Crunchy Nurses '08 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 217 Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, now that finals have passed and we've received our final grades (so thrilled with my B+!! )
-- I can officially say that I've passed and will be a 'senior' this year So happy to have one year left.
I can only pray that it will fly by!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 217 Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 AM

What a timely thread for me to find! You ladies are a wealth of info.

Anybody have opinions or info on CT schools for nursing? I have a BA in Sociology and have worked in human services/counseling for 9 years. I thought years back I would go to school for MSW but not what I want. I also thought RN and then I get scared of my views on natural living vs the medical fields I encounter. I think I would enjoy psych nursing or community vna services.

Anyway - looking for firsthand crunchy nurse experiences at a CT school.
#183 of 217 Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom0730 View Post
I am a peds RN and again, crunchier than most. Did anyone get funny looks when mentioning thoughts on a homebirth? I've found many nurses here seem almost opposed to the idea, it shocked me!

I'm an OB RN and I my second child was a homebirth. I received many strange looks and raised eyebrows when it was found out (at work) that I'd be having a homebirth. But several other L&D nurses there had birthing center births w/ mw's and one of my fellow nurse's DIL had a homebirth. Plenty of us have seen the problem with so many interventions and opt for a more natural approach. Personally, there is no way I'd birth in a hospital again unless it was medically necessary.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#184 of 217 Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM

How does breastfeeding and pumping work when you work 8 hr shifts?
#185 of 217 Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destany08 View Post
I worked 12's when I was in my breastfeeding days. I pumped twice a shift (not enough but that's all I had time for!) and my babes would breastfeed all night long. Pumping was easy. I work in a NICU so I'd just pump with the other moms in the pumping room.

Fortunately, my supply survived. My oldest breastfed until 11 months. My youngest just weaned at 3. She never took a bottle anyway.

I did have the luxury of 6 month mat. leaves with both girls so our breastfeeding relationship was well established.

I would've loved to work 8's when my girls were babies!
#186 of 217 Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 PM

How do you breastfeed? Your hospital allows you to take breaks?? Or do you break up lunch?? I plan on working in maternity so I dont know how that would work........
#187 of 217 Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 PM

What do you mean "allows"? Isn't it a law?

We receive two 15 minute and one 30 minute break per 12 hour shift. Do I ever take this? No. I eat at the desk, I never leave the floor. My choice. Did I feel bad taking a bit longer when I was breastfeeding? No, especially since I don't take breaks otherwise.

You should have a certain number of breaks per shift. Whether you take them or not is your can of beans. But don't feel bad, ever, about taking allowed breaks.
#188 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 AM

Oh wow, Ill have to talk to my local hospital about breaks. So you get an hour total, that's nice. I just didn't know if they cared whether or not their employees breastfeed. Where would you go? Out to the car?
#189 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

I didn't breastfeed during work unless someone brought baby to me (which was rare, I worked 30 minutes from home) But when I did, I'd go in the breakroom or the classroom.

My youngest would make up for lost time and breastfeed all night long. Didn't sleep much during those days. Ended up in the ED with a massive migraine. But that's a long story.....

I ended up going per-diem 6 months after my 2nd was born.
#190 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM

I didn't have a pump, just attachments, so I just went up to OB on my breaks and used a spare pump. DH brought dd up on my lunch to nurse. Once she was 8-9 months old, I didn't have to pump; the lunch break would do it for me.

Many of our nurses just sit in a spare room and pump, or in the break room. Several of us who have had kids make certain that our floor is a breastfeeding friendly place, and we try to go out of our way to cover for a pumping mom.
#191 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Oh wow Lorijds, that's amazing!! Does each floor of your hospital have a breakroom?? A spare room meaning a patients room which is unoccupied? That's nice that the nurses go out of their way to cover for a pumping mom. I hope my hospital has this kind of system!
#192 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm currently fighting for space to pump at work. There's not even a pumiping room in our NICU-moms have to just sit next to the isolettes and pump. I'm complaining to every manager I can corner and have emailed the DON. In a facility that's probably 85% women of childbearing age..... grrrr. There's rumors that they're going to try for baby-friendly status, and I've worked that into my arguments too. The LC's have offered me their office, so I have that, but it's on the 3rd floor, and I usually work 2nd or 4th floor. I've used an empty room in the ICU the last couple shifts I've worked. (The nurses over there are the most helpful and friendly about pumping. Someone always has a story about their pumping/bfing experiences, compared to the blank looks I get on the other floors.)

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#193 of 217 Old 05-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Oh wow Lorijds, that's amazing!! Does each floor of your hospital have a breakroom?? A spare room meaning a patients room which is unoccupied? That's nice that the nurses go out of their way to cover for a pumping mom. I hope my hospital has this kind of system!
Each unit has it's own break room. It has lockers for our personal items, a fridge for our food, our mailboxes, some tables and chairs, and a microwave. It's not private (anyone can walk in), but you could put a sign up saying something like "warning, pumping in progress". It wouldn't stop anyone from walking in (you can't impede access to the locker room) but at least it would give them a head's up.

A spare room meaning an unoccupied patient room.

This isn't a formal system. It's a couple of nurses deciding to facilitate a breastfeeding friendly place. You would be amazed--it takes just one nurse willing to enthusiastically cover a breastfeeding mom's patients. No one begrudges a baby her food. People who have never breastfed just often don't realize the psychological and physiological processes involved when you *NEED* to pump. If one or two nurses acknowledge this and encourage a new mom to pump whenever she needs to, it's infectious. Everyone else realizes it, too.
#194 of 217 Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Ok, I remember a break room on the maternity floor of our hospital. All the nurses went there forlunch or to do charting.
#195 of 217 Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Add me to the list. I'm a RN who just left long term care to do public health nursing. I LOVE PH and I actually get my breaks . I work for the gov't so I get all the lovely holidays off.... the benefits aren't too bad either
#196 of 217 Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
Add me to the list. I'm a RN who just left long term care to do public health nursing. I LOVE PH and I actually get my breaks . I work for the gov't so I get all the lovely holidays off.... the benefits aren't too bad either
Welcome!

Oh that sounds like a nice job I'm interested in PH as well in a couple of years. I have a great, laid back psych job though that is awesome, I can't complain!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#197 of 217 Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 AM

I was just accepted into the nursing program, found out yesterday ::: I would love to work in maternity! That would be my dream job. Do you have to earn that? I was wondering if hospitals have waiting lists for certain departments?? What is public health, like the Health Department??
#198 of 217 Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I worked 12s and pumped on my way to work, on my lunch and then again on my break.. It worked out pretty well, and my milk supply didn't suffer at all. I would just pump in our breakroom at lunch and break.. I would just put the pump attachment up under my scrubs, I didn't care and my coworkers never said a word.. and it was a pretty busy floor..

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#199 of 217 Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I was just accepted into the nursing program, found out yesterday :::
congrats!! i was accepted this year, too! i am on a mission of finding live-in childcare-- trading rent for a couple hours a week of helping with driving ds to/from school, so i can do clinicals. having a roommate is plan B, cause we are both very quiet and alone-kind of people, but i can't pay someone, so this is the best plan i can come up with.

i don't know where i will end up. pretty sure maternity isn't it. maybe elder care, or school nurse; i would love to do private duty, or travel someday!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#200 of 217 Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Congrats to you both! I didn't get in to the LPN-RN program where I applied. On to the next program!

#201 of 217 Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM

I just found that I was accepted for the evening nursing program, starting this fall.
This is the first step on the road to midwifery for me.
I'm really excited.
#202 of 217 Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
Congrats to you both! I didn't get in to the LPN-RN program where I applied. On to the next program!
you'll make it. this was my 3rd time around. of course the 1st was 11 years ago...but last year i was 31 on the alternate list for LPN. then i boned up on math and really spiked my grade on the accuplacer, and also took 4 classes that were prereqs and got all A's-- so i made it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Luna View Post
I just found that I was accepted for the evening nursing program, starting this fall.
This is the first step on the road to midwifery for me.
I'm really excited.
i can choose evening or day, when it's time to register. hopefully i'm in the beginning of the registration process, so i get my choice!
congrats! where in NC are you? i'm in Asheville.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#203 of 217 Old 06-06-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha View Post
You used to be near me; I don't know if you still are or not. What program did you apply to? I ended up doing Pratt CC online. A lot of work, but worth it. At the time there weren't any online programs in the state. Since then, Neosho CCC has started one, too. A couple of nurses I work with went there and were satisfied.

I'm currently doing my RN-BSN through Fort Hays. I'm not terribly impressed, but I'm so cynical, particularly about the theory and managerial aspects of a BSN curriculum, that I'm not sure it's POSSIBLE to impress me.

Keep at it; good luck! Respond or PM me if you want to discuss NE Kansas LPN to RN completion programs!

Lori
#204 of 217 Old 06-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
You used to be near me; I don't know if you still are or not. What program did you apply to? I ended up doing Pratt CC online. A lot of work, but worth it. At the time there weren't any online programs in the state. Since then, Neosho CCC has started one, too. A couple of nurses I work with went there and were satisfied.

I'm currently doing my RN-BSN through Fort Hays. I'm not terribly impressed, but I'm so cynical, particularly about the theory and managerial aspects of a BSN curriculum, that I'm not sure it's POSSIBLE to impress me.

Keep at it; good luck! Respond or PM me if you want to discuss NE Kansas LPN to RN completion programs!

Lori

Yup, still in the same area. I applied to JCCC; turns out they give preference to LPN's who went thru their program. So, despite very good ACT scores and GPA, I'll probably never get in there. Working on prereqs at KCK now-they have a spring start program. If I don't get in there, I'll try again (what the hell-doesn't hurt to try) at JCCC and KCK and check out Neosho's program. Hadn't heard of the Pratt one. Could you post or PM me links to that one and any other programs you know of? Thanks!

#205 of 217 Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
i can choose evening or day, when it's time to register. hopefully i'm in the beginning of the registration process, so i get my choice!
congrats! where in NC are you? i'm in Asheville.
Thanks! I'm in the Triangle area, but my school is in the Triad. It's the only evening program that is close enough to drive to, so I'm really happy I could get in. I'd prefer to do the day program, but need to keep my current job until I can get a job as a nurse.
#206 of 217 Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM

I am currently a SAHM and loving it. I have for a long time felt the calling to attend women in birth and possibly become a midwife. I am looking for some advice as to what route to take? I have a bachelor's degree in liberal arts (communications and philosophy). I have very little in the way of an extended support of people who could watch my baby (nine months old) while I would be in school or attending births.

There is a local soon-to-be retiring doula in my community who is wanting to train someone to continue the work that she has been doing for over 20 years. What are some ideas you might have for how I could commit to this logistically, hours attending birth. My husband can watch baby at night--but practically he will need sleep for work the next day. DS gets through the nights with one or two nursings a night, but he always goes to sleep with the breast.

Is this even possible with little ones? It would be something I would love to do, but I am torn on the issue of leaving my baby....Bring on the suggestions, ideas and support!
#207 of 217 Old 07-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Monkaha, definitely check out Neosho's online LPN to RN program.

Here's at link to Pratt's program:

http://www.pcc.cc.ks.us/programs/nur.../lpn_rn_online

Other than those two, I don't know any more than you do, it sounds like.

Good luck!

And you know about Edukan.org for your prereqs, right? Totally online, out of a couple of community colleges in Ks. Cheap and flexible.

Lori
#208 of 217 Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 AM

Hi all. I've been home for over 10 yrs now with my babes and am thinking about going to get my Associates. I'm pretty nervous but am thinking about what it would offer my family and feeling fairly good about it.

I plan to go visit campuses soon, but I have the option of going to the local comm. college. (seems there is a waiting list of sorts....lots of hoops to jump thru too) and that my BA in Literature from almost *gulp* 15 yrs ago wouldn't count. I don't mind retaking the bio stuff but really don't want to take like freshman composition again or psych 100 : anyway.

There is also the option of colleges here like Apollo college, ITT tech, Pima (and the big university here, but they only offer BSN)....it looks more simple and I am assuming more expensive

I am wondering if anyone has an idea on the difference it would make tuition/fees-wise and also in other ways. I'm sure it varies somewhat from state to state but hoping someone has some input on the comm. college route vs. the private institute thing.

thanks to all the lovely women here too. It helped me a lot to process what this decision might mean for us/me.
#209 of 217 Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM

I have my BA in a completely unrelated field, and I didn't have to retake anything but my sciences (and even then, I didn't have to retake algebra or chemistry, just bio, micro, and A&P).

The community college will be much less expensive--probably 3x less expensive. CCs around her have tuition for between 70-100/hr. Most of the private institutes in the area charge 280-350/hr. Huge difference.

I went to a community college for my LPN and RN. I paid cash and graduated with no loans. I'm slowly getting my BSN, again paying cash. I have coworkers who have 40K or more in student loads--that's more than we owe on our house and car combined. I wouldn't want to start out in that hole unless I had absolutely no other option.
#210 of 217 Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 AM

Just wanted to jump in and say hello. I know I am very late to this thread, but am excited to see so many nurses on here.

I am a Peds RN and work part time nights. 40 hours in 2 weeks. It is just enough to keep me current in nursing and give me a break from almost full time mommy duty. I love pediatrics although it is so much harder now that I have a little one of my own.

Nice to meet everyone!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page