Crunchy Nurses '08 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 217 Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh wow, I'm so glad to have found this thread!

I'm currently in banking. I never really meant to get into this career... just sort of stumbled into in because back in college, it was a great summer/part-time job. It was air conditioned and had good hours! But I never really expected to work forever -- I *thought* I'd be a SAHM. You know what they say though -- Man plans and God laughs.

I'm now a single, working mama planning to go back to school. There's an accelerated pathway program for students who already hold a bachelors in another field. I'll be able to get a BSN and continue on to a master's program to become a CNM. I'm hugely passionate about women's health so this is extremely exciting. I can actually see myself getting involved in public health or academia at some point but I'm trying not to put the proverbial cart before the horse.

I really don't have the foggiest idea how I'll manage to keep a roof over our heads while going to school. I'm going to an info session in a few weeks and hopefully they'll have some suggestions. I have a strong undergrad GPA and strong GRE scores and I'm determined as hell though, so I'm optimistic that it'll fall into place somehow.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#122 of 217 Old 03-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Re: where to get contact hours/CEUs:

I've been going to Western Schools (www.westernschools.com) for the last few years. Lots of CEUs for relatively not a lot of money (i.e., 30-40 credits for under $75). I keep up my CEN (100 CEUs per round) and other certifications which require dozens of contact hours, so going that route has been good for me. They also have a lot of at-home courses which include the price of an actual textbook out of the course fee (i.e., I just did the "Case Studies in Critical Care Nursing" course which included a good text that I am going to use to study for CCRN).

I had a coupon for 10% off my next order. The code is #NG91A and it expires 4/30/09, if you are interested. It was a pre-printed coupon, so I imagine it's good for all of us.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#123 of 217 Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Bump.

Everyone doing okay? Still have jobs? No layoffs?

Things are looking okay at my facility, though we are on a hiring freeze. Recently we lost several housekeepers, and keeping the place clean has been an issue. I hope they either redistribute people to housekeeping or hire new people!!!
#124 of 217 Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM

I'm a nurse. I don't know how crunchy I am but probably much crunchier than most I work with. I've work in NICU for 4 years now. When I was pregnant with DD I planned a home birth and the looks I got, you would have thought I had 2 heads. As it turned out she was born in hospital, but I hope for a homebirth this time around. I also breastfed til 17 months and even had our apparent breastfeeding expert tell me they didn't need breastmilk after a year and that there was no point.
I do struggle a bit when advising mamas about breastfeeding as other people come along and undo all the work you have done.
#125 of 217 Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
Bump.

Things are looking okay at my facility, though we are on a hiring freeze. Recently we lost several housekeepers, and keeping the place clean has been an issue. I hope they either redistribute people to housekeeping or hire new people!!!
My facility (small, community hospital) has promised not to lay anyone off for 2009. No hiring freeze as of yet. However, the CEO has been very upfront over no raises for *anyone* for '09, no more company matching for the 403b, cutting way back on employee bonuses and incentives (which they were probably much more generous about than many other hospitals, anyway).

We're all a bit sad over the no-raise thing, but the general feeling is that we are all very, very appreciative just to have secure-for-now jobs in this economy. Especially with knowing that some nearby hospitals are already planning to cut back on nurses...

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#126 of 217 Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Hi! I am a NICU nurse , ttc baby #1 and new to the forum world. I think I am slightly crunchy and hoping to become a bit more. Any advice?
#127 of 217 Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post

I've been going to Western Schools (www.westernschools.com) for the last few years. Lots of CEUs for relatively not a lot of money (i.e., 30-40 credits for under $75). I keep up my CEN (100 CEUs per round) and other certifications which require dozens of contact hours, so going that route has been good for me. They also have a lot of at-home courses which include the price of an actual textbook out of the course fee (i.e., I just did the "Case Studies in Critical Care Nursing" course which included a good text that I am going to use to study for CCRN).

I had a coupon for 10% off my next order. The code is #NG91A and it expires 4/30/09, if you are interested. It was a pre-printed coupon, so I imagine it's good for all of us.
Thanks!

As for the question about lay offs. I'm not working right now, but my DH works at the hospital (not as a nurse). There is a hiring freeze, they laid off a few administrative type of positions and also many of the asst nurse mgrs. He said the last round 300 employees were let go. No raises this yr, b/c ppl complained about the increase of insurance, so instead the hospital decided not to do any raises and not increase insurance prices. My brother's a PM&R physician and works for a big ortho group. He says that surgery #'s are down (ironically, my DH works in open heart surgery and their #'s are up), so it's been slow for them lately. He said he heard that plastic surgeons are really struggling right now and have been looking to do flaps (for breast cancer) pts, b/c they are so desperate, BUT they don't really get that much from insurance companies for doing flaps (which is a really long surgery). So, the economy has really hit healthcare pretty bad too. I know agency/travel nurses who have been let go too and have to been scrambling to find something.
#128 of 217 Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Bump.

Hiring freezes all around my city : Im graduating in 2 weeks, and the majority of my class is having a hard time finding positions. I interviewed at a hospital 60 miles away yesterday, and feeling like that may be my only option GN positions are hard to come by across the country I've been hearing...
#129 of 217 Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post

This is where I have gotten just about all my CEU's my entire nursing career.. I am very pleased with them!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#130 of 217 Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM

Glad I found this thread. I'm still taking pre-reqs but will hopefully start nursing school (ADN) Fall 2010. I'm in taking a CNA class this semester. We are finishing up the clinical part next week. I'm not sure what area of nursing I want to work in. There is an awesome birth center where I live. I don't think I could work in L&D at a hospital.
#131 of 217 Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Hi Chandi!! Glad you found this thread!

Yes, we definitely want you at the birth center when you're done with school!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#132 of 217 Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi mamas! I'm an RN student (just finishing up 1st year) who hopes to become a Certified Nurse Midwife someday and has a lot of questions about which path to take. I tried reading through this whole thread but have not found the time (I also happen to be a single, working mama on top of being in Nursing school ) so I apologize if this I'm being repetitive. Anyway, currently I'm getting my Associates in Nursing but plan on continue schooling to become a Certified Nursing Midwife. So, since I need my BN in order to get apply to a Midwifery program do I go the Associates of Nursing to Bachelors of Nursing to Midwifery program? Or is there a way I can get into a Midwifery program with just my Associates? I'm so confused! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love and Peace to you all.
:
#133 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriemama View Post
Hi mamas! I'm an RN student (just finishing up 1st year) who hopes to become a Certified Nurse Midwife someday and has a lot of questions about which path to take. I tried reading through this whole thread but have not found the time (I also happen to be a single, working mama on top of being in Nursing school ) so I apologize if this I'm being repetitive. Anyway, currently I'm getting my Associates in Nursing but plan on continue schooling to become a Certified Nursing Midwife. So, since I need my BN in order to get apply to a Midwifery program do I go the Associates of Nursing to Bachelors of Nursing to Midwifery program? Or is there a way I can get into a Midwifery program with just my Associates? I'm so confused! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:
Hi! I am no help, but I just wanted to say hi and tell you that the path you have listed is most likely the exact way that I am planning to get my CNM. I am trying to find all my options for the CNM and to see if there is a way that I can at least do my core classes online.. Best of luck!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#134 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriemama View Post
So, since I need my BN in order to get apply to a Midwifery program do I go the Associates of Nursing to Bachelors of Nursing to Midwifery program? Or is there a way I can get into a Midwifery program with just my Associates? I'm so confused! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:
Welcome to this thread, mama!! You actually don't need your BSN to get into a midwifery program. I am an ADN-trained nurse and am currently 1 year out from graduating with my MSN in midwifery. I did the RN-MSN Bridge program at Frontier, which was 1 year of BSN level coursework. I am so glad I went with Frontier instead of doing a RN-to-BSN program at a state university...it saved me 2 years of doing prerequisite work.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#135 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM

hi ashley

i just got my acceptance letter to the nursing program at AB-Tech in today's mail

how are you?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#136 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN-Mommy View Post
Hiring freezes all around my city : Im graduating in 2 weeks, and the majority of my class is having a hard time finding positions. I interviewed at a hospital 60 miles away yesterday, and feeling like that may be my only option GN positions are hard to come by across the country I've been hearing...
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! I have one year left until I graduate and I just can't WAIT !! :

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#137 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Welcome to this thread, mama!! You actually don't need your BSN to get into a midwifery program. I am an ADN-trained nurse and am currently 1 year out from graduating with my MSN in midwifery. I did the RN-MSN Bridge program at Frontier, which was 1 year of BSN level coursework. I am so glad I went with Frontier instead of doing a RN-to-BSN program at a state university...it saved me 2 years of doing prerequisite work.
I'd love to pick your brain sometime about the Frontier program..

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#138 of 217 Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM

yep-I'm a crunchy NICU nurse if you can believe it. Basically, I have to ignore what went on in L and D and just try to support breastfeeding, AP and all the other crunchy goodness. I'm a doula also-so all the nurses who have "crazy hippie" friends get free consultations and bibliography (Ina Mae, Henci Goer) I love smelly, dreadlocked parents!
#139 of 217 Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 AM

i seriously thought i was the only nurse in the history of nursing that takes a natural approach to life.
my co-workers call me "the all-natural girl" or "eco-friendly girl" or sometimes "health-nut". the last one amuses me, because i'm not sure where it comes from. maybe because i eat a lot of yogurt and granola for lunch.
they all told me i was crazy when i told them i was going to give birth with no epidural. and when they found out i'm using cloth diapers, they really thought i'd gone off the deep end. someone actually said to me the other day, "you seem like the type of mom that holds her baby. do you hold your baby all the time?"
one thing i have noticed, though, among my nurse friends, is that no matter where they stand on the "natural minded" spectrum, there are an awful lot of nurses that don't like to take medicine. i find that interesting.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#140 of 217 Old 04-30-2009, 12:24 PM

At our smallish hospital, we have several nurses and a pharmacist who have had birth center/home births. One of the nurses I work closely with is starting her CPM work, and wants to open up a birth center with a local homebirthing CNM and another CPM.

I worked on the Mother/baby floor for a while, and they are of course not at all supportive of anything like that; but elsewhere in the hospital, the staff is more open.

I agree, while I see a lot of nurses on sleeping aides and antidepressants (I work nights...), I do think the general trend is the nurses that I work with seem reluctant to take medications, especially antibiotics. We also have several nurses whom I wouldn't describe at all as crunchy--and they certainly wouldn't describe themselves as such--but they homeschool, or they grow a big garden, they make/knit a lot of their clothes, their kids are in non-mainstream activities, that sort of thing.

I think as nurses we see that alternative treatments work--or we see that sometimes western medicine doesn't. We see how much control the patient has--you know, someone who is on a bajillion meds for their heart, blood pressure, kidneys and diabetes, but they eat a high fat, high calorie, high sodium diet on a daily basis, and don't get any exercise at all. Or we see how much a warm pack, positioning, a quiet soothing environment, and massage helps back pain. That sort of thing. We see the mind-body connection, and we see how all the great pills in the world won't help someone who cannot or does not want to help themselves. I think nurses, especially nurses who work with the general population, are naturally inclined to be a little crunchy or have a crunchy view of healthcare, even if they wouldn't describe themselves in such a manner.
#141 of 217 Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Hi, I am Maggie, but my nurse friends at work call me 'Mother Earth' ! ROFL. I think it is funny. I don't care for L&D, my love is the elderly. I believe I think of hospice the way some of you think of birth. It sounds so funny and hard to explain....

Kids calling....
Maggie
#142 of 217 Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm glad to see more *crunchy* NICU nurses. I work with quite a few. I've found that I'm quite able to balance my crunchy self with my medical self in the NICU.
No if I could just get everyone to stop circ'ing their boys!!!
#143 of 217 Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of figuring out Nursing programs and prereqs. There are two programs near my home, one is RN and other is BSN. I spoke with an adviser at the university and she recommended that I apply for the Accelerated BSN program. It's a highly intensive 1 year nursing degree for students that hold a degree in another field.

I have to take the following prereqs
A&P 1 and 2 + labs
Chem 1 +lab
Microbiology +lab
Statistics
Nutrition
Intro to Psych
Algebra
Intro to Health Sciences

If I apply for next year fall 2010 then I would have to have all of these prereqs done by May 2010. I can't decide if I should try to accomplish this so I can start by Fall 2010 or if I should give it another year and take it slower. I have been a sahm for the last two years and my son hasn't been in any daycare situations so I'm kind of nervous about overdoing it.

The positive of finishing prereqs is that I would be able to finish my nursing degree in two years instead of three.

The other thing is that I am probably going through a divorce soon. We haven't separated yet but I definitely see it happening in the next year or so.

So, lay it on me. Am I crazy to try and do 9 classes(mostly sciences) by May 2010

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#144 of 217 Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post
I believe I think of hospice the way some of you think of birth. It sounds so funny and hard to explain....

Maggie
I know exactly what you mean.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#145 of 217 Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow! I am impressed to see this thread. Maybe it is my chosen specialty or the area in which I live, but I seem to be the only crunchy nurse where I work. I was so sad when we had a non-circ'd pt last fall. To not only hear all of the other nurses talking about how "gross" it was, but to find out that they had retracted this three month-old!!! EEK

I brought up lots of info and printed it off for all of my coworkers!

Mommy to Kait 1/1999 and expecting another awesome small person with my amazing husband joy.gif
#146 of 217 Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 AM

I posted much earlier in the thread when it first started up - but I wanted to say... I just graduated!!! :

Yep, finished it all up! My actual convocation is at the end of the month, but my grades are in, done, ta-da. I've got my BScN and I write my registration for my RN in June.

So, hang in there everyone, it is soooo worth it to get that little piece of paper!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#147 of 217 Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 PM

gummy--

What's your financial situation going to be like? Will you have to work? How are you going to arrange childcare?

I would think that you would have to treat nine mostly heavy classes in one academic year like a full time job that occasionally required overtime. I'd also like to point out that lab classes may only count for 1-2 hours of credit, but require 3-5 hours a week in the classroom. For example, my micro lab counted as 2 hours credit, but the lab was scheduled 2.5 hours on Tues and Thurs, for a total of 5 hours a week.

I won't say that it can't be done--but if you are going from a SAHM to a single mom AND school fulltime in a very academically challenging situation--you better have your ducks in a row. You will have to be very organized, you won't be able to miss much class, and so you will need childcare not only for while you are in class, but probably also for some study time.

You will also need childcare for when your kid is sick--nursing school in particular will not allow you to miss much class. Every clinical we missed had to be made up. If we missed more than one week of clinicals, we were kicked out of the program. They are required by the state to have a certain amount of clinical time. If you don't attend that, then you haven't met the state requirements to sit for your boards, so they have to kick you out. If you are the only care giver for your kid, and you don't have "sick" daycare lined up, you are screwed.

So if you want to try it--go for it. But get yourself together before hand. Know who is your back up (or back ups) for day care, know how you are going to fund this, and get in the mindset that, yes, it will suck for a while, but only for a while. There is an end in sight, and then you will have a great job and a good income.

Good luck.
#148 of 217 Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Congrats, Ceinwen. Good luck on boards! Do you have a job lined up yet?
#149 of 217 Old 05-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Congrats, Ceinwen. Good luck on boards! Do you have a job lined up yet?
Thanks! I do actually have a job - it's only guaranteed for 6.5 months (it's called the New Grad Initiative, done by the Ontario govn't). Basically I get full time work for the six months, but I'm paired with an RN. I share her workload as a supernumerary (sp?) and get the same pay & benefits.

At the end of the six months, they can offer me a full time job if there's one available - but there has to be at least a part time job available for me. I did my pregrad in the ICU and it really wasn't to my liking. I found the shift work as a single parent to be too intense and difficult to manage.

Soooo, I found this position at a long term care facility. Basically it's a management position, and I have some concerns over losing nursing skills, but with two little ones at home this job offers a Mon - Fri/7 - 3 schedule and I grabbed it right away.

I'm not sure how much I should be studying for the boards. I have friends from last year who started work right away and didn't study at all... and friends who chose not to work and studied 4-6 hours a day for the whole month prior.

Everyone passed. So who knows? I have a 3.8 average, so I'm not terrified, but I know I'll definitely be doing some review.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#150 of 217 Old 05-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of figuring out Nursing programs and prereqs. There are two programs near my home, one is RN and other is BSN. I spoke with an adviser at the university and she recommended that I apply for the Accelerated BSN program. It's a highly intensive 1 year nursing degree for students that hold a degree in another field.

So, lay it on me. Am I crazy to try and do 9 classes(mostly sciences) by May 2010
Hi Goody!
I am currently in the middle of an Accelerated BSN program. My program is 16 months long and I'll be finished in December. So, if you have any questions about it, please ask away! First, I wanted to clear up something. This might be a typo, but you said that one program near you was an RN and one was a BSN. They are not separate things. Perhaps you meant ADN (an associate's degree) and a BSN? But, an associate's degree prepared nurse and a bachelor's degree prepared nurse are both RNs. We take the same licensing exam and everything. At the end of my program, I'll be an RN, BSN. A person with an associate's will be a RN, ADN. Both registered nurses.

Now, on to talking about Accelerated BSN programs...I'll tell you that it is pretty intense. Those 9 mostly science prereq courses that you need to do in the next year will be probably less hectic than the ABSN schedule once you start it.

A semester for us is 8 weeks long. The accelerated part means that we squish 2 semesters into one. On one day this semester, I am in class from 8 in the morning til 1 pm, and then at the hospital from 2:30 til 10 pm. That is not the usual, but it can happen and you have to be prepared for long hours of both class, hospital time, and studying.

And, as a previous poster mentioned, if you do start the ABSN, you will need very reliable childcare and childcare that will take your kid even when he/she is ill. With our program, there is a $50 charge if you miss ONE clinical day a semester. No matter the reason. If you miss a second clinical day, it is $150, if you miss a third, you are out. And, the problem is, with the ABSN program, it is hard to even schedule a make up day because the schedule is so packed.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. An accelerated program can be a great way to get your BSN. And, many parents make it work. I don't have kids yet, and I am in awe of my fellow students who do have kids. There are only a few of them and I would bend over backwards to help them out because I admire what they are doing so much.

I would recommend that you ask to speak to a current ABSN student at your school so you can get a true picture of their schedule to see if you can make it work.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have more questions!

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page