*~*November*~* Nurses & Future Nurses! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate, hate, hate hospital bedside nursing. So I discovered public health. Some of it's cool but some of it isn't. We don't do home visits & stuff like that but I do get to do well-child exams. I also do all the case mgt for our perinatal hep B prevention program & that is all a ginormous beating.

I'm going back to school in January in hopes of possibly expanding my opportunities. The thought of it makes me really nervous though. It's been 10 years now since I finished my ADN & this program is full-time for 2 semesters. Because I also work FT & have 3 kids I'm just anxious that I might not be able to hang. I did do it before with toddler twins & no help so maybe I can do this? It all seems to be going so fast - I just found out Thanksgiving that I was accepted & now I already have to register & then go for orientation Jan 5th. I feel very overwhelmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
I hate, hate, hate hospital bedside nursing. So I discovered public health. Some of it's cool but some of it isn't. We don't do home visits & stuff like that but I do get to do well-child exams. I also do all the case mgt for our perinatal hep B prevention program & that is all a ginormous beating.

I'm going back to school in January in hopes of possibly expanding my opportunities. The thought of it makes me really nervous though. It's been 10 years now since I finished my ADN & this program is full-time for 2 semesters. Because I also work FT & have 3 kids I'm just anxious that I might not be able to hang. I did do it before with toddler twins & no help so maybe I can do this? It all seems to be going so fast - I just found out Thanksgiving that I was accepted & now I already have to register & then go for orientation Jan 5th. I feel very overwhelmed.
I am REALLY getting sick of hospital nursing as well. Its making me depressed and angry! It's not my patients (love the kids) but it's just everything else--I feel like I am at my wits end. I am TOTALLY wanting to do public health but having a hard time finding a public health job.

You CAN do it girl! I know it has to be overwhelming, because it will be a change and change is sometimes hard, but you will adjust and just get through it. You can do it, just one day at a time and in no time you will be through with the 2 semesters!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#63 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 AM

Does anyone do home health? How much experience do you think someone needs for home health?? I'm a new RN, graduated in May but I work in a peds ICU and I feel my skills base is pretty good. I also worked as a tech a year before that (basic care, art lines, central lines, tube feeds, vent and trach care/sxn, etc).

I really think I need to get out of the hospital before I quit nursing all together...

#64 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 AM

I definitely don't want to go back to hospital nursing. I really feel like I've paid my dues there. I'm leaning more towards public health, home health, OB home health, and teaching.

Marilyn, my personal opinion is that you should have at least a year or two of basic nursing experience before going into home health. You don't have the supervision and technology in the home care setting, so having a really good base of assessment skills is crucial. You don't have the art lines, Swann lines, etc to give you information--you have to learn to find it on your own. Plus, you need lots of interpersonal experience because you find yourself in some really awkward situations at times. If all of your experience is in PICU, consider getting some Med Surg experience or basic cardiac experience, unless you want to stick with peds-only homecare. If you want to do peds, then PICU experience is great. There's lots of peds vents at home.
#65 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Marilyn, my personal opinion is that you should have at least a year or two of basic nursing experience before going into home health... If all of your experience is in PICU, consider getting some Med Surg experience or basic cardiac experience, unless you want to stick with peds-only homecare. If you want to do peds, then PICU experience is great. There's lots of peds vents at home.
ITA. My first hospital experience was adult pulmonary & that really gave me a lot of confidence later on going into HH. I agree that you'd probably want to consider getting some other adult exp. unless you want to just do pedi HH. Much of the pedi HH available where I am is actually private duty shifts rather than visits & I've just not ever been interested in spending that much time in a family's home.
#66 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the HH advice, I appreciate it!

I am interested in pedi home health and wouldn't mind private duty with a family I like. I guess it wouldn't hurt contacting a few of the local companies here and seeing what their experience has been with newer grads. I just can't take much more of the hospital.... I'm convinced now that there is not a nursing shortage, just nurses not wanting to put up with hospital nursing for long.

I also found 2 other places to work at outside the hospital, a home for chronic kids, I think I would enjoy that (trach and vent dependent kids, etc). I really enjoy children. That would give me some good experience for pedi HH too I think?

#67 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 PM

I've had that thought about the shortage as well.
#68 of 89 Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
I'm convinced now that there is not a nursing shortage, just nurses not wanting to put up with hospital nursing for long.
Wow, I've never really thought of it that way, but I think you may be right. When I graduated, there was a huge nursing shortage. The two local nursing schools cranked out about 180 ASN grads a year, but that didn't seem to be enough to staff the local hospitals. It was a small town and a lot of them seemed to head out to the bigger cities where they could almost double their income, but that didn't seem to be where the majority went. Something to think about.
#69 of 89 Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Hello all!

I am doing pre-reqs right now for nursing. Still not sure if I am going for my BSN or Associates. I guess it just depends on who takes me. I already have a gen Associates now, but still need most of the core nursing pre-reqs. Since all of those are typically intense courses, I'm having to take it pretty slow in order to keep my GPA up. Though I totally feel like I'm going to be in school for the rest of my life!

Hoping to working in some kind of labor and delivery place (hospital, or birthing center).

I have an almost 2 yr old ds. Just taking one day at a time!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#70 of 89 Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
amnesiac, I notice that you're the mod for vaccinations and a public health nurse. How do you deal with vaxes in your work? I assume that it's part of your hep B prevention role.

I'm also in public health, and have to say that doing vaccinations is by far my least favourite part of my job. And I'm not 100% anti-vax (my daughter is selectively/delayed vaxxed), but I really dislike "convincing" people to vaccinate. I'm pretty laid back about it- totally no pressure, I explain our "official" stance and support whatever decisions people make. But even as I read the information that I'm supposed to give clients it makes me shutter; it's so emotionally charged and kind of manipulative at times.

Other than that, I find that working in public health is generally more aligned with my personal beliefs than a lot of labour and delivery that I did over the years- though I get to deal with the breastfeeding fallout of crummy L&D policies in the early days at home I love the breastfeeding and transition to parenthood support, really like doing developmental assessments, facilitating a parent/baby group, etc. Public health is a great fit for me, and getting away from shiftwork has also been good

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#71 of 89 Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 PM

I guess I'm an odd one. I love bedside nursing! I love the teaching and TLC involved. I got to help 32.5 week twins go to breast today! It was awesome!
#72 of 89 Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 AM

:

I'll come out from hiding for just a little bit. I'm K, single mommy to S. She's 6 and I've been an RN for only 6 short months and I'm sadly already tired.

I'm in total new grad, fish out of water, panic mode. I graduated with my BSN in May. I used to be a student nurse in OB, but since they didn't offer any full time employment, i had to find a job elsewhere. I kick myself everyday for not just taking the part time job they offered me. I miss OB so very much.

That being said, I'm already on nursing job #2. I picked job #1 specifically for the great pay and great benefits. Now I see why they pay their nurses so much. I had nightmares about going to work, it was affecting my personal life, and I knew it was time to goooo. I'm sooo happy I left!

I just started orientation on a Surgical/Ortho unit. I"m absolutely giddy that after 6 months of 'experience', i got a day position. It's 12 hours which is great b/c i only work 3 days a week, but it stinks in terms of childcare. I really want to know how Miss BugMacGee does this, because I can't afford not to work full time, but I feel like my personal life is falling apart because I work such long hours! I miss my kiddo constantly and I want to be with her all the time, but I just can't afford to cut down my hours right now.

So anyways, thats my sob story. I really am grateful I have a job, and you can't get any better job security, but I'm just wondering when the feeling of finally knowing that you're competent and you're not going to kill anyone- goes away.
#73 of 89 Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 AM

Magnificient mama-PM me and we'll chat. I couldn't keep doing 12 hour shifts as a single mom. I left a job I LOVED and have found my niche in a different unit. It has brought out a different side of the NICU nurse in me. Given me a more *big picture* view of the specialty.

As for the social life thing. Well....I wish I had a good solution there. It's a struggle. But working 8's is definitely more amenable to doing things in the evenings. I just have issues with childcare!

So many issues...sigh.
#74 of 89 Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificentmama View Post
So anyways, thats my sob story. I really am grateful I have a job, and you can't get any better job security, but I'm just wondering when the feeling of finally knowing that you're competent and you're not going to kill anyone- goes away.
It goes away?
#75 of 89 Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
It goes away?
Oh hockey sticks!! Don't tell me that!!!!!! I was hoping that eventually this feeling of impending doom was going to go away soon!!!!
#76 of 89 Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM

I found my place on MDC!!!!! YAY. I am currently in the "float pool" in a small town community hospital. I work everywhere in the hospital except OB. I really like pregnancy and birth and babies though and kind of wonder if OB is my thing. I think OB would be hard though with all the intervention that I don't really agree with. Anyway, just posted a big long post in this forum and am kind of at a crossroads. Float pool is big $$ so I can work less, but I am thinking I might need something mroe full time bc I need benefits. But the thought of working full time in a hospital is making me sick!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#77 of 89 Old 12-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Oh hockey sticks!! Don't tell me that!!!!!! I was hoping that eventually this feeling of impending doom was going to go away soon!!!!
Ack, maybe it does for some. I dunno, it never totally went away for me. There was always too much to do, for too many people, with not enough time to get it done, and I was always worried that something/someone would get missed. The only time I ever felt completely "with-it" was when I did ICU dialysis. Just me, the patient, and a machine. I didn't do the bedside nursing care, just dealt with the dialysis needs and helped out if I could. That left me plenty of time to visit with the patient, if s/he was conscious. Lots of teaching time, lots of time to discuss diet and natural interventions, lots of time to visit. Of all the things I did, dialysis was probably my favorite.

Wanna hear something funny? Not funny ha-ha, but funny sad/scary? Those nightmares I mentioned? Well, it's always me with a full patient load (6-8) on a day shift telemetry floor with pre-CABGs, post-angios, and simple monitors. I look at my watch and it's 2:00, almost time for shift change, and I haven't had time to pass any meds or chart any assessments. That feeling of panic sets in and just as I start running down the hall, I wake up. Thank G*d. It's just a dream, but all too close to reality. And it's been *years* since I worked tele. *sigh*
#78 of 89 Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 AM

Hi- I'm Nina, been a RN for....5 years now? Yup, I guess its been 5 years. I've been SAH for the last year and worked very lightly the year before that. I've been attending HB's off and on for the last 1 1/2 years but the MW gave up her practice. assisting HBs was a welcomed change in pace after working 10 years (6 years as a CNA- 4 as a nurse) on a insanely busy surgical urology/medical floor. My nerves were frayed when I left that place. I feel so much more relaxed now........... and rusty, lol. I would really love to work in HH but I fear I have really let my skills go.

I do miss working as a nurse but the thought of floor nursing gives me chills, lol. I've had my fill of working every other holiday, every other weekend, night shifts, mandatory over time, etc. And I've had my fill of taking care of 5-7 acute pts at a time. But at the same time I really enjoy the fast pace, acute care stuff. I'm just not sure that I would be satisfied at a Dr's office or something.

nice meeting you all :-)
#79 of 89 Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm deciding to crawl out from under the rock I've been lurking under. I've read this thread and the WHOLE 3-year-long previous thread.

I've been contemplating going back to school for a nursing degree for a couple of years. I got my BS in psychology in 1997, started grad school (never finished) and then became a SAHM. I was intending to go the the local state university as a transfer student for their BSN program. Just today I got the transcript evaluation for my previous coursework, and I'm crestfallen. In addition to the nursing prereqs I'd need to take, I'm also missing a boatload of general ed requirements (mostly cultural diversity type of things) because my previous coursework wasn't deemed equivalent to the classes that are now offered. So basically, to get my BSN I'd need to start all over and it would take a full 4 years. I could try to argue that the classes I took 10+ years ago are equivalent to current classes, but I didn't keep my coursework or sylabii. This is not what I had planned. sigh.

So now I'm back to considering an ADN program. I know that this is the snob inside me coming out, but there's a part of me that cringes to think about going to a dinky community college rather than a university. Philosophically, I know that it's the experience that's most important, but I'm struggling with the thought that I could do better than that. Silly, I know. I also really wanted the BSN so that I'd have more options down the line- I could become a NP or CNM if I wanted to. (I do know there are RN to BSN programs out there, so that's an option)

So give me the scoop. How much does the type of degree matter- BSN vs. ADN. I know that I've seen a few want ads that specify that candidates with BSNs are preffered over ADNs. Will I be paid less with an ADN degree vs. BSN? Will I have a harder time finding a job? Is it stupid of me to be worried about this?

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#80 of 89 Old 12-17-2008, 07:03 PM

It's been a few years since I've been in the academic world, so someone please point out if my information is not current. The basic nursing education between ADN and BSN is negligible. Historically, diploma grads were best prepared for testing (NCLEX) and the actual world of nursing, followed by ADN grads, with BSNs bringing up the rear in terms of test success and initial integration into the work world. So in the short term, you're better off with an ADN.

Most places do pay a differential to someone with a BSN and some with any bachelor's degree. (My old hospitals paid 50cents an hour for a BS/BA. Wow.) Unless your state requires a BSN for initial RN practice (NE off the top of my head), most places only want a BSN for management positions--which you're not going to get as a new grad anyway. Having a BSN generally does not make a difference in hiring for your first nursing position (and some managers actually refuse new BSN grads because they haven't had the clinical experience).

If you want to continue your education into an advanced practice role, then there are many different ways to do that. There's RN-to-MSN, there's RN-to-BSN online, and there are programs that offer RN-to-MSN fast track for candidates who already hold a BS/BA in another field.

If you want to try to challenge their evaluation of your previous coursework, contact your school for copies of the syllabi. I challenged one after ten years and was able to get the syllabus easily, just a call to the registrar's office.

I understand the desire for a degree from a "good school," but you'll likely get more personal attention from a "dinky community college," which is really important in a heavy program like nursing. ADN isn't necessarily a terminal degree and can provide you with a stepping stone to further education. Or you may decide that you hate nursing and healthcare and you're not out six years of study!
#81 of 89 Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I think some amount of *fear*, if you can call it that, is healthy in this environment. Anyone who is too comfortable or confident and thinks they know everything (at least in critical care) makes me nervous.

My sense of impending doom did go away after a year or so and then I started attending high risk deliveries!!! Got used to that, then I started doing transport! I'm pretty comfortable where I am in my practice now. Now watch, they'll make me do charge.
#82 of 89 Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
My sense of impending doom did go away after a year or so and then I started attending high risk deliveries!!! Got used to that, then I started doing transport! I'm pretty comfortable where I am in my practice now. Now watch, they'll make me do charge.
A year was about how long it took me to get less "totally fearful all the time" (and to stop having stupid work dreams constantly, too). It does get better

I have a BSN from a Canadian university, but the difference between diploma/degree programs is a little different here. In BC the diploma programs are being (or already are?) phased out- community colleges have programs that feed into university BSN programs. I loved being in a university setting- getting to see and participate in new nursing research, the really academic environment and services, and the variety of career options that I was exposed to. We did less acute care clinical experience in the program, but a lot more community/ health promotion work. It was scary as a brand new grad working in acute care, but it got better

I wrote the NCLEX after I had been out of school and working in L&D for five years. My husband went to grad school in Oregon, so I wrote it to work while we were there. There was certainly some cramming of cardiology and neuro stuff that I hadn't looked at for years, but overall it wasn't that bad! I passed on my first try (and in only 45 minutes).

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#83 of 89 Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post

So give me the scoop. How much does the type of degree matter- BSN vs. ADN. I know that I've seen a few want ads that specify that candidates with BSNs are preffered over ADNs. Will I be paid less with an ADN degree vs. BSN? Will I have a harder time finding a job? Is it stupid of me to be worried about this?
I have a BSN and for *me* it was a good choice because I plan to start applying to NP next year. I just didn't want to get my associates (I already have one) and then go back for more undergrad schooling...I just don't know if I would have gone back sad to say. But even saying that I would have been happy just to get into ANY good nursing program given how hard it is to get into any of them!

No, you won't have a harder time finding a job with an ADN, most places don't care and they don't pay BSN more (well except like VA here which pays significantly more for BSN). There are some nursing specialties that do require a BSN (some state jobs, some public health, school nursing, etc) but most don't care.

As far as clinical hours between ADN and BSN I think that isn't an issue anymore. Your state board of nursing decides how many clinical hours are required so they both have to meet the same requirements. I know when I was in my BSN program, NONE of the ADN program students that I ever worked with got any more clinical hours than I did.

I would look at which programs have the best NCLEX pass rates (you should be able to find this online on your board of nursing website). And just apply to all that your interested in and see where you get accepted! What schools in your area have a good reputation?

I know I went to an excellent nursing school well know in the community (I talked to a lot of nurses and doctors before applying). For me the unit I work in, the "bookwork" I learned in school has come in WAY more valuable to me than clinical "skills". I have to do a lot of critical thinking and have had to go back and review my critical care and med/surg books a lot more than anything else. Basic skills are not hard to learn and students seem so obsessed (I know I was) with how many clinical hours they get, or how many Foleys that have put in, IVs started, etc....you will learn what you need and get a LOT of practice when you start your job. That "bookwork" is your knowledge base and it is SO important! This has been my experience at least.

Good luck finding a school that works for you!!

#84 of 89 Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM

Those are some good points, Marilyn. I forgot to add in my post that in the long run, the amount of clinical time you get in school doesn't really add up to a hill of beans worth of difference. You will learn the skills you need to learn while on the job and each area has a different skills mix. Basic assessment skills are *crucial* in my opinion, because without those, it doesn't matter how well you can do most anything else. "Bookwork," aka theory is also important (and more emphasized in a BSN program) and is the foundation for understanding the "whys" of the skills that we learn.

A lot of the OP's questions are going to be specific to where she lives, like the difference in pay, hiring practices, etc. It might be a good idea to hunt up some local nurses and ask *them* for recommendations for nursing schools, the differences between ADN and BSN locally, etc.

One other area that I thought of where BSN makes a differnece is certs. I think you get credentialed RN,C for ADN and RN,BC for BSN. Is that still correct? My former hospitals paid much more for certs than they did for BS/BA.
#85 of 89 Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
amnesiac, I notice that you're the mod for vaccinations and a public health nurse. How do you deal with vaxes in your work? I assume that it's part of your hep B prevention role.

I'm also in public health, and have to say that doing vaccinations is by far my least favourite part of my job. And I'm not 100% anti-vax (my daughter is selectively/delayed vaxxed), but I really dislike "convincing" people to vaccinate. I'm pretty laid back about it- totally no pressure, I explain our "official" stance and support whatever decisions people make. But even as I read the information that I'm supposed to give clients it makes me shutter; it's so emotionally charged and kind of manipulative at times.
I work for a municipality health dept rather than county or region so our operations are on a much smaller scale & we're not departmentalized. There are only 2 FT nurses so we have to be able to do everything - so that means sometimes I do have to see patients for vax visits, not just as part of peri hep B. I wrote this a while back but it's pretty much my feeling about most everything I do at work. I'm much less pushy than I'm expected to be but I just think people should choose to either do or not do something because they think it's the right thing, not just because someone else told them to. I don't think it's my job to "convince", I think it's my job to provide whatever answers/info a parent/patient needs in an unbiased manner. And I never share my personal views either with patients or co-workers.
#86 of 89 Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the thoughts about BSN vs. ADN. I really appreciate it. I have looked at NCLEX passing rates, but I also realize that how well I do in ANY program will be directly related to how much effort and energy I put into it. And I think that I've had enough life experience now that I'm more eager to get everything I can from my life. Does that make sense?

I've decided to apply to the 'dinky community college' associate RN program for fall of 2009. After chatting with someone in admissions, it looks like that will accept all of my prereqs, so the only thing I need to do before applying is take a Nursing 101/Nursing Assistant course. I figure that I might as well try, it isn't going to cost me too much in terms of time or money. If I don't get into the community college associate RN program, my plan is to reevaluate and probably take the prereqs I'd need to apply the the local state University accelerated BSN program (for people who already have a bachelor's degree).

I'm trying to do this in a manner that is relatively inexpensive, time efficient, but still ensure that I get a good education. So many options to consider...

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#87 of 89 Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Hi All! I'm a BSN RN and currently in grad school working on my CNM and WHNP. I work part-time nights and stay home with my 23 month old during the day. It's busy, but I love it!

Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
#88 of 89 Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Hi CNM2B. I have a question for you. What is the difference between the scope of practice of a CNM and a WHNP? A WHNP doesn't do prenatal and birth I'm assuming. But what do they do that a CNM doesn't do? I've looked into the WHNP program at Frontier but I don't really know what that would enable me to do that a CNM can't do.

It's a long way off for me though since I'm still doing RN prereqs!
#89 of 89 Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM

I started a new thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page