Seperation Anxiety (1 yr. old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son recently turned 1. His seperation anxiety has increased dramatically (he's always been fairly attached to just me) and I am afraid the dcp may ask me to find other care. What I am trying to explain to her is that he has recently had a lot of changes in his dcp recently and that he needs time to adjust. Here's the timeline.

7.5 months- started daycare
11 months- my sister was his nanny for what was suppose to be a 1 yr. gig
12 months- started a new daycare.

I tried a slower transition this time-- a couple of long visits with me and 2 days of just a few hours. Yesterday he was unhappy. Not really crying, but whining all day. His care provider carried him in her arms all day and if she put him down he would scream (I'm going to offer my carrier next week..) She has 2 other babies to care for. My DP stayed home 1/2 day today and I stayed home 1/2 day b/c we couldn't stand sending him knowing he was so sad. It isn't feasible for either of us to continue to use sick time (or go to 1 income.) Interestingly, since he started he has come home and played happily while we made dinner--previously he would only want me to hold him?

so, I am looking for ways to make it easier on my son and the daycare? Thanks
#2 of 4 Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was just curious whether you thought there could be some other explanation for his behavior besides separation anxiety. Many children are teething quite a bit around this age, and this can make them quite irritable and fussy. Could there be a physical reason like this for his behavior. I agree it would be challenging for the dcp but it is also probably a temporary situation. Most kids move through this type of phase fairly readily when they have consistent, loving support.

#3 of 4 Old 02-09-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
I was just curious whether you thought there could be some other explanation for his behavior besides separation anxiety. Many children are teething quite a bit around this age, and this can make them quite irritable and fussy. Could there be a physical reason like this for his behavior. I agree it would be challenging for the dcp but it is also probably a temporary situation. Most kids move through this type of phase fairly readily when they have consistent, loving support.
I have considered that and have treated the symptoms the best that I am able. I think they contribute to his fussiness, but wonder if there is more to it? I am just curious as to what anxiety looks like and how others help their child through the separation anxiety phase?
#4 of 4 Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM

When did he start daycare? Is he happy as long as he is being held?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page