How much breastmilk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I leave for daddy to feed the babe when I return to work when the baby is 6 weeks and how should it be divided? I was thinking in increments of 2-4 oz and about 8bottles--4 2 ozers and 4 4ozers. On average-- Too much? Too little?

Don't want to waste any, which is why they are "small". There will hopefully be a freezer stash, too and formula for just in case.

I'll have 6 months left on my employment contract after the baby is born--if they do not involuntarily extend me right at 6 months postpartum for a little 12 month business trip to Iraq or Afghanistan (in which CLW is out the window). Stop Loss FTL. I've done my 8. And then some. Thank you very much for those of you who say "your contract was for 8 years".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM

In retrospect (i went back to work at 6 weeks also) I would say, make one 4 oz bottle, and then make a bunch of 2 oz "refills." This is what I do even now, because my ds is such a finicky bottle person. It is totally hit or miss whether he'll take it or not. I use those little 2 oz vials and store them in the fridge. all the caregiver has to do is screw on a bottle top; when it's empty, unscrew it and put it on another one. or if you use avent or palytex or some other bottles, literally just refill the bottle.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#3 of 6 Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 PM

for the first bit, I think 1 4 oz bottle every three hours, plus 1-2 refills as well should be great. it depends on your babe a lot - if she is a snacker or a meal eater, etc. And more during growth spurts just around 6 weeks, etc. But my babe settled down to a routine fairly quickly - nursed with me before DC at around 8, 4-5 oz bottles around 10, 1 and a 2-3 oz snack at 3:30, and then I nursed again at 5:15 at pick-up. With exceptions, of course. I always left a couple 2 oz bottles handy in the freezer because I knew that some days he just wanted more mama milk! But I know a friend who swears she sent 8 oz bottles and her DS would take 3 8 oz bottles a day!!!

PS - ITA you can never have too many 2 oz bottles, but you can have too many 4 oz, so err on the 2 oz side!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#4 of 6 Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM

When my ds was that age he never drank more than 2 oz at a time. I really hate to see milk go to waste, so I never made up bottles any bigger than 2 oz. He only started taking 4 at a time about a month ago (he's 5 months).
#5 of 6 Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
at that age, my DS ate about 2 oz bottles every 2 hours. He is 9 MO now, and eats 3 oz bottles every 3 hours. Won't eat any more than that no matter how much I try (which is why we have a huge freezer stash that is getting old now).

Good luck going back to work, it was rough for me at first, but it got better.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daycare baby (now two!) only drank about 2-3 ounces at a time until she was 3-4 months old. Like another poster suggested, I would leave one four ouncer and the rest as two ounce refills so that dad can give her two ounces at a time.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page