Mothering Forum banner

Are you happy/content with your job?

1K views 26 replies 26 participants last post by  ShwarmaQueen 
#1 ·
Or not...if so why/why not?

#2 ·
I really like my job. I'm a teacher and I teach music one day a week and I sub one more day a week. I'm able to enjoy my job because 1) I have the flexibility to work only two days a week, 2) I have a fabulous babysitter who really adds to my daughter's life and gives her experience I can't, 3) I had a 1 year maternity leave. I love being a teacher, but if I didn't have those three things I could easily start to resent working.

#3 ·
I really like my job...sorta. I'm a research analyst for a social policy reserach organization and it's the place I've wanted to be since I was in grad school. It's a great place with good work and lots of great characteristics - lots to learn, room to grow, defined career paths, good bennies, etc.

The flip side is that I think I just don't like working full time while being a mom. It is too hard. I work fewer hours than all my coworkers and the pressure is pretty strong. I feel like I can't keep up, plus I'm not doing as well on the family side as I would like. I am going to try to get part-time hours after my new baby is born, and that may be ideal for me. But I think it will slow down my career progress dramatically. Which wouldn't bother me, except that I don't know if it would stigmatize me among my coworkers.

#4 ·
I am pretty happy with my job as a lawyer. I like about 80-90% of it most days. The hours are good, the benefits are great, the pay is so-so, and I like almost everyone I work with. As much as I love my son, I just don't think I could stay home with him every day. My job gives me flexibility to be with him but also to flex my brain.

#5 ·
I am so-so right now about my job. I enjoyed it a lot but there have been a ton of changes the last few weeks and a lot of my responsibilities have been changed. It's a great company in general to work for but I am not happy with what they have me doing now. I do mortgage processing for a large financial company. I'm thankful that I still have my job but I am starting to think about going back to school for nursing. This is something I have been thinking about for the last 6 months now, but have really started researching it this past month.

#6 ·
Kristenb - whoa ho I bet your job is not too pleasant right now! I think you're thinking in the right direction - health care was one of the only 3 industries that grew last quarter....

Mylegs - what are your hours like? All the lawyers I know seem to work 30 hours a day.

#7 ·
I LOVE love love love love my job. I am a Librarian!!! I wake up every day and think "I get to go to work today!!". Reasons for loving it are: surrounded by books all day long, I get to order whatever I want (within reason- I do have to order what patrons are looking for as well
), I set my own hours, it is a VERY family friendly environment, I work with intelligent people, patrons are generally here to improve themselves, I help develop programs that enrich the lives or our community or develop programs that are just plain fun, I learn something new every day, I get to read to kids and expose them to literature daily, I get to help the elderly, and I'm almost never too tired to play with my dd when I get home. The only negative to my position right now is that I haven't been here long enough to have a longer maternity leave (I am only taking four weeks off and coming back for half weeks for the 2 weeks after that) but hopefully, I can convince my director to let me wear the baby for the 2 half-weeks and start awareness about the advantages of ap in this workplace

#9 ·
My job stinks. I work in the automotive industry at one of the big three. I've been here for 7 years and 6 out of the 7 years we have had personnel cuts. I currently like what I do, however they are trying to push me into another position working for someone I wouldn't want to work with in a million years. The job uncertainty is killing me.

#12 ·
I am a special education teacher, and I love so many things about my job....

Wonderful children. I love my kids. Very good relationships with their parents as well.

I work with dedicated and smart teachers who put kids first, and don't wish my students weren't in their classes.

My own kids go to school where I work. My daughter is in preschool there, and I get a 50% (!!!) discount on her childcare.

I currently have the best physical working conditions I have ever had, and access to better materials for teaching than I have ever had before.

The downside:

I am paid for three days of work per week, and work full-time and then some. I feel that my son and daughter get less of me than I originally envisioned as a "part-time" employee.

Our principal, district executives and some of the other non-teaching staff are terrible, and much of the extra time I work for free is damage control/making up for their incompetence.

The paperwork is beyond terrible.

I feel that I can't give my students everything they need, due to budgetary and time constraints, and it is so painful to see them sad or lacking something.

So, I am right in the middle. Can't decide whether I can keep doing this or not. Must keep thinking....kids, kids, kids!

L.

#13 ·
For the most part, I like my job. I would prefer to be unemployed but it's not in the cards right now. As far as jobs go, it's pretty good. My schedule is workable and the pay is probably better than anything I could make in 18hrs a week in the private sector.

There are some frustrating things that have to do with lack of communication from upper management and the fact that we work on a computer database that was established in 1967 so it's far from "user friendly" and it breaks down a lot. And I have a few coworkers who I don't love spending time around.

#15 ·
I am very happy with my job.

I am the assistant manager of a very busy emergency department. I love my staff, the doctors and most times, the hospital I work for.

Some weeks are rough and I am here more than I like....then there are other weeks where I take and pick up my ten yr old from school everyday.

The money and flexibility are great. I also get to see people at their best and worst.

#16 ·
I really enjoy my job.

I'm an environmental scientist, working for the "good guys", so that's nice. My work environment is casual, with people who are bright, respectful, and fun to work with. My work hours are flexible, so as long as I get my time in, all is good.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
For the most part, I like my job. I would prefer to be unemployed but it's not in the cards right now. As far as jobs go, it's pretty good. My schedule is workable and the pay is probably better than anything I could make in 18hrs a week in the private sector.

There are some frustrating things that have to do with lack of communication from upper management and the fact that we work on a computer database that was established in 1967 so it's far from "user friendly" and it breaks down a lot. And I have a few coworkers who I don't love spending time around.
So if you don't mind me asking, is being a mod an official job or is it volunteer? How many hours do y'all spend on it?

#20 ·
I like my job. It's not my dream job but it is meaningful, I am out of the office about half of the week and get to set my own schedule. I like working with 'most' of the families I am assisting and love getting to see the children. It can be a downer though because some of the kids on my caseoad have serious/rare medical issues and there aren't enough resources out there to help them and their families. In fact I have one child with a rare degenerative neurological disease- her family is trying to get in home health support and because they live in a rural area...NO ONE will serve them. Someone at the state told me the family can either care for her themself of put the child in an institution. Yeah...okay, that's a great solution. They don't want someone to care for their child, they just need a little help.

#21 ·
I dislike my job. The "h" word better describes how I feel, but I try not to use it too often. I took the job because I thought that it would work well with my home and academic schedule. In theory it could, but my job is so depressing that it drains me. I constantly feel as if I have no energy left for anything but sleeping.

I took the job with high expectations thinking that I could make a difference in the lives of disadvantaged children. I was told that the local organization was unstable because of recent turnovers that were due to employees receiving promotions. Based on what I have witnessed the director is unorganized and fight/disagrees with her boss because of a personal dislike. Past employees moved on because of the internal situation.

My days begin and end the same way. Filled with ambiguity.

I have contemplated going to my director's superior, but I am uncertain. I attend the same church with my director and I want to avoid any and all confusion if possible. I have lost all respect for her based upon her professional and personal life. I have spent the whole day in her office listening to stories about her personal life.

I do not know what to do.

#22 ·
I'm a nanny, a holistic, crunchy, single mom to one unschooled 6yr old son, type o' nanny......

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what I do. When I can care for a cool family, I get excited about my day!

But to be honest, it's VERY hard finding people in my niche. So right now I'm unemployed, have been for most of the yr. It sucks. And it's starting to get to me. *sigh*

SO any one who wants to send some good happy employment vibes my way, I would be deeply ingratiated.....
:

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislemama View Post
Another teacher chiming in to say I really like and appreciate my job. I do take home a couple of hours worth of marking every night, but other than that I enjoy going to school every day. It can be exhausting dealing with teenagers, but it can be strangely energizing, too.
:

Teaching is my third career, and I am always telling people that it's the only job I've ever loved. It's quite demanding during the school year (especially since I'm an English teacher with a constant stack of papers and essays to be graded), but it's joyful work for me.

I think if I won the lottery, I'd go to part time, though!

#24 ·
I really don't like my job. I knew it wasn't my dream job, but thought it was a good place to get started and gain some experience. Turns out I'm not doing half of what I thought I would be and don't have enough work to keep me busy. I was sent to a great training a couple of months ago and that was the highlight of enjoying my job since I started this past February. I'm holding out until we ttc #2 and then taking a fulltime career break. Hopefully when I start working again after that I will be teaching yoga, which is what I'm beginning to do on the side right now. I just finished my yoga RYT 200 hour and teaching a weekly donation class right now. I love it!! Now just need to figure out how to get paid for it.

#25 ·
I hate my job. Most of the people in my department speak Spanish, so there is a communication problem. Of course when I was hired, no one told me this, and on the first day of orientation, everything was spoken in Spanish. The only new person who speaks English besides myself quit, and the other co-worker is deaf(whom I enjoy greatly when we can talk). The two 3 managers speak English, but mostly everyone in my department speaks Spanish(and of course they can't put me in the department where everyone speaks English). I'm only working here because we need the money and DP doesn't bring in enough on just one income. This job also brings rush hour traffic, and waiting more than 40 minutes one way in slow, bumper-to-bumper traffic.

The day isn't so bad, as long as I'm working by myself, and no one is sent in to help me clean, like on slow days. I just recently started working weekends only, because DP got an additional part time job. However, I hate working weekends-because that's when our daughters are off school. In this economy though, I'm gonna have to tough it out until I can get something close by. We live by soo many restaurants, stores, schools, but none of them are hiring. Even the school across the street pays more, and I'd have weekends off. Because of budget cuts in Nevada, they aren't currently hiring.

I've been looking for work at home jobs since December of last year, but have had no luck with that, mostly just scams or jobs that need money upfront.

Well, atleast I have a job, even though I hate it.

#26 ·
I love my job. I am a CPS worker and it took me two years to get the job and it was well worth it. I love being able to met people and help them, I love the craziness of the job, I love that I have to be ready to hit the ground running at a moment's notice, I love being able to work with the police and the courts. I think it is a good fit for me and often times it does not even seem like work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.