Bad at exams! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm so freaked out. I have my first chem test today and,, as with all my classes, I understand the big picture but can't memorize the little details. there are too many. they donmt stick. I want to cry. I keep failing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM

I'm the same way. Exams are soo freakin hard for me. I study so much and then i get to the exam and they ask some obscure question, and i can remember which lecture the prof talked about it, but can't get it out of my head.
I've had a hard time with exams since middle school though. I have to study about 4x as much as my dh who is also in school. I do flashcards, retyping my notes, reading my books multiple times, and do as much as i can, and if i still can't remember i just have to let it go.
I don't really have much in the way of suggestions but i'm sorry, and good luck on your test and try your best to not freak out anymore.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM

I hope you did alright today. Chem is really hard--give yourself a break! What have you tried? I was never good at memorization, but acronyms and made-up songs seemed to help, especially for stuff that doesn't seem to have any "real" order....

Try not to stress too much!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Do you experience this with all subject areas or just science?0 ahh my daughter is "helping" me type. Sorry for random letters and such

Have you talked with your professor about the issues you're facing? Maybe he can suggest another way to study or give you some direction.

I hope you did wel!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Have you checked to see whether your school offers any study skills support groups, or free tutoring? If not, most schools have an office of disability services. Even if your problems aren't serious enough to be considered a "disability," they may be able to evaluate your academic strengths and weakness, and point you toward appropriate resources.

Also, I do think it is a good idea to talk to your professor, but I think professors are often uninformed about study resources available on campus. If your professor doesn't have concrete suggestions about where you can go for help, do follow up on your own.

Don't let this get you down! Plenty of smart people have one or more areas where they struggle academically.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

User Tag List