Professor Mamas - it's 2008! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 371 Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering our old thread was started almost 2 years ago, I figured it's time for a new start. (that, and I'm avoiding the reality of having to teach again in a few days, after my parental leave semester.)

should we have a members list, you think?

well anyway, ROLL CALL!

oh, and I don't know if any of you like ann taylor loft, but they have a teacher's special right now that even works for university teachers...
#2 of 371 Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM

I was intimidated by the size of the other thread, though I lurked some. I consider myself sort of a professor-mama, especially now when I'm preparing my lecture notes for the upcoming semester. I am an adjunct law professor at two different law schools, where I teach Corporations and a related seminar. I also do research and consulting on corporate governance for a research firm and institutional investor clients. I have indefinitely postponed going on the job market for a TT job because my work and family demands don't allow enough time for scholarship. Or perhaps if I were more honest I would say that I'm not motivated enough to overcome the obstacles I face, which are probably no more daunting than anyone else's!

DS is 7-1/2 and DD turns 5 later this month.

I look forward to meeting other profs--

Beth
#3 of 371 Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Yes, new threads are so much easier to keep up with, aren't they.

Anybody have any experience being on a research leave but getting inundated with things that simply have to be done now? These are projects that I've been working on for YEARS but suddenly other people are moving on them and this is the worse possible time for me with a book deadline.

I can't simply be rude and tell them to talk to me next quarter, can I?

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#4 of 371 Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm a pretenure professor of geophysics at a Massive State University. Stress is my middle name.
#5 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 AM

Science momma to two wonderful kids, pretenure (which means stressed out ), trying to anchor my boat on Sanity Land. I got some very good advice here and looking forward to some more!

rock_dr -- good luck in the new semester! I was in your shoes last semester and it was rough, mainly bc. I did not have good childcare arrangements and my DD was sick quite a bit

Good luck everyone in 2008!

Mom to DS (04) , DD ( 07) , DS ( 09)
#6 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 AM

Hi all
Another pre-tenure prof here, mom of one ds with another on the way in May. I'm also in the process of job searching right now, and have had two interviews that I think went very well, but I have to wait until after everyone gets back to work to find out if there are any offers forthcoming.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#7 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 AM

Hiya!

I'm a lecturer in music and going back next week for my second semester back after four years off! I'll be eager to see how this thread goes, the other one got looooong. Thanks for starting a new one!

I'll be teaching a music fundamentals class, conducting one choir, and assisting with a large choir/orchestra. I also coordinate all the applied music for the university, and I'll be teaching several voice students. I also maintain a small but active private voice studio and have a weekend church choir job. Oh, and there are the four year old twins.

Hm. I think I just realized why the laundry never gets done.

I saw on the other thread there were a lot of science/research/tenure folks, so I'm here to represent the arts and the part timers! Howdy!
#8 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I'm a new Ph.D. grad & a VAP at a small school. I'll be on the job market next year (in the humanities - blech), but dp has a tenure-track job where we are right now, so I don't know how all that will play out. I try not to think about it too much as it adds incredible amounts of stress to my daily like. I'm trying to focus on teaching and getting a few more pieces out for publication so that when I go on the market, I'll be in the best shape possible.
#9 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilson View Post
Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I'm a new Ph.D. grad & a VAP at a small school. I'll be on the job market next year (in the humanities - blech), but dp has a tenure-track job where we are right now, so I don't know how all that will play out. I try not to think about it too much as it adds incredible amounts of stress to my daily like. I'm trying to focus on teaching and getting a few more pieces out for publication so that when I go on the market, I'll be in the best shape possible.
Wherefore the blech? I lurvs me the humanities! Different for tenure-seekers perhaps? In any case, all the best to ya!
#10 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Hi all! I subbed to the other thread and posted just a few times... I teach English, am tenured, and love reading about other prof moms' experience (since there are few moms with young ones where I teach).

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#11 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyY View Post
Wherefore the blech? I lurvs me the humanities! Different for tenure-seekers perhaps? In any case, all the best to ya!
Blech only because there are way too few jobs for way too many people right now (English)!
#12 of 371 Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilson View Post
Blech only because there are way too few jobs for way too many people right now (English)!
Ah, sad but true in music as well. Fortunately I like part time.

Holding a good thought for ya...
#13 of 371 Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM

Hi there,

I'm a lecturer in linguistics, and I return to work tomorrow after a five month leave. I'm non-tenure track and my job is mostly administrative: I direct various ESL programs for my university: in the graduate school, the college of arts and sciences, and for the continuing ed branch of the university.

We still haven't gotten childcare solidified so I'm taking my DD to work with me tomorrow, having MIL come for two days to babysit, and then working from home for the last two days of the week. I'll do this until we find a part-time nanny who can be here when I work from home.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#14 of 371 Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Hi Guys!!

I'm checking in.

I am pre-tenure, Psychology, in a research intensive institution; just about 2 years shy of going up for tenure.

I have one toddler boy and I am 30 days from being officially a single mom!!!

My biggest challenge: Keep up the rate of productivity without any assistance at home or with childcare outside of regular business hours. No opps. to work on the weekend or evening; trying to stay focused and calm.
#15 of 371 Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm an ABD in geology, teach 75% (or 0%) at the local community college and am debating applying for a job this year. I like the pt gig I have (I like it even more this semester since the dept. finally decided to support phd students again -- long story, but basically I started teaching because my funding ran out and the dept. wouldn't hire phd candidates as teaching assistants).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#16 of 371 Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm teaching one art history course at a 2-year college and I'll also be working as a part-time at a different community college.

There's also a good chance that I'll be able to teach Developmental English in the Fall. Not my field but most people who teach are out of area anyway.
#17 of 371 Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM

I'm a tenure-track history professor with my first child on her way, coming in April. I'm enjoying my time off until classes start next Monday, but still have a bunch of stuff to do!
#18 of 371 Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM

I'm ABD in musicology, teaching one classroom course (world music survey) at one institution and two online music appreciation classes at another. Mostly I'm trying to figure out what I was thinking when I said yes to the third class when I should just be working on my dissertation.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#19 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 AM

I'm in a visiting AP position at the institution where my DH has tenure. I gave up a TT job to come here. We're both in the psychology dept. They MAY have a position in a year or so that I can apply to. My son is 3 months old today, and DH is taking parental leave this semester (no teaching duties). I am teaching 3 courses, one of which is a new prep.

We're living in a 2 BR apt and planning to build a house in the next 6 months, and my (blind) MIL just moved in with us last Sunday.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#20 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm in a FT term position at a small university where my dh has a TT position (different dept - both science). I'm still not up to speed on teaching new preps, keeping research going, writing papers, and writing grants all at the same time. I keep hoping things will get better when my son starts sleeping and my head clears a little...

My other challenge has involved being half of a academic couple - right now, I'm the one following him. It sounds like several of you are dealing with the same issues.

But I'm working in the same city as I live and that's a nice change from last year!
#21 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Hi!

I'm a mommy to a 3 year old ds and tt in an interdisciplinary social sciences + humanities program. i left my last tt job 1 year before tenure, in order to move our family to a more family-friendly environment and teach in a really innovative program ... so now I'm 2 1/2 years from tenure, and starting to realize I need to publish again!

happy january break to all -- I'm hoping to continue to be as productive
as I was last week!
#22 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

ah, january break. would be nice (*sighs as she watches the daily ski report*).

Ana-Isabel - good luck to you mama! Those are big challenges but it seems like you've done so well with them thus far.

I guess I should do an intro too! I am TT in earth science at a big state university (BS-U?)... just informed I will be nominated for T&P this spring, to go through in 08-09, and feeling great about it! Had a baby last summer and, so far anyway, I'm still fairly productive at work even though I'm spending less time at the office and not sleeping. I think the timing was good, fwiw. I started a faculty moms group last semester and it has been really great to meet other moms across campus.

I also have been looking at another job opportunity. Or rather, trying to figure out if I even want to contact them with questions. I am pretty happy here, but does it hurt to look around? It would potentially be a step 'up' in terms of $$, prestige, and also probably their demands (pubs and grants)... a step down in location and probably dept politics.
#23 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Greetings, mamas!

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a full professor in physics at Small Regional State University, and I'm chairperson of my department. It's not as research intensive as most of your institutions, but then, we have to teach 12 contact hours (~4 courses) a semester.

My husband and I got engaged at the end of undergrad, but my husband and I went to graduate schools in completely different parts of the country, and we ended up with jobs in completely different parts of the country. Our original plan was to get married after we found jobs in the same time zone. 11 years after we got engaged, we decided that we weren't anywhere nearer our goal, so we just got married and continued to live in different time zones. 4 years after that, my husband found a tenure track position at a university that is only one hour away from where I work. 2 days after my husband moved here to start his job, BAM, my dd was conceived.

Dd is now almost 4 years old. My husband, who was only in his first year of tt when dd was born, and is going up for tenure next year, has more in common with many of you mamas than I. By the time dd was born, I had already had tenure for four years, and was department chair. All this is just to say that I very much admire all of you mamas who are going through the tenure track and I wish you all well in your careers.
#24 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Hi, TT professor in Geology at a big state university. I posted frequently on the last thread. I'm on the same tenure track timing as rock_dr. However, I am thinking about delaying for one year. Not only have I been through pregancy and given birth twice during my non-tenured time but I had to bear the pain of losing my baby daughter, Norah, last November. Today was my first day back really since her death and I was intensely sad but didn't break down or anything. Many of you all did not know that she died but I couldn't bear to login and tell you. Anyway, there it is. How am I supposed to function this semester? I just live day to day and don't seem to have brain functioning capacity. Didn't want to bring down the thread but that is my biggest challenge for the semester.

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#25 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

oh no d., I am so so sorry. be gentle with yourself, take the time you need.
#26 of 371 Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh ((((Delores)))). I'm so, so sorry. : Please be gentle with yourself. Take the time you need, and vent or cry on our shoulders. We're here for you.
#27 of 371 Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM

I'm so sorry .

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#28 of 371 Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

d.
#29 of 371 Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread and area of MDC! Am just about to start a part-time non-tenure track research position in the social sciences next week and am really happy about it. Left a tt job after two years to be SAHM with little one (now 14 months) 8 months ago. His first six months DH (also a tt prof) stayed home with him while he was on research leave and I taught. Was glad to have the SAHM experience but am also looking forward to finding my professional self again. Now if only I can keep my heart from breaking when DS cries after me when I leave him with the babysitter... He'll be in daycare three days a week starting week after next, but for now will be with a friend who has a DD a month younger, but it's been tough already! I feel like I'm betraying him somehow.
#30 of 371 Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittaker View Post
Yes, new threads are so much easier to keep up with, aren't they.

Anybody have any experience being on a research leave but getting inundated with things that simply have to be done now? These are projects that I've been working on for YEARS but suddenly other people are moving on them and this is the worse possible time for me with a book deadline.

I can't simply be rude and tell them to talk to me next quarter, can I?
OK, I've got 3 minutes while dd finishes her breakfast before I need to pack her in the car and get to campus for my advising hours.

Yes, you can and you SHOULD!!! When I was on sabbatical, I had an automated response that went out to everyone: "I am on sabbatical until June 15, 2007. If you have an urgent matter, please contact the main office (insert phone/e-mail)."

Remember, your leave is YOUR LEAVE. People will eat up as much time as you give them.

We are hiring in our department this quarter. One of my colleagues is on sabbatical. She has wisely stayed out of the process. She will meet the candidates, but she won't do any of the work.

Just say "I'll get back to you in April." "No, that will have to wait until April." "That sounds like a great thing to work on in April." Tape those phrases to your mirror, your computer screen and tattoo it on the back of your hand! DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE DESTROY YOUR LEAVE.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page