Pumping on campus? What kind of bag did you use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the process of transitioning from being a full-time employee to a full-time student and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. I'm having a very difficult time, emotionally, with the process but that deserves it's own post.

Anyway, I currently have a PISA (circa 2005) and have just been using the bag that it came with. The university has lactation rooms, but not all have pumps in them, so I'm going to need to take my own. But now that I'll be on campus 2 full days a week, I'm going to need to find a way to carry not only my pump and bottles and accessories, but all my books and laptop too.

Would it be too cumbersome to put everything in a big backpack? I dread having to dig all my parts out each time I need to pump, but at the same time there's no way I'll be able to manage 2 bags walking around campus.

So fellow students, what's your solution? Thanks!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#2 of 5 Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

I have taken two bags around campus before - one of those messenger bags that sits low on your back, has buckles to buckle around your waist, and a diagonal shoulder strap. And then a smaller, lightweight backpack, work traditionally. I was able to carry everything securely, even bike with them on, it was easy to get in and out of, and I could keep everything separate.

HTH!!
#3 of 5 Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 PM

One thing to check into is whether the library or some other building has lockers that students can use. If they do, and if it's convenient to where you pump, you can always through in the PIS bag so you don't have to lug it around.

I always carried 2 bags, a backpack with my books and the PIS bag (which I referred to as the "PITA" bag).
#4 of 5 Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Yes I would see if you can keep the bag in a locker or a car. Even if you are part of a small dept, you may be able to keep in in the main office.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#5 of 5 Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips! I might be able to find a locker and that's something I hadn't thought of! I'm hoping to be able to use one of the lactation rooms that already has a pump, so all I would need to tote around is bottles and parts, but I won't know for sure until after the semester starts.

It's a huge university (and large department) and I'll be taking a bus to campus, so I won't have the option of leaving anything in my car or in someone's office.

But now that I know that many of you take two bags, I'll see what I can do. I have tons of bags at home (I'm somewhat of a collector, LOL), so I guess I'll just experiment and see what works.

Thanks for all your input!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page