Professor Mamas - it's 2008! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I can't find black versions of my favorite brown shoes, but zappos recommends these as a replacement. Would they go with gray slacks and a black suit jacket for a geo-geek faculty interview?
GEO - I LOVE those shoes!! They look comfy and cute. I think they'd look good with gray slacks and a black jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
So my supervisor is going to be sitting in on my classes sometime in the next week or two... If he likes my presentation/style, I have a shot at continuing this summer/next fall. If not... eek.

Dmitrizmom - We've done this several times at my job and generally speaking it's a formality. . . I've completely bombed in front of my supervisor before, but she's always been quite nice about it. I hope it goes well for you!! Do you have any special plans for that day?

I wanted to check in and update: I sent my applications in to the two local CCs for the full time faculty positions. So now I wait. . . I spoke to a colleague last week who said she felt certain I'd be a finalist for the in-house position. . . But the waiting - that's tough, isn't it! I know it could be a month or more before we hear anything (the jobs close on 3/1 and 3/7).

In the meantime, my face-to-face course isn't going well. I'm frustrated with having gone over material multiple times and having students who still just don't get it. I know I shouldn't get frustrated, there's only so much I can do, but still!! It's as if they don't bother to listen, even!

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
good luck. It's nervewracking huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuglei
Dmitrizmom - We've done this several times at my job and generally speaking it's a formality. . . I've completely bombed in front of my supervisor before, but she's always been quite nice about it. I hope it goes well for you!! Do you have any special plans for that day?
In my Env. Science class, I'm probably going to lecture for the first half and have them find examples of soil/water conservation online for the second half. For the Bio course, it depends on what day he comes in. I have 3 lecture days, a review day and an exam before spring break. My general flow is a review quiz, give them time to ask questions/go over what they didn't get from the quiz and lecture on the new material for the day. My Bio class takes more prep time, but I enjoy the material alot more.

I've been enjoying lecturing, but having an observer in makes me feel like I'm giving a graded presentation again and it really is nervewracking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
Aaaaarrrgggghhh!!!!!

Just had to say that...I have an interview next Monday (out of town), and it's going to be a bit more stressful than usual...they want a teaching demo instead of a traditional research based job talk, plus I'm going to be quite visibly pregnant this time. I'm off to go suit shopping for something that looks professional.
Happy shopping. I remember the joy of interviewing for jobs when I was 36 week to 3 days past my EDD. I found a great suit at Dress Barn that worked pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuglei View Post
GEO - I LOVE those shoes!! They look comfy and cute. I think they'd look good with gray slacks and a black jacket.
Cute shoes. I have a pair of Merrell mary-janes that work professionally or casually and they are uber comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor
So, typical job interview stress + pregnancy and now, today, I get another *&!#! jury summons, for the day I'm flying back (we're leaving Sunday, I'm interviewing Monday, and then flying out early on Tuesday so I can get back to teach a series of Tuesday evening classes). So now I have to call and see if I can postpone this jury duty on Monday (and I have a second interview the following week during spring break!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
jury duty - somehow the jury duty folks know that the only time they should send my summons is during the extremely busy phases of my life. (I got two (state + federal) in the first week dd1 was home from the hospital). Luckily you can postpone, I would be sure to tell them you have a business trip planned.
: last time I got a jury duty summons, I ignored it. It was in the middle of finals week and the community I was in wasn't understanding of academic requirements. I'm sure if I got one now I'd go. Seems like they have radar for sending the dang things for when it is least viable to participate.

Quote:
I am in the final stages of writing the dissertation. According to my advisor, "if I just shut you in a room with no distractions for 2 weeks you'd be done writing. Unfortunately you have a family so that can't happen, but it can happen before may" . sweet!
At least your advisor is understanding. Hope that your muse is in full power so you get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
I submitted an application for a local job. I heard through the grapevine that they received very few applications (like less than 10 the day before the application deadline). That's got to be good.
Good luck. Lack of other qualified applicants works in your favor.

Quote:
I wanted to check in and update: I sent my applications in to the two local CCs for the full time faculty positions. So now I wait. . . I spoke to a colleague last week who said she felt certain I'd be a finalist for the in-house position. . . But the waiting - that's tough, isn't it! I know it could be a month or more before we hear anything (the jobs close on 3/1 and 3/7).
I hate waiting. It is awful and frustrating. I'm sending job offer vibes your way and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Quote:
In the meantime, my face-to-face course isn't going well. I'm frustrated with having gone over material multiple times and having students who still just don't get it. I know I shouldn't get frustrated, there's only so much I can do, but still!! It's as if they don't bother to listen, even!
I'm with you here... My bio students had an exam on Wednesday. Better than 1/3 failed the exam - but I still had 2 or three that got 98%. I gave them a review sheet that all but told them the exact questions on the exam. Some of them get the "glazed over" look, some talk during class (they have been told to take the conversation outside), and some just don't bother to show up. I've told them that if I say something 3 times that IT Will Be On the Exam.... still... nothing. I know part of the problem with my classes is that it fills a general ed requirement, some of the students are there because "mom and dad say I have to go to school" and they have no real interest... I still don't get wasting $ to take classes if you aren't going to put some effort in to learn the material.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#123 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So my supervisor is going to be sitting in on my classes sometime in the next week or two... If he likes my presentation/style, I have a shot at continuing this summer/next fall. If not... eek.
good luck! I hope it goes well!
#124 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck with the teaching review, Dmitrizmom! According to our mentoring system for jr faculty, supposedly we're supposed to have two teaching reviews per quarter (actually works out to be a lot less for me). I certainly prefer to know when they're coming, but sometimes knowing it could be a surprise (or just an hour's warning) keeps me well prepared. I've used some political strategy to my favor on this. I have a couple of times totally rewritten a lecture from a previous time I taught it, then asked my mentors to come in to hear the new version to give me their feedback. Sometimes I get good feedback, and most of the time I just get major kudos for working on my teaching and presenting difficult stuff clearly.
#125 of 371 Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Geofizz, the kicks are cool.

SAHM to DS 2006 1990 2007 2008
#126 of 371 Old 03-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Remind me to never schedule both of my classes to have an exam on the same day again. The exams aren't until next Wednesday, but I wanted to get the study guides out for classes today... Either that, or to work farther ahead next time.

I'm using spring break as a chance to work ahead and do some major prep for the rest of the semester. I really don't like late nights (I normally go to bed by 9:30 or 10)... my hiney is going to be dragging in the morning. :yawning:

off to in the guest bed. all. by. myself.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

#127 of 371 Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
:coffee Remind me to never schedule both of my classes to have an exam on the same day again. The exams aren't until next Wednesday, but I wanted to get the study guides out for classes today... Either that, or to work farther ahead next time.

I'm using spring break as a chance to work ahead and do some major prep for the rest of the semester. I really don't like late nights (I normally go to bed by 9:30 or 10)... my hiney is going to be dragging in the morning. :yawning:

off to in the guest bed. all. by. myself.
ha ha ha.... I did that once years ago and told myself NEVER AGAIN! I survived, but barely. Hope your experience with grading the essays goes well....
~maddymama
#128 of 371 Old 03-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Bumping this thread shamelessly to say:

1. I laughed until tears came, really: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpres...aduate-school/

2. I finished my dissertation today. It needs the usual pre-defense revisions, but holy ****, I'm done with the writing.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#129 of 371 Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Congratulations on finishing your dissertation! A huge accomplishment.

My interview was a week ago. Their now finishing up with the second candidate as we speak, then the last two interviewees are next week. I'll hear April 9! I want this position sooooo badly. It's the ideal place for me. If I say anything more about the opportunities it will give me, I'll jinx it!

Oh, and I got a grant funded today! Only at 75% of what I requested, but it's enough to pay a student and a little travel. I submitted a paper about two weeks ago, and I'm working hard to get the one that was rejected last fall back into the pool.
#130 of 371 Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I hate waiting. It is awful and frustrating. I'm sending job offer vibes your way and keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks. Still waiting here. They closed the jobs down the week before spring break, so the hiring committee didn't even get the applications until this week, apparently. Still more waiting.

#131 of 371 Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Penelope - congrats on finishing your dissertation!

#132 of 371 Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Thanks! I'm wandering around needing a project now. What a fine weekend to finish fixing up the bathroom.

I do need to do revisions before I send it out to my committee, but that's so much easier (for me) than actually composing that it feels mostly done. Like that scene in the Princess Bride where Wesley is only "mostly" dead...

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#133 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Penelope and Wendy::
congratulations on dissertations being finished and grants being granted!

Wendy - fingers crossed for that job!
#134 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm throwing this out there: How the hell do you get anything done when you're in the late stages of diss-writing, raising kids, and teaching? I've told my advisor that I can't do any diss revisions until after the teaching semester ends. There is just no time. And I've had a paper accepted to a conference in July, which is bothering me, because while I'm actually excited about my paper topic, it's going to require a lot of research, and I don't know if I'll have time to do it all and write a good paper. AND doing that research means that I won't be working on my diss (it's a bit of a departure from my diss topic). AND I'm supposed to defend in October, based on the schedule of someone on my committee. Just not knowing how to do all this and keep a reasonably clean apartment right now. . .

#135 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Rose View Post
Just not knowing how to do all this and keep a reasonably clean apartment right now. . .
Well my first thought is to just give up on that item. I know it's hard but you have to focus on priorities now, right.

Good luck with this. Just take it a day at a time and get as much help as you can from family, friends, etc.
#136 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamazooMom View Post
Well my first thought is to just give up on that item. I know it's hard but you have to focus on priorities now, right.

Good luck with this. Just take it a day at a time and get as much help as you can from family, friends, etc.
I actually really LIKE cleaning . . . I suppose I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I do it, which isn't always the case with my scholarly work.

#137 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 01:28 PM

I agree with KalamazooMom, lower your expectations about a clean apartment.

When I was in grad school, my committee (as well as my sister grad students') was hardcore and unsympathetic about deadlines. Period. And they would NOT have hesitated to throw me and my diss out on my ear if I missed a deadline. If you cannot negotiate with your committee about deadlines then you better get things done or else. At least that was my experience.

You have my sympathy. Good luck!
#138 of 371 Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 PM

Fortunately my committee is not so hardcore as yours, Verde! They're all prety busy too, and I think they're used to students at my large public urban university being stretched thin by families and work.

#139 of 371 Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Rose View Post
I'm throwing this out there: How the hell do you get anything done when you're in the late stages of diss-writing, raising kids, and teaching? I've told my advisor that I can't do any diss revisions until after the teaching semester ends. There is just no time. And I've had a paper accepted to a conference in July, which is bothering me, because while I'm actually excited about my paper topic, it's going to require a lot of research, and I don't know if I'll have time to do it all and write a good paper. AND doing that research means that I won't be working on my diss (it's a bit of a departure from my diss topic). AND I'm supposed to defend in October, based on the schedule of someone on my committee. Just not knowing how to do all this and keep a reasonably clean apartment right now. . .
Do you have 20 minutes a day? Then you CAN finish it. There is good research to show that people who wait until they have 'time' to write never do. If you make your dissertation writing ABSOLUTELY SACROSANCT you can do this. You don't have to schedule a lot of time, but 20-30 minutes IS doable. Set your rear end down in the chair and write. For 20 minutes. Every day.

The thing about doing 20 minutes a day is -- you KNOW where you were when you left off. You don't have to spend the first 2 hours figuring out what the heck you were doing. If you've got energy, create new text. If you're low on energy, edit old text. Don't worry about transitions, good writing, etc. Just write. Edit later.

I agree about the apartment thing. My house is STILL a disaster, and I'm post-tenure! IF I have to choose between cleaning and spending time with my kids - guess which wins? Our house is messy, but my kids are emotionally stable.

OK, since we're on the evil quarter system I have 30 essays to grade BY TOMORROW. I hereby resolve to quit ditsing around on MDC and get grading!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#140 of 371 Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 AM

Hey everyone!! Just wanted to check in and let you all know that I got the interview for one of the jobs I applied for!

They want a teaching demonstration -- now I'm really freaking out. I've never given one before. If anyone has any advice - especially concerning composition instruction - I'm ALL EARS!!

#141 of 371 Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 AM

how to finish a dissertation on 20 minutes a day? Yep, I totally agree do the 20-30 minutes. And skip the apartment cleaning. I'm in the throws of it myself, except I'm a TA this semester and don't have enough child care (my dcp called to say her dd is sick AGAIN, urgh).

teaching demonstration. I never took comp (after high school) so I don't have ideas. but can I just say i hate teaching demonstrations? I mean seriously, if you're trying to show how you actually teach then you would hope there's some continuum of knowledge from class to class then how do you effectively do that? I sat in on a teaching demonstration by my BIL -- intro to physics. He did a fabulous job of not being cheesy and also referring to stuff he would have done before. He used phrases like, "If you recall from Monday's class...." and "this one is just like the last problem set."

But it's tricky, especially if the best part of your teaching includes calling on students.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#142 of 371 Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
teaching demonstration. I never took comp (after high school) so I don't have ideas. but can I just say i hate teaching demonstrations? I mean seriously, if you're trying to show how you actually teach then you would hope there's some continuum of knowledge from class to class then how do you effectively do that? I sat in on a teaching demonstration by my BIL -- intro to physics. He did a fabulous job of not being cheesy and also referring to stuff he would have done before. He used phrases like, "If you recall from Monday's class...." and "this one is just like the last problem set."

But it's tricky, especially if the best part of your teaching includes calling on students.

Yeah, that's the issue for me. I find the best way to teach comp is completely hands on -- all I do is group work, discussions, and writing prompts. I'm not sure how to do that as a "demonstration," except to demand participation from my interviewers!!

#143 of 371 Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
2. I finished my dissertation today. It needs the usual pre-defense revisions, but holy ****, I'm done with the writing.
Congrats Penelope! Enjoy the feeling of that weight lifted off of your shoulders!

Quote:
Hey everyone!! Just wanted to check in and let you all know that I got the interview for one of the jobs I applied for!
And congrats Monica on getting the interview!

And my good news is that the department voted yes to approve a TT hire for me! Yay! Although it's not an offer in hand yet, the rest of the process should go smoothly (fingers crossed).
#144 of 371 Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 AM

Congrats on the interview and good luck!

I just did a teaching demo for an interview (it was tough to fit it in 30 minutes, most of my classes are an hour and 15 minutes long). It must have gone well because I got an offer!
One thing that I did was to make sure that I introduced the demonstration by talking about what class it would be covered in, what the students would already know, etc.
My introduction went something like this. "Today I will be discussing the derivation of the gas formation volume factor and two of its applications. This would be appropriate for a first semester reservoir engineering course. Students at this point would already know the ideal gas law, the real gas law and how to find gas deviation factors."
That kind of introduction really helped set the stage, I think.

Also, congrats Penelope on finishing your dissertation!!!!!

I don't have anything official to report yet, but we know have two offers on the table for next fall, and I'm going to squeeze in one more interview next week (this one will include giving a research seminar, which I think is a bit less stressful). Of course, I'm going to be pretty obviously pregnant this time (34 weeks!), which should be interesting.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#145 of 371 Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 AM

Congrats kaybee! And unoffocial congrats Athansor!!

I'm tweaking about my interview -- cannot for the life of me figure out what to do. Just when I'd gotten used to the idea of taking over someone else's class for 30 minutes, I got the notice from HR that I'll be doing my demonstration for the hiring committee alone - 6 people and that's it!

I bought a navy suit today. It feels so odd and formal. I know it's important to look your best, but it looks nothing like me!! I can only hope that my jewelry and attitude will speak volumes about who I really am.

I did have an uplifting discussion with our department head on Friday - spent several hours in her office discussing a variety of non-interview related things. She said that if *she* could singlehandedly offer me the job, she would. That makes me feel good. Of course now there's the committee to contend with.

And above it all, mamas, I have to say, I'm excited and terrified at the thought of being a full time working mama. 6 years ago I was vehemently against working, 3 years ago I went back to work part-time, and now I'm actively engaged in trying to find full time work when my little guy is not yet two. I'm afraid of those changes. I know how much work being in your first few years is. . . and I'm having serious doubts about it. I feel really really torn.

#146 of 371 Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

way to go athansor and kaybee!

good luck monica - of course it seems overwhelming but take it one step at a time, you can do it!
#147 of 371 Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFuglei View Post
I'm tweaking about my interview -- cannot for the life of me figure out what to do. Just when I'd gotten used to the idea of taking over someone else's class for 30 minutes, I got the notice from HR that I'll be doing my demonstration for the hiring committee alone - 6 people and that's it!
As someone who just concluded a hiring search (successful, yeah, I think we got a really good person), can I just say that's the stupidest way to judge anyone's teaching that I've ever heard of??? What are they thinking?!

I would DEFINITELY make them do group work -- set the stage, give them a task, check in with them, but make them work. You can preface it with a bit on active learning philosophy or whatever philosophies you draw from. Make sure for your teaching demo to have one or two (that's it!) specific student learning outcomes that you want to focus on. What specific things should they know/be able to do by the end of your 30 minutes? How are each of your activities targeted to that? How will you assess learning at the end? (That should impress them if you can work that in.)

Quote:
I did have an uplifting discussion with our department head on Friday - spent several hours in her office discussing a variety of non-interview related things. She said that if *she* could singlehandedly offer me the job, she would. That makes me feel good. Of course now there's the committee to contend with.
That's great -- it's always good to have an advocate!

Penelope -- congrats on finishing!!

Wendy - congrats on the grant. Way to go!!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#148 of 371 Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks!

I actually need fashion advice from BTDT professor mamas - I've got a campus interview for a TT job, so yay! and I'm not completely sure what to wear. I've got a pretty good professional wardrobe (proximity to TJ Maxx + a tendency to combat stress with retail therapy that we don't need to get into here) and so I've got options ranging from jackets/skirts/pants to very nice suits. I've got a decent sense of what looks good on me and a very good sense for what fits.

I'm inclined to wear a skirt suit (fits well, skirt neither short nor tight, but knee length) and heels, but I'm worried that will be too dressy somehow. I also have some nice pants suits (one black, one pinstriped) and basically an infinite number of other work-appropriate combinations. Plus shoes. I'm completely comfortable in a skirt and heels, and usually wear clothes that are on the dressy side for my current teaching job, but I haven't done a campus interview yet and I'm just a little uncertain. The school is a small liberal arts college in the Midwest, in a small town close to a city, fwiw.

Any suggestions?

#149 of 371 Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd pretty much count on being the most dressed up person on campus on the day of your interview. A suit (either skirt or pants) is standard.

My only caution (voice of experience here...) is the make ABSOLUTELY sure that the shoes you wear will be comfortable enough to stand in and walk. In my field, the interview generally ends with an hour long lecture. After standing for long periods, walking to lunch, taking a walking tour of campus/lab facilities, I've had foot cramps in the middle of my talk twice now. Not good.

Have fun and good luck!
#150 of 371 Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks! I think I'll go with the skirt suit, then - maybe I can let dh help me decide, althought it's Not His Thing. I've got a great pair of heels that I bought for a friend's wedding years ago but they're still a. in good shape and b. stylish and beautiful and c. not too high and d. comfy so I think I'll wear them.

Although if there's going to be trotting around campus, it might be worth bringing some flats to slip into... I could stash them in my bag. I wouldn't have thought of that possibility! <overthinking the wardrobe thing>

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page