tomorrow.
#21 of 125 Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 AM

I could use some support to stay on track this time
#22 of 125 Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Hi mamas - i hope you're quarter or semester is going well so far (if it has started and if not, I hope you are still enjoying your break!). I have a dilemma that I'd love some feedback on.

I was really hoping for a TAship or readership this quarter and somehow was actually thinking I would get one. So I only signed up for 8 credits (fulltime for graduate studies) which is two classes. I didn't get any employment which means two things: 1) I'm broke and this quarter is going to be FUN! and 2) I'm feeling like a loser because I'm only taking two classes. I'm also going to attend a proseminar but I'm not going to take it for credit. The two classes I am taking are Theory A (sequence) and Statistics B. The statistics course has a lab also. There were other classes that looked interesting, but not interesting enough to do the work.

But, there is a class on grant/proposal writing that looks good and a couple of others I know are taking. It isn't too intensive I don't think and I would probably be a lot closer to having a MA proposal by the end. But...it is on Tuesday, the day of my night class, and I wouldn't see my girls until 8 o'clock that evening. I've had to do days like this before and they aren't fun for any of us. I'm a single mama so there isn't anyone else to pick up the slack.

Add to this the fact that I have kids in multiple extra-curricular activities, I'm active in the community right now, and I am doing some other wriiting. Do you mamas think I should feel at all guilty for not taking another class? Or, seeing as how I am NOT TAing, am I being foolish for not getting as much done as I possibly can?

Help! Thanks....
#23 of 125 Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 AM

I think I'd like to jump in here too. I'm in my second semester of nursing school, taking maternal/newborn, pedicatrics, IV therapy and pscyhiatric nursing this semester. DH is in school full-time as well, attending University of Phoenix. He will graduate with his bachelor degree in business management in May and then start a graduate program in mental health counseling in August.

I hope to get some support and encouragement with accountability to complete the homework I know I should. Although I'm not sure how giving in to my addiction to the computer is going to help any.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#24 of 125 Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
Hi mamas - i hope you're quarter or semester is going well so far (if it has started and if not, I hope you are still enjoying your break!). I have a dilemma that I'd love some feedback on.

I was really hoping for a TAship or readership this quarter and somehow was actually thinking I would get one. So I only signed up for 8 credits (fulltime for graduate studies) which is two classes. I didn't get any employment which means two things: 1) I'm broke and this quarter is going to be FUN! and 2) I'm feeling like a loser because I'm only taking two classes. I'm also going to attend a proseminar but I'm not going to take it for credit. The two classes I am taking are Theory A (sequence) and Statistics B. The statistics course has a lab also. There were other classes that looked interesting, but not interesting enough to do the work.

But, there is a class on grant/proposal writing that looks good and a couple of others I know are taking. It isn't too intensive I don't think and I would probably be a lot closer to having a MA proposal by the end. But...it is on Tuesday, the day of my night class, and I wouldn't see my girls until 8 o'clock that evening. I've had to do days like this before and they aren't fun for any of us. I'm a single mama so there isn't anyone else to pick up the slack.

Add to this the fact that I have kids in multiple extra-curricular activities, I'm active in the community right now, and I am doing some other wriiting. Do you mamas think I should feel at all guilty for not taking another class? Or, seeing as how I am NOT TAing, am I being foolish for not getting as much done as I possibly can?

Help! Thanks....
Personally, I don't think you should worry about taking it easy. That's what I did last quarter and I really needed it. Of course you want to finish school, but you still have a life to live and just one at that. I don't think you're being foolish at all! In fact, I think that is a really smart idea.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#25 of 125 Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Gradmama - I would take it as a sign that the universe thinks you should take it easy this semester.

Sorry I've been MIA and not very supportive of my studying mommas this semester - I've been swamped hehe. I finished my winter interssesion course last night and I have to say that was the best decision I made. The course was developmental psychology and it lasted 2.5 weeks and was a full three credits. The teacher isn't done grading our last two observations but I'm pretty much guaranteed an A.

As an additional perk, I put the textbook up on half.com last night and it sold within 30 minutes for $24 more than I paid for it. I used bookfinder.com to find the best price for it when I ordered it but just put it up at half.com for a dollar less than the other books there even though it was cheaper at amazon.com and other sites. Yay for me some people don't search very much and it sold.
#26 of 125 Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM

I tried to study for the first time today and found that DS pretty much has to be napping for me to get anything done. I only taking General Psych, so it shouldn't be that difficult to get everything done.

Unfortunately, my need for DS to nap seems to inversely relate to his propensity to nap.

love.gif

#27 of 125 Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately, my need for DS to nap seems to inversely relate to his propensity to nap.
Absolutely true here.

Yesterday I was able to study for about 2 hours between classes. This quarter I made sure I built study time in to when DS was being care for by someone other than me. So hopefully that should alleviate some study time stress.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#28 of 125 Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 PM

I leave the house to study, with the 3 lil yahoos it's what works. When I couldn't leave, I just waited until they went to bed and studied then.

I got my last book today on Research methods, not the most captivating work. But, I can do my homework! Saturday evening study group starts tomorrow, we're trying to get on track early this term. One class has homework due every week on top of the huge projects. Yuck.

I've done most of my reading for the week, just need to knock out the research reading. I have 2 assignments due next week, I'll write those up tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a productive weekend!
#29 of 125 Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:

I am in the exact same predicament! I've finally decided to go back to school and finish what I started 12 years ago. Wow, I can't belive that it's been that long since I graduated from HS! I am going back part-time because I'm afraid of "biting off more than I can chew" seeing that I couldn't motivate myself to study 5 years ago when I didn't have any other responsibilities. The thought of going back now that I have an infant and a 2 year old is so daunting. But the stakes are different now, I'm not just going to school because it's what's expected of me, I'm going back because I want to make a better life for myself and my girls. I hope to be an active participant of this thread, though I still have a couple weeks before my semester starts.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#30 of 125 Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM

I am so UNMOTIVATED! I just don't want to do my work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page