TEFL, online? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone have a TEFL certificate? can anyone tell me if the online diplomas are just as good? i don´t have the money to take the course...the online courses are alot cheaper!
thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM

What is TEFL? bumping.....
#3 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).

I have a TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), which I received in conjunction with my BA in Applied Linguistics. I have taught ESL overseas for 4+ years.

What do you want to do with a TEFL? Teach overseas? There isn't too much demand for a TEFL in the US.

Dave's ESL Cafe is a great website with lots of info about ESL/EFL jobs and programs.
#4 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you!
i live in mexico and i would like to start teaching here...to get experience to get a job teaching somewhere else...maybe Canada

I´ve seen so many online courses but don´t know wich is better or more relyable.
thanks!
#5 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 AM

I don't think any online certificate is very reliable, to be honest. If you want a short course kind of certificate, the most popular one is probably the RSA/Cambridge CELTA or Trinity course. With those courses, you'll do practice teaching that is observed and evaluated and I think it's essential. Or do a course at a university or college.
There are plenty of "fly-by-night" schools out there that will take native English speakers with no experience or certificate, but I wouldn't recommend them.
#6 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 02:53 AM

If you're already in Mexico, start contacting schools you'd be interested in teaching at, and ask what they require/recommend. I've taught overseas, and I currently teach in the U.S. (and I disagree with the previous poster, there is demand where I live). What you "need" to be qualified varies a great deal from place to place - some countries, if you have white skin and a pulse you're in, other places will want a bachelor's, and others a bachelor's plus a certificate of some kind.
#7 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingmom View Post
I don't think any online certificate is very reliable, to be honest. If you want a short course kind of certificate, the most popular one is probably the RSA/Cambridge CELTA or Trinity course. With those courses, you'll do practice teaching that is observed and evaluated and I think it's essential. Or do a course at a university or college.
There are plenty of "fly-by-night" schools out there that will take native English speakers with no experience or certificate, but I wouldn't recommend them.
: Especially the bolded part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
(and I disagree with the previous poster, there is demand where I live).
I didn't say there wasn't any demand... just not "too much" demand for someone with a TEFL certificate in a native English speaking country.

If you want to teach adults and/or children in an informal setting or through a social service agency (particularly a non-profit), then honestly, all you need is to be a native speaker. That is how I started down the road. Unforuntately, many (but not all) of those positions pay little and have little to no benefits. AND... often times you will spend a lot of time developing and/or buying your own curriculum. It is a lot of work, but totally fulfilling if it is something you enjoy doing.

If you teach English in a native English speaking country, you are not teaching English as a foreign language... you are teaching it as a second language. ESL and EFL, in regards to pedagogy and practice, are very different.
#8 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

most schools, the ones that pay well, require you have the TEFL.
i agree that GOING to school to study is alot better than online, but i don´t have the money nor the time! so i keep looking for an online school!!!!!
#9 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM

Make sure you get something with actual teaching experience. You might do fine in Mexico with just about anything if you're there and willing to start (that's what friends have told me about teaching in Asia, anyway) but it you want to teach in Canada you'll need a Bachelors and TESL/TEFL from a respectable school + teaching experience. Most decent schools here are certified by CAPPLS (maybe there's just one P) and they have standards for teachers they hire.

Also consider that while you might make a comfortable living teaching ESL in Mexico, you will almost certainly not make a comfortable living teaching ESL in Canada. I taught at a school here in Vancouver and it was tough to make ends meet. Also there's virtually no job security. When the summer rush is over, the jobs disappear and teachers are laid off with almost no warning.

I loved teaching ESL for a little while here. I met great people and got great teaching experience. It helped me get into teaching college and it sets me apart now that I'm teaching elementary school. It can be a great job here, but it's very difficult (though not impossible) to make it a career.
#10 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much!
canada is my goal but i obviously need to start here...although mexico isn´t "my place"...it´s not easy living in a city with 20 million people more!! thinking of Santiago de Chile...

anyway, thanks ALOT for the information! i´ll look into the CAPLS.
i´m also thinking about eventually going into kinder or elementary schools.
Maybe spanish classes?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page