This will work, right? Feeding baby after going back to work. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
g&a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's september and DD#2 is 8 1/2 months old. I will go back to work November 1st and she will be just over 10 months old.

With DD #1 I went back to work when she was 11 months old and she got one bottle of formula at the dayhome and lots of solids and bfed when I was home.

So, I'm hoping to do the same with DD#2 - I really want to minimize the amount of formula she gets, but don't want to pump either. We went out tonight and left them with auntie. DD#2 wouldn't take the bottle. She screamed and screamed. Now, I'm not sure if she wasn't hungry because she'd had solids earlier and just missed mommy at bedtime, or if she just doesn't like bottles. She did take one for her daddy the other day, but has also refused them before, too. She hasn't had many at all yet, so who knows.

Is it reasonable to think that a 10 month old could go most of the day (11 hrs) without a bottle?? Maybe she'll take it eventually when she gets hungry enough? Anyone with kids that age comment on how much they eat vs. how much they drink? Anything I could do to make this easier?

I should add that I expect her to breastfeed lots and lots - before work, when I get home, before bed, through the night. I know I did it with her big sister, but this kid really knows what she wants, if you know what I mean.

thanks.
g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Many times they will do at day care what they won't do at home. My first two refused to take bottles---until they got to day care. Drove me nuts!! They were littler though. With an almost toddler I'm not sure. Since she is eating plenty, would there be any harm in her not taking a bottle there, as long as she was nursing plenty at home?

#3 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
Many times they will do at day care what they won't do at home. My first two refused to take bottles---until they got to day care. Drove me nuts!! They were littler though. With an almost toddler I'm not sure. Since she is eating plenty, would there be any harm in her not taking a bottle there, as long as she was nursing plenty at home?
Ya, no bottle would be my preference. She'll be almost a year old so....maybe? She's pretty voracious with her food. I guess I'm hoping that food alone will be enough for her. We're gone for 11 hours a day.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#4 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 PM

My almost 3yo started daycare at 10 months. I did send a couple bottles of formula but she almost never drank it. Like your dd, she loved food, so she was OK with that for the day, and ate what the dcp served for lunch and snacks, then nursed like crazy when we got home. She was only at daycare for just over 8 hours, but your dd should still be OK. Once she hit 12 months I gave up on the formula and had the dcp give her cows milk in a sippy cup instead, she liked that much better than formula.
#5 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Mine went without a bottle or formula. Like you I went back to work when my DS was 10 months old. DH works evenings so he is home with him during the day. By 10 months my DS was drinking out a cup (with someone else holding it). I tried formula at first but he flat out refused to drink any and was eating lots of solids. So he had organic cow's milk, and water during the day and breastfed whenever I was home. He did great with that! I had DH offer him lots of high quailty, higher fat solids and we never had an issue. At 22 months he is still breastfeeding evenings, at night and in the morning before work (and all weekend) with no end in sight!

In the beginning I also made sure I had this yogert in the house:

Liberte Méditerranée

DS loved it. It was high fat and I knew he would always eat that if nothing else and at least not go hungry until I got home. (I was pretty nervous at first but it worked out fine).

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

#6 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 09:32 PM

I don't think it's reasonable to ask ANYONE to go 11 hours without at least the option of food. Maybe try a sippy cup instead of a bottle? Babies who hate artificial nipples sometimes do not object to a cup, and she'll certainly be old enough.
#7 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesandNo View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to ask ANYONE to go 11 hours without at least the option of food. Maybe try a sippy cup instead of a bottle? Babies who hate artificial nipples sometimes do not object to a cup, and she'll certainly be old enough.
the baby is eating solids, so this isn't a thing of needing to go 11 hours without food, just without BM or formula.

personally, DD wouldn't have done this at 10 months. but now at 16 months, she regularly goes 8-9 hours and am sure she could go 11 fine without nursing. at 10 months, she was still taking a few ounces (maybe 3) in a 5-hour period.

i would send bottles or cups of formula if no breastmilk (yours or donor's) is available.

how much lead time do you have, and can you pump at all?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#8 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a View Post
It's september and DD#2 is 8 1/2 months old. I will go back to work November 1st and she will be just over 10 months old.

With DD #1 I went back to work when she was 11 months old and she got one bottle of formula at the dayhome and lots of solids and bfed when I was home.

So, I'm hoping to do the same with DD#2 - I really want to minimize the amount of formula she gets, but don't want to pump either. We went out tonight and left them with auntie. DD#2 wouldn't take the bottle. She screamed and screamed. Now, I'm not sure if she wasn't hungry because she'd had solids earlier and just missed mommy at bedtime, or if she just doesn't like bottles. She did take one for her daddy the other day, but has also refused them before, too. She hasn't had many at all yet, so who knows.

Is it reasonable to think that a 10 month old could go most of the day (11 hrs) without a bottle?? Maybe she'll take it eventually when she gets hungry enough? Anyone with kids that age comment on how much they eat vs. how much they drink? Anything I could do to make this easier?

I should add that I expect her to breastfeed lots and lots - before work, when I get home, before bed, through the night. I know I did it with her big sister, but this kid really knows what she wants, if you know what I mean.

thanks.
g.
gah! i see now, she won't take a bottle. why not pump and try a sippy? if you start pumping once or twice per day now, you could have a nice stash by november 1.

though she might take a bottle if she's 11 hours without nursing.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#9 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Ya, I've got about 7 weeks till i go back. I'm trying to avoid pumping, though. Can't stand pumping. I like the sippy cup idea, though. I had forgotten abou those! DD#1 wouldn't use one. What age do they normally start sippy cups?? I'm also wanting to avoid cows milk for as long as possible - at least the first year because of allergies in the family. I don't know if I can have my cake and eat it too with that one, though.

g.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page