*~*November*~* Nurses & Future Nurses! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here it is! Can we close the other thread and redirect the replies here?

Let's start by doing intros and re-intros!

I'm Keshia, married with a daughter who will be 5 on Dec. 5th. We live in OKC. DH has been a CNA since May 2003 and is premed. I've been a CNA for a few months now, in class to be a Certified Medication Aide, and we're both brushing up on math to take the NET to get on the waiting list for LPN school (which the director says is only 3-6 months!). We are going to commute quite far to this school because it is the only first-come first serve school that I've found! It's also individualized study and since I've taken a few pre-req's I get advanced standing and can finish quicker! Eventually, I plan on become a Certified Nurse Midwife.

Suffering severe baby fever : with my DH and my DD (12/5/03) :
Planning on TTC in 2010!! :
#2 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi! I am an RN-ADN since 2003, and an LPN since 2001. I was a CNA prior to that. I am currently not working. I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. I have experience in LTC (lpn) child psych, and most recently, med-surg. I plan on returning to work in a few months, I have not decided whether psych or med-surg or other!
#3 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM

I'm Lori, I'm an ASN RN. I'm married, with two dds, ages 10 and 13. I worked for 5 years as a nurse at an independent birthing center; then the commute and hours started to weigh heavily on the family, so I now work at our local community hospital--maybe 160 beds total. I've done medical for 4 years total. I work 12 hour nights.

I'm slowly working on my BSN, one or two classes at a time. I love the medical floor, and I love working nights.
#4 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Lori, did you post on Midwifery Today?

DH and I both work 16's on the weekends (at the same place) with the Baylor plan. I love having 5 days off!

#5 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Hi! I've been a NICU nurse for 8 years. 6.5 in a major teaching/research hospital. 1+ in our local community hospital. I changed from working 3 twelves to 3 eights a week due to my recent divorce and childcare challenges.

I love my job!
#6 of 89 Old 10-31-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshia View Post
Lori, did you post on Midwifery Today?
Once upon a time I did, but it's been 2-3 years since I have.
#7 of 89 Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 AM

I'm Dianna, graduated with my ADN in 1995, and have been working ever since! I'm currently in the ER, part time -- 20 hours/ week. I just (moments ago!) applied for a weekends only spot, in hopes that it will make my life a little smoother.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#8 of 89 Old 11-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi I'm Carolyn. I'm a new member. I have one daughter who is 10 months, I'm currently in nursing school to complete my ADN and I'm scheduled to graduate May 2011. I hope to continue my education through a natural health school afterwards and do the 'holistic nurse' thing... or I'd like to work in maternity
#9 of 89 Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Hi everyone. I am in nursing school and can't wait to be finished and be a RN. I have three more semesters to go, so I will be graduating in May 2010. The birth of youngest dd delayed that by a year (it was originally supposed to be May 2009), but she was worth it
I plan to work LDRP and possibly become a CNM when the kids are older.
Great to 'see' everyone!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#10 of 89 Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Hey all - I'm Amanda - I'm an ADN/RN for 18 months - previous to that I was a full-time ER tech and full-time student. I have a 4 month old DD and a 2 yo DS. I've had pregnancies thru work, school, and work again (2nd time working midnights w/ a one year old!) I'm currently on a med/surg floor but I miss the fun and variety of the ER.
#11 of 89 Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Keshia I'm in OKC as well I graduated from UCO and would *totally* recommend them, excellent and well respected nursing program. They have an LPN-BSN and all the LPNs get accepted into the program. I do have the experience to say steer clear of OU's program!

I'm Marilyn and graduated with a BSN in May '08 and work in pediatric ICU at a university hospital. The stress is unbelievable but I am doing well so far Before that I worked as a tech in the ICU for a year. I am working ft days right now but will be switching to ft nights in two weeks which I'm excited about.

I plan to apply for FNP school in 1-2 years.

I have two girls (7 and 10 yrs old) and we also homeschool.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#12 of 89 Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
I have two girls (7 and 10 yrs old) and we also homeschool.
I would love to hear more about this, if you don't mind. What is your typical day like in terms of schedules? How do you balance everything?

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#13 of 89 Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
klt

Hi, I'm Karen. I am starting my first semester in the Spring '09 and will finish my ADN in Dec. 2010. Psyched! I have only clinicals left to take after doing all those other science classes for the past year and a half! I hope that makes NS more manageable since I want to work some and be a happy mommy to my 3 1/2 year old knuckle head son. I am also thinking of cramming in as much chemistry and math as possible over summers so that I have all my classes in order to do a MSN at Rush University in Chicago.

(I just found out they have an ADN to MSN program if you have a previous bacc. degree! Yea! That eliminates the RN-BSN bridge program conundrum for me!)

I wish you all the best and am very excited to be on this forum! It helps normalize my life knowing that (1) there are other students freaking out too and (2) that the schooling and sacrifices pay off in the end with a job you are psyched to do.

Best!

Single mom, raising a spirited boy (6yo) superhero.gifin the middle of the farms outside the city.
#14 of 89 Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Hi im Melanie, i have 1 daughter who is 22 months old. I am curently taking a PCT course 2 nights a week and hopefully will be graduated in Febuary, as well as bartend part time 2 nights a week aswell!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#15 of 89 Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM

My intro is in my sig.

I'm an AND RN and had my first day back after maternity leave last Saturday. Boo. I'll get around to my BSN eventually, maybe even go back for my FNP to work geriatrics or just to teach way down the road when I'm too old to handle a 12 hour shift.
#16 of 89 Old 11-04-2008, 01:21 AM

I am in my last semester of my ADN program. Three weeks of class and then I work with a preceptor. I am counting down to Dec 15th.:

Which means I will be taking the NCLEX and applying for jobs. Any advice on the NCLEX and when to apply for jobs would be appreciated from those who are nurses.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#17 of 89 Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 PM

I applied for my position as soon as I got my RN-IP license which means I hadn't taken the NCLEX yet. Do all states do IP or is it just California?

Regarding the NCLEX. Relax. The process of just signing in, verifying your identity and sitting at the computer is intense. I used the Saunders Q&A book with CD. Doing the questions on the CD help with endurance and you get used to the format.
#18 of 89 Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 AM

I need to pass the NCLEX before I can get a license. NJ doesn't have temporary/graduate nurse licenses.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#19 of 89 Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I am in my last semester of my ADN program. Three weeks of class and then I work with a preceptor. I am counting down to Dec 15th.:

Which means I will be taking the NCLEX and applying for jobs. Any advice on the NCLEX and when to apply for jobs would be appreciated from those who are nurses.
Don't let the NCLEX scare you---it is NOT that bad! At all! I did nothing but the Saunders book (well the cd actually) and I did anywhere from 50-100 questions and read every rational, per day. I probably did 2000 questions over my senior year I would guess. I passed in 75 questions and walking out I knew I had passed.

I started applying for job my last semester senior year and was hired before I graduated and started working about a month or so before I even got my ATT and tested. Here in Oklahoma you can start working as a nurse tech before you pass (we just couldn't give meds without preceptor with us and had to have preceptor sign after our name for RN charting until we were licensed).

You should definitely be applying for jobs now though. One thing I have learned about the nursing shortage is there is an abundance of nursing jobs that no one wants but the popular and specialty areas can be really hard to get into, especially for new grads. I work in the PICU and I know there were a lot of applicants for my job, a lot of nurses were turned down....same with popular areas like OB, ER, etc.

Congrats on almost being done! I graduated in May and can't believe how far I have come already!!

#20 of 89 Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama View Post
Keshia I'm in OKC as well I graduated from UCO and would *totally* recommend them, excellent and well respected nursing program. They have an LPN-BSN and all the LPNs get accepted into the program. I do have the experience to say steer clear of OU's program!
UCO is exactly where we want to go!! I'm so glad to hear you love it and that all of the LPNs get accepted!

We also want to homeschool once we finish school so I hope you don't mind PMs! LOL

#21 of 89 Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM

I am a RN with my BSN. I am currently in the ER, with a 12 yr background in Critical Care, sometimes both at the same time.

I am currently the assistant manager of the department. I also moonlight in a Level 1 Regional Trauma/teaching academic hospital. I love love love that.

The sicker the better. I am an adrenalin junkie.

I am thinking about going for my Masters. Maybe a dual MBA/MHA.
#22 of 89 Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshia View Post
UCO is exactly where we want to go!! I'm so glad to hear you love it and that all of the LPNs get accepted!

We also want to homeschool once we finish school so I hope you don't mind PMs! LOL
Cool

#23 of 89 Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 PM

Are there any other PA nurses here? Where do you plan on getting your CEU's from for renewing your license next time?
#24 of 89 Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 AM

GooeyRN ...
there are lots of free CEUs on Medscape ... all divided by specialty. I open up one window with the article, and one window with the test, and I'm done in no time. They also track your CEUs.

Medscape

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#25 of 89 Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
GooeyRN ...
there are lots of free CEUs on Medscape ... all divided by specialty. I open up one window with the article, and one window with the test, and I'm done in no time. They also track your CEUs.

Medscape
How do you know if they are approved by your particular bon?
#26 of 89 Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Anyone a NP, applying, or in NP school?

I will be applying to a couple FNP or PNP distance programs for next fall. Just wanted to talk about it all....

#27 of 89 Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 PM

I've thought about NNP or PNP. It;s just not in the cards right now. So I'll just eavesdrop on your replies.
#28 of 89 Old 11-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Hi! I'm Jennifer! I'm a Labor/Delivery/Postpartum RN, BSN! I work at a small, rural hospital with just 4 LDRP rooms, 2 PP rooms, and 1 triage room (although we can- and have- delivered in any of our rooms). We generally average about 30-35 births a month. I've just started working nights and am bummed about how slow it is- I really liked the pace of day shift! Oh well! We work 3 12's and it's awesome to do them all in a row and then have the rest of my week to hang out with my family!

I've got a fabulous 10-y-o dd and am hoping to start ttc in early 2009!

I'm thinking and thinking about Frontier- but I'm just not sure yet. A might CNM be in my future, but maybe not. SO many advantages/disadvantages! I've only been working for 6 months though, so I'm going to give it a bit of time and see where my heart (and my life!) leads me!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#29 of 89 Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 AM

Wow, a manageable nurses thread! I've peeked in but never posted before...

I'm Melanie, a BSN RN working in Community Health for 0-5 year olds in BC. Until this summer I worked in "perinatal" for almost seven years; here in BC in a job share between L&D, Postpartum and High-risk Antepartum units for five years (well, with one year of those I was on mat. leave), and more recently for a year and a half in Oregon in L&D while my husband was in grad school there.

I joke that I've "retired" from L&D to work in the community now; the new job is really suiting me well. I love the new baby home visits, the breastfeeding support and facilitating a mother-baby group!

I have a three year old daughter, and am due with baby number two in April.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#30 of 89 Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 AM

bump

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page