getting out the door - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DD is 20 months and is sooo distracted in the morning when I am trying to get her dressed and out the door. She also has a problem in that it seems to take her FOREVER to wake up.

what are your tips- or what do you find successful? I generally put her shirt on the night before that she'll wear the next day but other than that, I can't seem the rest of her going.

thanks
#2 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM

I'm sure you've considered this, but have you tried moving her bedtime earlier so she gets a little more sleep?

Other than that, we have everything humanly possible done the night before: lunches made, bags packed, coffee ready to turn on, breakfast made, clothes laid out, etc. It doesn't speed ds up that much, but it lets us focus on getting him ready faster. Somehow things take three times longer in the morning than the evening before.
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM

I get up at least 30 mins before the children and get myself completely ready to go before waking them up. I lay out clothes and breakfast things the night before so they can see what they should be eating and wearing. Of course I help out with everything but my children seem to work well with visual clues.

We also have a no TV rule in the morning although I must admit that I've been lax with that this week.

HTH!
#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabigus View Post
I'm sure you've considered this, but have you tried moving her bedtime earlier so she gets a little more sleep?

Other than that, we have everything humanly possible done the night before: lunches made, bags packed, coffee ready to turn on, breakfast made, clothes laid out, etc. It doesn't speed ds up that much, but it lets us focus on getting him ready faster. Somehow things take three times longer in the morning than the evening before.
This is what I do too- everything the night before. If I don't I am always rushing out the door the next morning and am usually late.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM

We wake up almost two hours before we need to leave the house. We also do a lot of bargaining: "ok, you can have some milk, but after you let me brush your teeth." We also will bring his fresh diaper and clean clothes and change him wherever he happens to be playing. We'll even bring a wet washcloth for his face and a toothbrush with toothpaste on it to whereever he is - he is less resistant that way.
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

I often set clothes out the night before. Me and kids wake up, they sit around half asleep while I wrangle them into clothes and clean diapers, throw on some clothes myself, and trudge them out the door. Not sure, never been much of a problem, they eat breakfast at preschool/daycare and such and I don't have to worry about getting myself ready.
#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, I'm with you Craftymum. I could never get out of the house if I didn't get mostly ready before Lu wakes up. I get my shower and get dressed and get lunches ready and then I wake her up.

I've been known to let her wear jammies to daycare and then do a quick change in the car. I actually once dropped her off in a jammy shirt and leggings and handed her off with a sundress saying "can you put this on her--she was really difficult this morning?" I picked her up that afternoon and she was dressed... with jammies still on underneath! I don't try to have them dress her anymore...

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#8 of 8 Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM

My son is a very early riser (5-6am), so I almost have the opposite problem...how to keep him occupied while I get ready. And my husband is usually heading out the door when we wake up. First thing when ds wakes up I get him in a clean diaper, dressed, downstairs and eating toast. He usually plays or watches cartoons while I'm up in the shower, getting dressed, etc. Because its difficult to get out the door in time, I usually wear my hair up...bun, ponytail, etc. because I can't be bothered with blowdrying and hot-ironing. Lunches are made, backpack packed, and clothes laid out the night before, preferrably right by the front door. Altogether it takes me an hour to an hour and half to be ready, fed and out the door. Gosh I don't know how I'm going to manage with two...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page