I need some advice about daycare... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-21-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am working mom, and my dd has been in a home day care since she was eight weeks old. When I was pregnant, I put my daughter on a waiting list for a good daycare/preschool. So, now the school has called me and has a slot open in two weeks. The only problem is what to do about my current day care situation. My dd loves this lady, and I know this lady loves my dd. I do have some issues with her though. She does have two children of her own, one of which is one of the daycare children. She lets the kids play with balloons, which I am uncomfortable with. She also has a wading pool on her deck, which I am very uncomfortable with. My dd just started crawling last month, and I worry about her crawling outside and falling in the pool. Of course, there is the regular nuisances of not cleaning dd's nose, and my dd getting into things she shouldn't be into. I know there will be nuisances at the daycare, but I do seem to think that maybe it is a safer enviroment, and I won't be so worried all the time. So, with that being said, should I move my dd to this new daycare facility? I mean, my daughter has one provider now, compared to five providers at the daycare. There are four children now (two toddlers and two babies) compared to nine babies in the daycare. I am also concerned about my dd's education. Is the daycare really better for education compared to being in a home daycare and playing with toys? I'm sorry this is so long. I have a difficult decision to make, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM

If you worry about her at all during the day, I would move her.

I personally don't think centers are better than homecare, but your peace of mind is worth a lot. If you feel more comfortable with the center, I would move her.

You can always go observe and see what kind of feeling you get.
#3 of 3 Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM

These are just my thoughts. One of the painful things is that you have to decide yourself right? Anyway.

FOR ME, safety trumps most other things. If I felt both environments were equally good, the safer one would always win for me. I think this is because I have lost a child (not in a safety situation) and that's just my bottom line all the time.

(Not abuse, of course, or an environment totally at odds with my son's personality. So let's just assume that each environment has caregivers that are fine.)

However, the two examples you gave are not necessarily dealbreakers for me. Balloons can be unsafe, but I think supervised they are okay. (Not great. Okay.) Wading pools concern me quite a bit especially when the lungs are so small, but again, the critical piece is 100% supervision.

I've said on the forum that for me, safety-wise the home daycare (and there are great ones, I am just talking about my personal path about it) was the nightmare for me because I have to trust one fallible human being to be 'on' all the time, plus the space is multi-purpose where a daycare is generally (not always) designed for the purpose of daytime children activities only.

In evaluating the centre I would look at staff hiring and training, turnover, and education, as well as physical space, ratios, procedures, philosophy, and food.

As far as education goes... despite having my son in a Montessori we love, I pretty much believe that if there are toys, caring adults, and other kids (or even not) that a child's educational needs can be met pretty much anywhere. That would not be a big deal to me before the age of maybe 4.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page