Student mamas, anybody take a babe to class with you?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm looking at College in the fall but my biggest concern is baby. She's 6 months now and the most content, happy babe I've ever seen. She'll be just over a year when I go back but I'm assuming she'll still be worn all the time and just happy being with me like she is now. The daycare here has a high babe, caregiver ratio and does not like to rock to sleep, hold more than absolutely necessary,ect. I'm thinking that that might be OK given her laid back personality by that age for morning but come nap time she'll need held and nursed. Given that she would prob nurse and sleep on me all afternoon, I'm wondering about going and getting her at lunch...

Has anybody done this?? I realize it would depend on the instructors and students but as long as she is as quiet and content as she is now I can't see the problem....
#2 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM

I would do it with a newborn, but at a year I don't think she will be happy to be quietly slung. Once they start crawling and walking, it's kind of game over for that stuff. I don't think it's realistic, sorry.
#3 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah, my DD is 10 months and this kid can't sit still for 5 minutes!! Even just taking her out to eat requires us to bring a whole arsenal of things to keep her entertained. Of course, she is also walking now and it just may be her personality... but she's my only experience!
#4 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM

At a year, I still brought my baby with me to class once in a while, if she was napping or happy sitting in her stroller with a book and some toys. At that point, she liked having her own space and being able to move around, chatter, and so on.

If I had to do it regularly, I would have been far too stressed, and I think she would have been bored.
#5 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As a student I wold find it very distracting. I would not like it.
#6 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM

And so we traded off during classes who would take care of DD. I was fortunate to only have 6 more credits to complete when she was 6mos. If we could not work out a time where we both needed to be somewhere, we had friends on campus that would take her for an hour or so.
Is there another mama that you could try to coordinate class schedules with? That way you could go to class unhindered, but know that dc was getting the attention she needs. Then you could oblige the other way. I know that had there been another baby around my dd would have LOVED the interaction. She had a great time socializing with all the adults, but it would have been even better to have another baby around.
#7 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 01:30 PM

I guess it depends on the personality of the baby and length of time. DD would have been thrown out after 30 seconds. Once she could crawl, she would not stay still, she had to investigate. Once she could walk, she could not stay still in public for even 10 seconds.
#8 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM

I can't imagine a toddler doing that. Even if they are mellow as babies, toddlers like to move and are often vocal about it.
Honestly if I was a fellow student in your class, I would be really pissed off at a toddler in class every day. If someone is paying good money for a class, it wouldn't be fair to bring in distractions that may effect their learning. Also, I would be really surprised if you could find professors who were okay with it across the board.
I wonder if you can set up your schedule so that you don't have class during that time, or so that you could go and nurse her to sleep and leave her at the nursery?

Disclaimer: I am not against babies in society and I would not have trouble with babies or toddlers in class occasionally if child care fell through. I just think it is rude to plan to do it everyday.
#9 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM

DS would be running/ crawling all over the place.
#10 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

I would massively PO'd if someone brought a child older than a newborn to any of my classes. Babies/toddlers crawl/walk/run around, get into things, and are NOISY. I'm paying to be there and to learn, not to be distracted by someone else's kid.
#11 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM

I did last week actually...and it was not good..
My babe is really happy and content baby as well, given that he is being carried around when sleepy.
Well...he was sleepy...and I had to get out of the classroom twice to put him to sleep.
I felt sorry for myself and other students...
And he didn't even want to nurse to sleep, because of all things to look at...
#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. We'll see.... Of all of my 4 children, she is the only one I would even consider it with, she's just so MELLOW. I'm now thinking though that if I just go and nurse her at noon I should be able to nurse her to sleep and then put her in her Amby bed. She just may sleep until I come back to pick her up!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page