Introduction - any nursing students? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would post in this thread because it most accurately describes me. Hello to everyone. I am currently a full time working mom of one very rowdy almost five year old. I just got married in January and we are TTC. In August of 09 I am quitting work and my husband and I are going to nursing school (accelerated BSN's) so that we can get a job overseas. We want to go to Dubai and New Zealand and everywhere else we can and thought nursing was our best ticket. I would like to specialize in midwifery. So in the meantime we are having our baby while I still have health insurance. So just wanted to introduce myself and open myself up to everyone telling me I am crazy.
#2 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Welcome! I'm currently taking my ADN pre-reqs part-time and working full-time as a CNA.
#3 of 17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM

I just applied to a Master's Accelerated Program in Nursing to eventually become a Family Nurse Practitioner. I have a BS in Biology, but work in software (for the last 8 yrs).

I'm taking my last prereq, and I really hope to get in the program!
#4 of 17 Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Welcome! I'm currently taking my ADN pre-reqs part-time and working full-time as a CNA.
Hi

Do you mind sharing what hours you work? I'll be taking my CNA course in June and I'm also taking my pre-reqs for the nursing program. I really hope to get a 3p-11p shift working after I get my CNA cert. Also, do you work LTC or hospital?

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#5 of 17 Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm taking my pre-req's right now. I'm in A&P I this semester.
#6 of 17 Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what hours you work? I'll be taking my CNA course in June and I'm also taking my pre-reqs for the nursing program. I really hope to get a 3p-11p shift working after I get my CNA cert. Also, do you work LTC or hospital?
No problem. I work in LTC and I'm *supposed* to work dayshift (6:30am-2:30pm) Wed-Sun but that isn't really happening. Today I worked until 5:30pm and I usually work doubles (I don't get off until 10:30pm) on Sat, Sun, or both. We're really shorthanded, but that's how it goes in nursing homes. I love my job and I don't mind the hours because the time seems to fly by.

My work schedule is the main reason I'm only in school PT. I have a 3 hour class on Monday evenings and my other class is online. I have 30 something credits that I transferred.
#7 of 17 Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Hi! I've just decided to pursue nursing. I'm also planning on an accererated second degree BSN program. I just enrolled for spring classes to finish up some prereqs. We're also ttc. I think I'm crazy myself! We can be crazy together!

Shelley
#8 of 17 Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM

glad i found this thread... i hope others join. I had been thinking for a long time that i wanted to go to midwifery school and also double up with homeopathy, but now i'm thinking about doing an Nurse Practitioner program and then doing various certs. in herbalism, homeopathy etc... so i can basically be an alternative NP. There is a practice nearby me that does just that, and i have emailed them to see if they will meet with me and answer questions. Since i don't have an undergrad nursing degree, it would be a year of pre-req's then probably 3 years part-time. ack! that's so much school... i thought i would never go back to school. but... i'm really drawn to the idea of not being on-call, serving a greater diversity of people, having more flexibility adn job security...

mama2tristan... what program did you apply to? how long is it? are you going full or part-time?

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#9 of 17 Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Hi All,

I'm planning to go back to school for an RN, and hopefully get a CNM or NP down the road.

I've been thinking about this for a long time (actually, I even considered it when I was an undergrad the first time), and trying to psych myself up. I always get intimidated by the science. But, logically, I know I can do it. I have a BA and I did really well in college.

I'm also worried about how it will affect my kids -- I have 4. The oldest 3 are in preschool 3 hrs/day and that will continue next fall, but I also have an infant who will need care Again, logically, I *know* my kids will be okay, and that I *can* find good care for them, but it is such a change, yk?

But I am *SO* excited about going back to school, and then having a job where I can earn decent money for my family. We have a farm, and my dh works *all* the time, but we are still always chasing our tails to pay the bills, yk?

I was thinking of doing some of the classes online through the community college over the next year, then transferring to the local state college RN program in fall of 09, but now I think I might as well jump in to it. I'm going to apply (I'm not sure if they even have spaces left in the program for this fall). I think I can still lighten my load a bit by taking some classes online this summer. And I think I'll be able to transfer a few of the credits from my BA (it was in psych).

So.

Thats me

I need all the encouragement I can get!
#10 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Hello everyone,
I might as well join in and let you see how crazy I am. I am 34 and I am in nursing school full time. I have 5 beautiful children, 3 boys and 2 girls, ranging in age from 13 to 2. The kicker is that I am almost 10 weeks pregnant. This one was a surprise. I was all psyched about taking this summer off but in light of the pregnancy will be taking Pharmacology online this summer to lighten my load in the fall. I have always been a stay at home mom so this is going to be different. I chose to pursue my dream of being a nurse when my husband hurt his back and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in his lumbar vertebrae. He has 3 really degenerated vertebrae and 2 flat discs. The doctors say hold off on surgery as long as possible because he is only 39. So that is how I started to follow my dream. I have had 6 first trimester miscarriages and have had 5 homebirths. This pregnancy I am feeling good except for the m/s. I will feel better when I am 12 weeks. I am taking medsurg.1, mental health nursing, and microbiology this semester, so my plate is pretty full. Oh and we also are homeschooling and have been from the start. I am in a 2 yr. associate of science program at Missouri State University-West Plains and I plan to atleast further to my bachelor. From there I will decide what I want to do. I don't want to miss to much of the kids growing up. I will stop for now, I can be wordy. I look forward to visiting with everyone. Helen
#11 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I chose to pursue my dream of being a nurse when my husband hurt his back and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in his lumbar vertebrae. He has 3 really degenerated vertebrae and 2 flat discs. The doctors say hold off on surgery as long as possible because he is only 39.
My 24 year old husband had surgery for a shattered disk in January. He feels a lot better since getting it taken care of.
#12 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 AM

I *heart* this thread.

I'm also a mama to five (ages 9-2) working 7p-7am shirt as in home elderly care, babysitting 3 days a week and teaching 2 CBE classes 2 nights a week. Still homeschooling, but it's quickly morphing into Unschooling

also enrolled and beginning my pre-req's this Aug (hey birthjunkie) My hope is by then our situation is less busy all around, dh gets a raise or something. who knows? I never know what the future holds. I'm just along for the ride.

Anyhow, joining in.

holla.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#13 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosehillworks View Post
Hello everyone,
I might as well join in and let you see how crazy I am. I am 34 and I am in nursing school full time. I have 5 beautiful children, 3 boys and 2 girls, ranging in age from 13 to 2. The kicker is that I am almost 10 weeks pregnant. This one was a surprise. I was all psyched about taking this summer off but in light of the pregnancy will be taking Pharmacology online this summer to lighten my load in the fall. I have always been a stay at home mom so this is going to be different. I chose to pursue my dream of being a nurse when my husband hurt his back and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in his lumbar vertebrae.
Hey Helen, congratulations and welcome to MDC

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#14 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus'smama View Post
Hi All,

I'm also worried about how it will affect my kids -- I have 4. The oldest 3 are in preschool 3 hrs/day and that will continue next fall, but I also have an infant who will need care Again, logically, I *know* my kids will be okay, and that I *can* find good care for them, but it is such a change, yk?

But I am *SO* excited about going back to school, and then having a job where I can earn decent money for my family. We have a farm, and my dh works *all* the time, but we are still always chasing our tails to pay the bills, yk?
!
I think we can all relate to that I feel the same way with the care issues vs. the fun of school or being able to support us all

#15 of 17 Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 AM

hi all!

I am currently working on pre-reqs for the ADN nursing program here. I'm in anatomy this semester, i also work 40 hours have a 2 year old am a doula and volunteer at a local birth center. yikes! it sounds like more then it is but i'm definitely filled up with only taking one class at a time.

i also plan on being a midwife at the end of all this.

: the sun is always shining here. loving life with DP and DS
#16 of 17 Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Wow, there are other people even crazier than I am. I am 8 weeks away from completing my ADN!! Can't wait! I have one DD and worked part-time as an engineer for the first semester of the program and now stay home with her (I'm in the evening program). It's tough! I think people think I have it easy, but really it was easier in many ways to be WOH, I just couldn't stand not seeing DD and never being home. I don't get home from clinical until 2am, and 6am comes fast! Luckily DD is still napping, those 2 hrs are my only studying time! I really care about my studies, so I could probably get by with a lot less stress/studying but that would just not be me! I decided to put off more children until I at least had my RN and some experience so I would have options for per diem work later. I plan on going into L&D, but no job yet...
#17 of 17 Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Ok, so I don't know if I count, but I am an RN with a BSN taking my prereqs for CRNA and I am somewhere around 6weeks prego. At this point I am avoiding telling my mom I am pregnant because I don't want to hear about how now is not a good time to go back to school.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page