My teacher gave me an Incomplete - WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got an Incomplete for a class I attended Winter quarter. I did every assignment and test. I emailed and called her to find out why I had an I. Finally she got back to me today and says she doesn't have a grade for the first test and do I still have the paper. Of course I don't, it was back in January. I had no reason to keep it. Now I'm afraid that she's going to refuse to change my grade. Maybe she'll let me do another paper or something to make up for it (even though it's not fair since I already did it).

If she refuses to let me do anything or change it, I'm going to go to the head of the department.

WWYD?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. I am so sorry this is happening. I would definitely go to the head of the department. I cannot believe she waited this long to say anything. Do not give up. Be strong.

Good luck.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 AM

If she gave you an incomplete, then I would assume she expects you to make those up in some way. Otherwise she would have given you an F (or whatever the numbers added up to).

Always keep your papers/tests/syllabus/other class materials until after you have your grade. Of course you have a reason to keep it: it proves that you completed the assignment and that it received a certain grade. Anyhow, January wasn't that long ago. Did you save any copies at all, maybe on disk or your hard drive or in an email file/attachment or anywhere? If it was on your hard drive, can you try to recover the file? She's going to need a copy of it or something to give you a grade for the assignment.

You might also ask her if she has any earlier printed-out versions of her gradebook from late January or early February that might show your score on the paper or test.

Also, remember that (unfortunately) the burden of proof is probably on you, so it's probably in your best interests to ask how the incomplete can be resolved and look for a mutually-acceptable solution. The department head is likely to just refer you back to the prof to resolve the situation.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM

When I have given incompletes I generally provided assigments that the student could in order for me to grade them, it seems your instructor should do that in this situation. I also agree with the advice that in the future, you should keep all your work until the class is over and you have received your grade. Sorry you are dealing with this.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
If she refuses to let me do anything or change it, I'm going to go to the head of the department.
I think someone's already said this (more or less), but if she were going to refuse to do anything, she wouldn't have given you the Incomplete. "Incompletes" are designed to be changed--think of it as a placeholder for the grade you'll get later. If she asked if you still have the paper, then it seems she knows you did it, KWIM?

I'd suggest making an appointment with her to cooperatively work out a plan of action.

Mom of two girls.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:13 PM

A class I was TAing lost all of the grades for one of the tests. The computer where they were stored failed and the TA who entered them (not me) had not made a backup.

We couldn't require students to still have the tests in their possession. Working with the head of the department we came up with a plan.
If students had their tests, they could show them to us and we would record the grade. If they didn't, we just calculated their grade for the semester without the test. That test didn't go into the denominator so they weren't dinged in any way for not having that grade, we just calculated a grade from the tests we did have.

If you will get the grade you want without this missing score if it isn't counted as a zero, I would propose to the prof that your grade just be calculated from the available info. If you need that grade to bring up your grade, then I would ask for another assignment.

Mom to Kira March 2009
Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 AM

Yeah, if she gave you an incomplete, she expects you to make up the work somehow. So she probably intends to let you re-take the exam.

And the reason for keeping your test was for just such a situation.

User Tag List