Crunchy Nurses '08 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 217 Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excited to see this thread!!!

Currently an ER nurse but have done ICU and maternal child home visiting as well. I'm leaving my job in a few weeks to work in a pediatric clinic. I'm excited about influencing pediatrics with my crunchy, evidence-based practice, lactation consultant ways!
#212 of 217 Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Hi fellow nurses and students! How is everyone? The last time I posted I was about to graduate. I've since passed boards last June, and have been working in behavioral health since October (yes it took me that long to find a position ). And behavioral health is probably last on my list of areas I'd like to be in, but its experience for now...
#213 of 217 Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM

I see it's been a long time since anyone posted here, but I thought I might try to revive the thread! I am a moderately crunchy RN, more so than anybody I work with, though. I am a geriatric nurse mostly because they are no other jobs available in my area. I am envious of all you nurses who get to work with moms and babies! I'm wondering if in the past year and a half since the last post if anyone has had to deal with layoffs, hospital downsizing, shift cuts, etc, and if you found another job or decided to try to stay home? My nursing home is having budget cuts and I'm worried about my position being cut. Part of me is hoping it happens so I could stay home and collect unemployment, but I'm also worried about being bored and restless at home after working for so many years. I think we could make it financially with some lifestyle changes, but we're trying to save money to move to Vermont, so I wouldn't want that to be derailed. As for nursing in general, has anyone else found that it's just not as fulfilling as you'd hoped it would be?
#214 of 217 Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Karenh, Where I work in Canada, I haven't felt the economic effects within the nursing field yet. There are cuts happening in the hospital, but the jobs being let go are support staff positions, such as housecleaning, maintenance and orderly positions. I don't think they would dare touch the nursing positions, the opposition from the public would be very strong. That doesn't mean I don't question the future, I certainly do. In general, I have to say I have become pretty dissatisfied with my career in nursing. In my current position, I receive a lot of verbal abuse on a weekly basis. I am still fairly new to the field of nursing (I'm going on my 4th year) and I have worked in 4 different areas, none of which has felt like the right fit for me. I have also found that the "Lifestyle" of a nurse, with evening, nights and weekends, crazy schedules, etc has become much more of a deterent then I thought it would be. I would just love a job like "normal" people have; go to work at "normal" hours, have my weekends off like my family and friends, and not have to keep my fingers crossed that I get christmas or other holidays off. In my experience, I found only one job that fit this bill, and it was a community health job, which I actually enjoyed very much. I worked casually for a short while, but because they could not offer me full-time, I had to move on and return to the hospital setting. There just aren't that many community nursing positions, and when people get in, they seem to stay until they retire! There is very little turn over, unlike in the hospitals.
So, I have decided to return to school and get my masters. I am hoping that this will provide me security for the future, as changes may happen to the nursing landscape. I will be specializing in community and public health. My hope is to land a job in the government or in the non profit sector in policy and research. I feel as though I have had my fill of front line nursing, and would like to work "behind the scenes". I am really passionate about public health, and my dream job would tie in my interest in maternal infant health, and allow me to be able to influence policy and public health programing within this area.
#215 of 217 Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM

I've thought about going back and getting my Master's degree, too, but worried that it would just be more of the same. I waitressed for years before going into nursing and thought my days of verbal abuse were behind me, but I was wrong! I'm tired of dealing with doctors who treat you like you're an idiot because you're "just a nurse"! I also feel like we don't get paid nearly enough for the amount of responsibility we have. Hopefully you get paid better in Canada than we do here. It seems like you have a better health system in general, so maybe you get more respect as a nurse. I work the PM shift, so get home at 11:30, plus working weekends, so I also feel like I am missing out on a lot of stuff that my kids are doing and would love to have "normal" hours. Maybe getting my Master's would help get me into an administrative position with day hours. Then again, around here it seems like you are more likely to get hired if you are less experienced and therefore cheaper to employ.
#216 of 217 Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM

v

#217 of 217 Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Another one that is seriously considering going back for her masters. I do community health nursing right now, my specialty is lactation which I adore. My position is part time which is ok for now but someday I will want more then that. I am sitting for my IBCLC this summer but I do not want to do the whole hospital IBCLC thing, I love working regular hours. Currently a good portion of my work is actually from home which is a dream job with young children. I just can not imagine returning to nights and weekends at this point. Since I am ok with working part time for years to come I keep thinking maybe I should use this time, get my masters, and then eventually when I want more maybe I can transition into a position with more hours in my health dept. they have so many other programs that I could work for and enjoy in addition to keeping my current position.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page