Professor Mamas - it's 2008! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 371 Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies! I've catching up on everything after what has been a relatively hellish few weeks (family drama). But - I managed to submit a manuscript - the first one on post-Ph.D. research. And I think I managed to get some grant money I've been lobbying for the past few months. And... the Dean just found money to turn my term position into a TT. All I need now is the department to approve it. That's not exactly a slam dunk since hiring me would impact future hires down the road (and my sub-field is probably not their first choice for a hire long-term), but it's a pretty good start.

And best of all - my son turns 1 year old next week

And I love the class I'm teaching right now! The students are great and the subject is fun.

So I guess that's a lot of positives after all.

dctexan - Your trailer story made me laugh. I used to have a trailer office as a grad student, with an internet connection only at the far end (until we started drilling holes in the wall at night to string cables from room to room).
#92 of 371 Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM

I'm in awe of you, Kaybee, for accomplishing all of that with a baby under one year old! More power to you!

SAHM to DS 2006 1990 2007 2008
#93 of 371 Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuglei View Post
Mamas -- I just got the job announcements for two community college openings I'll be applying for. . . and I wanted some advice -- anyone in Humanities have a CV they'd mind sharing with me or some cover letter help?

I've applied for FT positions before, but never gotten an interview and only worked as adjunct faculty. . . Right now I'm adjuncting for one of the places I'll be applying -- and doing all sorts of extra work for some notice, but want to put together an excellent package for them. . .

Thanks in advance. I feel so lost!
My field's more of a social science, but since our department is currently hiring, this would be my advice:

Since it's a community college, you know the thing that matters MOST is teaching. Look at the ad, explain how you can do the things that are asked for in the ad, focusing on teaching first, service (mentoring, working within the dept/college) second, and writing/research last.

Make sure that you address ALL of the requirements in the job ad. Most ads have a few "requireds" and a few "it would be nices". If you don't have experience doing all of the required features, explain how you have the background knowledge to be able to do the requirements.

Emphasize how you can fit into the department and meet their needs. This isn't about promoting you as a scholar, it's about showing them you understand their system and can fit with it.

I had the most success when I started doing things like including statement of teaching philosophy and a research agenda in addition to my cover letter. For a community college, I'd probably skip the research agenda, but I would include a statement of teaching philosophy -- it shows that you're serious about it and that you understand the issues.

Good luck!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#94 of 371 Old 02-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Thanks Lynn!! Positions don't open up at these places too often, so I'm really feeling some pressure to get one of the jobs. . .

I'll rehash my CV a bit to put research last and experience first. Fortunately for me, nearly all of my teaching has been at state schools or community colleges -- with some extra connections in Developmental English programs (which is under their "it'd be nice" column in the ad). That should help a bit - I'll highlight it in the ad.

I was nominated last year for Instructor of the year but didn't win -- do you think the nomination is worth a mention?

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#95 of 371 Old 02-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Wendy - I did look at the serc course design pages and it seems that those are set up for the classes and not the labs. I can't really find ideas for labs. Although, I don't need ideas. I have all the labs. We have been developing new labs for the past year but when it come to making an outline and starting to write the fluff needed for the lab book, well....I lack.

CJ - what is the dlese web page? can you give me the url. We do the discovering plate boundaries exercise but I think I have to get permission from Sawyer to put it in our lab manual which will be published at our school. I would love to see what exercises that you use in your 101 class - I'm always interested in spicing up my class (so I don't bore myself). I would email you but everytime I have it the past...it always bounces back. My colleagues are helping out with provided the labs they developed and I'm trying to get them to write the background needed for their lab. So , we will see if they will follow through.

kerc - thanks, now I know what not to do. I do need to make some rock id flow charts and mineral id flow charts that are useable but do not copy what others have already published. Any ideas?

Dead Grandmother's - I've decided to write a disclaimer in my syllabus "Warning: this class is hazardous to your grandparents"

kaybee - yeah on submitting a manuscript!!!

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#96 of 371 Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 PM

So I have to report I got my first total snow job of an excuse of the new semester - a student emailed me Wednesday to ask for an extension on the paper due Thursday; I said no, but nicely. On Thursday he shows up having had "printer trouble" and even goes to the "library" during the break to "print his paper." Which is unsuccessful. I tell him to email it to me.

Late that night, he emails me an unopenable file. I email back asking him to attach a Word doc. He repeats with the unopenable file. I email tersely asking him to c&p the paper into the text of the email, and send a Word doc. He sends me..... *one page* and this half-assed apology. It was a 5-7 page paper assigned two weeks ago! I even gave extra credit to those who showed up one week ago with a draft to get some peer editing!

Gah.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#97 of 371 Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
So I have to report I got my first total snow job of an excuse of the new semester - a student emailed me Wednesday to ask for an extension on the paper due Thursday; I said no, but nicely. On Thursday he shows up having had "printer trouble" and even goes to the "library" during the break to "print his paper." Which is unsuccessful. I tell him to email it to me.

Late that night, he emails me an unopenable file. I email back asking him to attach a Word doc. He repeats with the unopenable file. I email tersely asking him to c&p the paper into the text of the email, and send a Word doc. He sends me..... *one page* and this half-assed apology. It was a 5-7 page paper assigned two weeks ago! I even gave extra credit to those who showed up one week ago with a draft to get some peer editing!

Gah.
Yikes, mama! I had one of those last year.... AND the paper counted for the largest grade of the semster. I just don't think some of these kiddos have ever had to deal with the ramifications of their actions.
#98 of 371 Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Gah.
Gee with all the time spent on excuses and unopenable files, etc. seems like he coulda just sat down and written the paper, huh?
#99 of 371 Old 02-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Gah.
I have a policy of not accepting emailed papers. I state this clearly in my syllabi: papers have to be typed, printed, and handed to me or put in my mailbox. If a student is unable to print a paper in time for the due date, the paper is considered and marked late, i.e. penalized by one letter grade for each class that it's late. I think it's important for my students to learn how to manage their time -- e.g. if they have no printer, and have to print at the college's computer center, they will need to have written the final draft of their paper before the class at which the paper is due.

SAHM to DS 2006 1990 2007 2008
#100 of 371 Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

D - www.dlese.org.
will email you with an address that you can actually reply to
#101 of 371 Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuglei View Post
I'll rehash my CV a bit to put research last and experience first. Fortunately for me, nearly all of my teaching has been at state schools or community colleges -- with some extra connections in Developmental English programs (which is under their "it'd be nice" column in the ad). That should help a bit - I'll highlight it in the ad.

I was nominated last year for Instructor of the year but didn't win -- do you think the nomination is worth a mention?
Yes, totally mention it. Also in your application packet, if it works with what they want, perhaps include sample assignments and/or student evaluations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste_mom View Post
kerc - thanks, now I know what not to do. I do need to make some rock id flow charts and mineral id flow charts that are useable but do not copy what others have already published. Any ideas?
I really like the Lutgens (?) Tarbeck? (Maybe both) diagrams published by the NAGT.

I found a slick weblisting of online resources.

: Can we get a collective hope that all works out for Kaybee's job? And then a second : for me being hired at the other university in town (more of a teaching university) that is looking for a geologist? and finally : that my own dh is hired for the full time, tenure track position at the community college he has been teaching at since 2001? Even just 2 of those three things (dh and kaybee) would mean a large collective sigh for the kaybee and kerc families. And it would also mean that my daughter, whom is at home, last seen constructing paper models of the Krakatoa volcano for Kaybee's ds1 would continue to have a friend who likes volcanoes. http://errforce1.livejournal.com/182227.html

Kaybee: I hope all is ok with your family craziness. Congrats on getting your research out.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#102 of 371 Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Thanks Kristin! (For the good thoughts and for the slick weblisting, where I already found something I can use later on in my class this term.) And good luck to you guys on the job front, too!

I think Erin's new found interest in Krakatoa is excellent...
#103 of 371 Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I GOT AN INTERVIEW FOR MY DREAM JOB in a city we were so sad to leave.

:

Now I have a month to prepare a talk that's totally new, and looks like I've gotten a ton of stuff done since leaving there.

I'll be back asking for strategies. Right now, I'm buckling down to get these two papers that are 90% done out the door.
#104 of 371 Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

:

Now I have a month to prepare a talk that's totally new, and looks like I've gotten a ton of stuff done since leaving there.

I'll be back asking for strategies. Right now, I'm buckling down to get these two papers that are 90% done out the door.
Oh Wendy, hoooray!!!! That is so awesome. Yay for dream job. My fingers are totally crossed for you :
#105 of 371 Old 02-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:

:

AWESOME! I almost asked yesterday in an email if you'd heard anything yet.

#106 of 371 Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM

fingers crossed and getting the job vibes heading your way!

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#107 of 371 Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
Yikes, mama! I had one of those last year.... AND the paper counted for the largest grade of the semster. I just don't think some of these kiddos have ever had to deal with the ramifications of their actions.
Yeah, I gave him an F and invited him to come talk to me if he needed to discuss study strategies or time management. He did give me a nice smile as he left, so maybe he will take me up on the offer...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#108 of 371 Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

wendy - congrats! (and now you've got me curious)

good job vibes ALL AROUND!
#109 of 371 Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Sending good vibes to kerc, geo and kaybee! I hope to be posting some good news myself here in a bit

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#110 of 371 Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I gave him an F and invited him to come talk to me if he needed to discuss study strategies or time management. He did give me a nice smile as he left, so maybe he will take me up on the offer...
Nah... If he's like any of my students, he'll blame you for the rotten grade and bad mouth you to all of his peers. LOL!
#111 of 371 Old 02-16-2008, 03:18 PM

So.. I gave an essay make up to a student who was very slow about requesting it... I think next semester the policy is that you have 3 days to make arrangements, and you get an essay exam. Beyond that, you're SOL. The student who took the makeup gave me an astonished look when I handed him the exam - asked "it isn't multiple choice?" My response was, "I told you that it would be essay." He failed the exam badly. I have a feeling tho that he won't willingly take another of my makeup exams. Hopefully the word will get around and nobody else will want to take on either.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#112 of 371 Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

:
Congrats Geo!! s

Good luck with the interview!
#113 of 371 Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks kristin, I like that weblisting on online resources, it really helps me out.

Kaybee - I hope you get the job that you want.

Geofizz - yeah on the interview, now I'm curious too.

athansor - we hope to hear good news in a bit

CJ - thanks for that link, it really helped, got your email.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#114 of 371 Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Hello mamas! Nice to see this thread.. I posted on some of the old ones so it is nice to see some old faces, and lots new mamas here! Yay!

I had a terrible year last year, struggling with big depression issues, and even thought very seriously about leaving academia for ever... but taking the entire summer off really helped. Here I am at the end of the second quarter here and things are going OK. I had a student present a poster at a national conference and now she is getting her REU applications in; I am working with another student on her senior thesis and this is going just marvelously, so hopefully we will write a paper together... And I am really switching fields now and the good news is I found an amazing mentor and will be going to the big conference in the field next week.

Amidst all this, DH and I made a decision to move across the country to be close to family, so I did a very restricted job search (5 colleges) and just this week accepted a job in the city of my college days, about 1 hour to my mother's and sister's. I am giving up my tenured position here, but will go up for tenure in the new place in my second year. And it was amazing to get the offer at the campus interview... (I did spend a long time preparing a talk, researching the school, etc.)

Best of luck to all of you who are looking for jobs!! Hope your interviews go well!!

It is nice to be back!!
#115 of 371 Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

How did the interview(s) go??

funny: I got invited to a reception for women's week, at a high level admin's house. I'd like to go, but it just so happens that dh is out of town that day and our 2 sitters unavailable... by the tone of the invite it's clearly not appropriate for me to bring my 9 month old, but otoh given that this is for women's week, seems very appropriate, no?!
#116 of 371 Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Hi Everyone, just joining this thread. I'm an adjunct history professor and I've taught at several different universities where I live.

Namaste Mom, I really wanted to reply to you. I had a similar experience when I was in grad school. Someone I loved died suddenly and I was a wreck for a year. I cried every day. For me, however, going to school and working was therapeutic. Working really helped me focus on something other than my grief. It wasn't easy but it was helpful. Perhaps if you can reframe your thoughts about your work and ask yourself how working can help you with your grief, you might find some comfort.

Sincerely,
#117 of 371 Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
How did the interview(s) go??
Not this coming week, but next! I'm totally redoing my job talk. I think it's framed really well, and now I just have to figure out how to get all the info into just 50 minutes.

I went to get new clothes today. My suit is prekids vintage. I'm still the same size as prekids, but the size is in different places. I also have to replace my black shoes, since they lead to foot cramps by the end of the day (like, during my talk). I can't find black versions of my favorite brown shoes, but zappos recommends these as a replacement. Would they go with gray slacks and a black suit jacket for a geo-geek faculty interview?
#118 of 371 Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

So my supervisor is going to be sitting in on my classes sometime in the next week or two... If he likes my presentation/style, I have a shot at continuing this summer/next fall. If not... eek.

#119 of 371 Old 03-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Aaaaarrrgggghhh!!!!!

Just had to say that...I have an interview next Monday (out of town), and it's going to be a bit more stressful than usual...they want a teaching demo instead of a traditional research based job talk, plus I'm going to be quite visibly pregnant this time. I'm off to go suit shopping for something that looks professional.

So, typical job interview stress + pregnancy and now, today, I get another *&!#! jury summons, for the day I'm flying back (we're leaving Sunday, I'm interviewing Monday, and then flying out early on Tuesday so I can get back to teach a series of Tuesday evening classes). So now I have to call and see if I can postpone this jury duty on Monday (and I have a second interview the following week during spring break!)

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#120 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I went to get new clothes today. My suit is prekids vintage. I'm still the same size as prekids, but the size is in different places. I also have to replace my black shoes, since they lead to foot cramps by the end of the day (like, during my talk). I can't find black versions of my favorite brown shoes, but zappos recommends these as a replacement. Would they go with gray slacks and a black suit jacket for a geo-geek faculty interview?
yes. LOL. I finally sold my suit (pre-pre kids) and decided I'd never wear one again. I bought said suit when i was an undergrad. It helped me get a job offer at IBM, but I didn't want the suit-type job so I turned it down in favor of teaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
So my supervisor is going to be sitting in on my classes sometime in the next week or two... If he likes my presentation/style, I have a shot at continuing this summer/next fall. If not... eek.
good luck. It's nervewracking huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
Aaaaarrrgggghhh!!!!!

Just had to say that...I have an interview next Monday (out of town), and it's going to be a bit more stressful than usual...they want a teaching demo instead of a traditional research based job talk, plus I'm going to be quite visibly pregnant this time. I'm off to go suit shopping for something that looks professional.

So, typical job interview stress + pregnancy and now, today, I get another *&!#! jury summons, for the day I'm flying back (we're leaving Sunday, I'm interviewing Monday, and then flying out early on Tuesday so I can get back to teach a series of Tuesday evening classes). So now I have to call and see if I can postpone this jury duty on Monday (and I have a second interview the following week during spring break!)
jury duty - somehow the jury duty folks know that the only time they should send my summons is during the extremely busy phases of my life. (I got two (state + federal) in the first week dd1 was home from the hospital). Luckily you can postpone, I would be sure to tell them you have a business trip planned.

I am in the final stages of writing the dissertation. According to my advisor, "if I just shut you in a room with no distractions for 2 weeks you'd be done writing. Unfortunately you have a family so that can't happen, but it can happen before may" . sweet!

: <--- that's from my dd1 Erin

I submitted an application for a local job. I heard through the grapevine that they received very few applications (like less than 10 the day before the application deadline). That's got to be good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page