AAARRGH! Update #22 When Is A Good Time to Follow-up with Prospective Employer? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When Should Dh Call?
Today (Thursday) 2 6.67%
Friday 8 26.67%
Wait the full 10 days, then call 18 60.00%
Don't call them, wait for them to call him 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week dh got a call from a company he had sent his resume to. The head recruiter there asked him to send her an updated resume and they talked a bit about what the job entailed which was pretty much a perfect fit for dh. The next day she e-mailed him asking him a few more questions. He replied right away and she replied back saying that she would get it all submitted and would hopefully get back to him within 10 days. That was last Friday. Of course it was Memorial Day weekend so it was a long weekend. Dh and I have been pretty much staring at the phone since Friday. We're unemployed right now and he really needs this job.

He wants to call and follow up since we haven't heard anything yet. I told him to wait til Friday, what do you think? Could he call today? Is there a certain amount of time he should wait?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM

I voted to wait. Calling a busy person before they have a chance to review the material - and before they said they'd get back to you - won't help. Hopefully the resume will speak for itself.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Wait the full ten days. I work for a larger company and it takes time to get through the process internally. Deep breaths and lots of OM to you and your DH!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM

He could send them a really nice email thanking them again for considering him, etc......

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, perhaps a silly question, but do you think they mean 10 business days or just 10 days?

Argh, this is so aggravating. We're on pins and needles here watching our savings dwindle away a little every day.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM

From the standpoint that this person he has contact with is a recruiter, she is used to getting the phone calls. Is she with HR or would be an actual boss of his?

As an employer, I know that my schedule can be offset by many things and sometimes less important issues (new employees) will take the back burner to pressing issues (current contract). I have always been of the opinion that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and a phone call would refresh that person in my mind. As well, IMHO, it shows initiative, something that seems to be lacking the current workforce.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM

They ususally mean 10 business days (2 Weeks). The job may still be open and they may have to accept resumes through a certain period of time.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mamaterra~ View Post
From the standpoint that this person he has contact with is a recruiter, she is used to getting the phone calls. Is she with HR or would be an actual boss of his?

As an employer, I know that my schedule can be offset by many things and sometimes less important issues (new employees) will take the back burner to pressing issues (current contract). I have always been of the opinion that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and a phone call would refresh that person in my mind. As well, IMHO, it shows initiative, something that seems to be lacking the current workforce.
She's def just the recruiter and wouldn't be his boss in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
They ususally mean 10 business days (2 Weeks). The job may still be open and they may have to accept resumes through a certain period of time.
The company does contracting...so dh would be a civilian contractor at a military base. When she first contacted him she explained that this contract came up suddenly and they needed to fill it quickly so they didn't even bother to put it on their website or anything. The first time they talked she sort of made it sound like dh would get the job unless there was something weird on his resume or something (there's not, this job is exactly what he was doing the past 6 years in the Air Force)...but then she called again asking if he had gone to language school, which he hasn't, so now we're just left wondering if he's not really what they want after all.

ETA: She said his start date would be July 1st and they'd want him there a few days before that for paperwork and such. That's another reason we're on pins and needles. This job is in D.C and we're in Arizona. We want to know asap if we need to coordinate a cross country move with 2 kids and a dog in the next 2-3 weeks, kwim?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 PM

I voted call tomorrow. Pose it like this "I just wanted to follow up with you, make sure you received everything you need. I am very interested in this position, and wanted to see if there was anything at all I could do to help get you any information you need." Then I would try to fish for info like how soon a decision would be made, has he been ruled out, "feel free to call me if I can help you in any way" - blah - as long as he keeps it cool and concise I don't think it will do any harm, and I am of the "it shows interest and initiative" school of thought. Good luck to you both.

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangozulu View Post
I voted call tomorrow. Pose it like this "I just wanted to follow up with you, make sure you received everything you need. I am very interested in this position, and wanted to see if there was anything at all I could do to help get you any information you need." Then I would try to fish for info like how soon a decision would be made, has he been ruled out, "feel free to call me if I can help you in any way" - blah - as long as he keeps it cool and concise I don't think it will do any harm, and I am of the "it shows interest and initiative" school of thought. Good luck to you both.
I was sort of under that school of thought as well but I've never held a professional job besides being in the military so I know nothing about these matters.

I mean what's the worst that could happen? Would they really say "hey this guy called because he wants this job so forget him let's hire someone else?" I'm not sure I see that any harm could be done but we certainly don't want to screw this up either. I swear it's like getting someone's phone number when you're single and trying to over analyze when you should call so you don't sound too needy but they don't forget about you either, kwim?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I mean what's the worst that could happen? Would they really say "hey this guy called because he wants this job so forget him let's hire someone else?" I'm not sure I see that any harm could be done but we certainly don't want to screw this up either. I swear it's like getting someone's phone number when you're single and trying to over analyze when you should call so you don't sound too needy but they don't forget about you either, kwim?

LOL that is what it is like! Well, I've interviewed for and have been hired for many jobs, and I think it is fine to call tomorrow. It may help you guys relax over the weekend, or decide to spend some time pursuing over avenues depending on how it goes. Keep us posted!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 AM

I didn't vote because I have no clue, but definitely send a thank you note in the meantime--

Good luck and I will be crossing my fingers for you both!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 AM

Old 05-30-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangozulu View Post
I agree with this approach. When I was in the position to hire people, I didn't like being pestered every day by the same person, but it's been awhile and she said the job was a rush to be filled, so it wouldn't hurt to just check in with her briefly.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:40 AM

Wait the full 10 days + 3 more, then call. Sometimes people get busy so I like to give them a bit of leeway.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If she said this contract came up suddenly and needs to be filled ASAP, then I go with calling on Friday. In my experience, following up after a week shows initiative. Following up every day shows OCD!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
If she said this contract came up suddenly and needs to be filled ASAP, then I go with calling on Friday. In my experience, following up after a week shows initiative. Following up every day shows OCD!

LOL yeah. We know not to bug the lady. Dh is great with people and on the phone so he should be totally fine on the phone tomorrow and able to keep concise and such. If it were me I would be a disaster lol.

We decided he'll try and call tomorrow and just see what happens. Heck who knows, maybe they'll call us before we get a chance to call them. That would be cool.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well that was anti-climatic. He called and she had pretty much no info at all. She said she submitted all the resumes last Friday and hopefully they'll hear something soon. Ugh, we're feeling less and less confident about this. At first it seemed like he had it in the bag ya know? Now we're starting to feel bummed. He's been out of the military for 2 weeks now and it's just so darn scary not having a job. And it's so crazy because there seem to be tons of jobs out there for his career in the civilian sector but he just isn't breaking through to get in there.

I also feel bad because a part of me hopes he doesn't get the job because it entails a 4 mos deployment every year to Baghdad for the next 4 years. I'm so sick and tired of deployments, it's why he got out, and Baghdad just terrifies me. It's not worth the good pay if he doesn't come home in one piece. I just keep praying that the right job comes along.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 PM

Sadly that is pretty common, people will get you all pumped up and then its a waiting game. The hiring process really can take quite a while especially these days when often the folks who are doing the hiring are being pulled in a million directions, even when they want to fill a position ASAP it can still take a while. I have done hiring myself and often it would take me a while to connect with applicants, just because I was busy putting out fires. Another thing to is IMO when its a short work week due to a holiday folks get behind, so don't give up hope yet.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's not looking good We still haven't heard anything. I would think by now we would have since the job starts on the 1st of July. Technically, because of memorial weekend the 10 days isn't up until Monday. We're not feeling good at all about this though. This sucks. We've gone over his resume a million times trying to make it as strong as possible. He has good skills and a good amount of experience and yet we can't get anyone to look past his resume. It always ends up in the "no" pile. This is getting scary. It's almost a month now without any income and no current job leads. I know I've sent his resume out for at least 50 jobs. This one was the closest we ever got. This is just so discouraging.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Awww, hang in there! I've been where you are and it's so frightening to be without a job or any prospects. Thinking of you!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

So dh got an e-mail on Monday that they still hadn't made a decision yet but would let everyone know as soon as they did. Great! Except now it's Friday and still no word. They've been deciding for 4 weeks now! What really stinks is the start date is the 1st of July. We live on the opposite side of the country! It is going to be complete chaos here if he gets the job and we need to move in 1.5 weeks. These people are making us :

Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Call. People get busy, and sometimes a little fire under their bum is a good thing. I know as a hiring manager I LIKE it when people call as I know that they are very interested AND it gives me a push to follow through when I have 5 million things on my plate.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Oh, I feel for you guys. Job hunting is sooo painful. How I handle all the stress of waiting is to just keep applying to anything and everything that appears remotely appropriate. Channel that angst into intensifying the hunt.

I used to get everything I applied for - until I had the baby. Then I got two rejections that were really difficult for me because I was perfect for both positions, and in fact, grossly overqualified. Both times the waiting seemed endless.

There's always a silver lining though. I eventually landed a good position that totally supports me in being a mom. In fact they agreed to hire me for only 1 day per week until I find a sitter for the second day!

If it's any consolation, men with with kid(s) tend to be viewed more favorably in hiring because they are considered more committed to making money and are less likely to leave abruptly because they are supporting a family.

Just keep looking. Just because this job seems like a good fit doesn't mean there isn't a better one out there. And being willing to relocate helps things immensely too.

Keep the faith!

User Tag List