4 Day Work Week - which day off?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When ds started daycare, he had to have Thursday off because the centre was full that day. We've stuck with it for about 9 months, but now we're switching to a new centre and we have the pick of days. Since I just do my schoolwork at home when he's in daycare, my schedule doesn't matter.

So my question is, if you had a 4-day work week, which day would you choose "off" and why? Would you do a long weekend, or take off Wednesday to break up the week? Or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do the long weekend.

Right now, it's Mondays off; before it was Fridays. Fridays are nice because then when there is a holiday on Mondays, one gets a longer weekend.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
PJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by loitering View Post
When ds started daycare, he had to have Thursday off because the centre was full that day. We've stuck with it for about 9 months, but now we're switching to a new centre and we have the pick of days. Since I just do my schoolwork at home when he's in daycare, my schedule doesn't matter.

So my question is, if you had a 4-day work week, which day would you choose "off" and why? Would you do a long weekend, or take off Wednesday to break up the week? Or something else?
How great for you to have an option.
Definitely WEDNESDAY so that you never work more than 2 days in a row. It is slightly better than a three day weekend due to two breaks a week IMO.
#4 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

My DH does 4 day weeks (how I'd love that option at my job!) and he's always had Friday's off.

We thought about taking Wednesday off, but it would be just too much working getting and and then back out of a routine. On our days off we like to stay up late and sleep in (yes, even DD!), lounge around, etc. . .and having one day in the middle of the week off just throws everything else off.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#5 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 PM

For us Wednesday worked best. I used the day to catch up on housework. I usually washed diapers because after two days it had to be done. I would clean the kitchen and prepare for the next two days of work. It made life so much easier when I had that day to get stuff done.

Mom to '97, '07, '09 and birth mom '00 and wife to my BFF
#6 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 PM

I take off Fridays too. My kids are all in school and it helps me get everything ready /done so that we can all have an enjoyable weekend. I have thought of switching to Mondays because my youngest ds has early release that day but so far working a slightly shorter Monday and slightly longer the rest of the week has allowed me to preserve "my Fridays" and also go on lots of fieldtrips with various kiddos.
#7 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
I take off Fridays too. My kids are all in school and it helps me get everything ready /done so that we can all have an enjoyable weekend. I have thought of switching to Mondays because my youngest ds has early release that day but so far working a slightly shorter Monday and slightly longer the rest of the week has allowed me to preserve "my Fridays" and also go on lots of fieldtrips with various kiddos.
I do the same thing, cleaning and grocery shopping on Fridays except my youngest is in preschool – I guess I am really lucky - I work in a school library so I work school hours; can easily do the school drop off and pick up and I get school holidays to spend with the kids.

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#8 of 17 Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM

I had every other monday off for the longest time and let me tell you there was NOTHING like that three day weekend twice a month

Even on the weekends I worked it was nice to have monday off because I could get my head back together after the craziness.
#9 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I had a 4-day schedule I took Fridays, mostly because that was worked for my employer. But knowing my daughter as well, I know that for her, 4 days in a row of daycare works MUCH better in terms of her adjusting to routine etc. Taking a day off and then adding days after would tend to throw her off.
Enjoy!
#10 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM

I work four 9 hour days and have Fridays off.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#11 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM

I would prefer Mondays off, but I would likely end up picking Fridays because it's sort of the better career move to be in the office on Mondays. Not that I am saying that is always the most important thing of course...

Mainly, I would just like a three-day weekend and I don't care how I'd have to take it. Some day...

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#12 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Right now I am just working Monday - Wednesday, because that is when my nanny is availble, but to get everything done I also end up working Tuesday - Thursday evenings or early mornings, when the kiddos are asleep or when dd is in preschool. Like now.

So that leaves Friday as my day off, mostly due to circumstances, but in my business it is probably the best day to have off anyway. I write briefs for other attorneys, and a lot of my clients see their clients over the weekend, then are on the phone to me on Monday morning, while Fridays are usually pretty quiet, so it works best for me to have Fridays off. Besides, I really like having the day at the end of the week after all my work is done - imo, otherwise Tuesday would just be another Monday, kwim? Just the way I am programmed, I guess...

ETA: ITA with the pps who said Wed. off would really mess up the routine. It certainly would for us too.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#13 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Friday is my day off too!

Work Monday
Clinicals Tues
Clinicals Wed
Lecture Thurs
Playgroup, gymnastics on Friday
Work Saturday

phew! This semester is gonna fly by! poor DH
#14 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I am going to take Fridays off! To be honest, parenting three days straight without a mental break isn't appealing to me But I've had trouble focusing on my schoolwork lately so maybe I'll be able to get into the mindset better if I do my work 4 days straight. Plus one of my sisters wants to spend Sunday afternoons with ds, so I'll spend that time cleaning up and getting ready for the week.
#15 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM

I just negotiated with my boss to have Wednesdays off for the first few months after I return from maternity leave. I work very long hours, and I feel like having a 3-day-weekend wouldn't make up for not seeing DC more than an hour or two a day for 4 days running. Right now it's really tough with a one-year-old, but I can't imagine how it would be when the baby comes.
#16 of 17 Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always like having Thursdays off. It was kind of a long stretch, then nice day off with DS, then only one more day to the weekend! Three straight kid days, though wonderful, were a bit tough if DH was out of town for work (not often, thankfully, but sometimes). Since the OP is a single mama, she may want to take that into consideration.
#17 of 17 Old 01-11-2008, 02:18 AM
p.s

Weds.
so things don't pile up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page