Physician mothers tribe - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andrew's mother - Organic is a tough course to take in a summer session. To the extent possible, I would limit the # of premed classes you take over the summer. I got and ignored this advice, took Gen Chem 2 over the summer, and then when a household problem struck (a flood - had to deal w/insurance, cleaning up, etc.), WOW did it knock me off my feet. What would have been an annoyance during a regular semester was a nightmare during the summer since missing even one day of class is really problematic and the next exam is upon you as soon as you've finished bubbling in the previous one, it seems. I was a basketcase. I managed to scrape by w/an acceptable grade, was glad to have it done with, but w/my sanity barely intact. Friends taking chem & physics also found it very challenging.

I'm not saying don't do it -you do what you have to, but steel yourself, and try to hand off other responsibilities to others to the degree possible.
#32 of 58 Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM

I love 5 and 8 week courses, and I always have a higher average. I chose to take Organic over the summer because I normally take 6 classes a semester and one class over five weeks would be a relief for me. I am not taking any other classes, and if I do it will be dance or some random PE class, maybe swimming.

Unless my plans fail I am going to Atlanta for the Summer to stay with my mother. I will have a live in baby sitter and a sister with a Dog to amuse my two year old.

Thanks for the warning!

If I remained at home with my DH I would lose my mind. My Mother cooks nightly and my sister has to clean. Yes I will help, but unlike at home all of the responsibility will not fall on me.

+ + =
#33 of 58 Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 AM

Hi all. I'm a 4th year med student on LOA after the birth of ds, my second child. After much soul-searching, I'll be applying for gen surg this coming year.

My daughter was born at the end of 2nd year, after which I took a year off. She nursed until she was 3, just before ds was born. DS will be a bit younger than dd was when I go back, so I'm going to start storing pumped milk soon. As much as I hate pumping, I'm glad to already know he'll take a bottle. I have the time (4th year decel), so I'm considering doing research for the first few months back. That ought to make the return a bit easier, as my schedule won't be as hectic as later in the year during subinternships and aways.

Any other surgery-oriented moms?
#34 of 58 Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 AM

Has anyone here bf during their intern year? DH and I are planning on trying to start a family in few months. : If all goes as planned, I would give birth early in my 4th year. I VERY much want to breastfeed for at least 2 years, but I'm really wondering if I'll be able to keep up with pumping with the insane schedule that interns have. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the issue?

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#35 of 58 Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 AM

I'm not even in med school yet, so I can't speak specifically about intern year, but I can tell you that nursing a toddler is totally different than nursing an infant. When my DD was young and still nursing, I was WOHM full-time and traveled a few times for business. I was gone 5 days at a time and didn't pump while I was gone. DD ate enough solid food that she didn't require pumped milk while I was gone. When I came home, she picked up nursing like nothing ever happened. She would miss nursing while I was gone, but she never cried about it. . .she just waited patiently for my return.

So, I will say that if you can't pump, or can't pump as often as you'd like, it doesn't mean that you won't be able to keep nursing. Your milk will be well established by then and it's not unreasonable to think that you can just nurse when you're home and that's it. Your LO hopefully will be eating enough solids by then that a day or two without milk won't be the end of the world.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#36 of 58 Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 AM

Thanks, Crazydiamond. That makes me feel better about being able to breastfeed long term. My LO (if all goes as planned) should be about a year when I start my internship, so the bfing relationship will be well established by that point. I still plan to pump, but given the hectic life of an intern, I don't know that I'll be able to do it on a regular schedule, so I was kinda worried about that, kwim?

Are you starting med school this upcoming year? If so, good luck! I'm in the crazy, hectic process of studying for Step 1 right now, and then 3rd year starts in just a couple weeks. I'm kinda nervous, but after being stuck in a classroom for 2 years, I think I'm ready for the change!

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#37 of 58 Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 AM

I was a fellow while pumping regularly for about 18 months, but know of several residents who continued to pump - one an intern in ob/gyn, who pumped until 9 months, others until 6 months, and then several 3rd and 4th year residents over time, one who pumped until 15 months. It can be done - just takes being a little creative in your pumping locations and a committment to carrying that pump all around the hospital If your child will be almost 1 when you start internship, you'll do great. Perhaps just bring a pump along for comfort/supply when you're on call (which is what I still do now as an attending with my 2.5 year old... switched to a manual pump at about 22 months).

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#38 of 58 Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks rrible! I feel much better about everything. I'm glad to know it can be done, especially in ob/gyn because that is one of the specialties I am most interested, and from what I understand it is also one of the most demanding residencies.

#39 of 58 Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM

I am a second (almost 3rd-yay) year resident. Just wanted to give reassurance it can be done even intern year. I had my daughter February of intern year, had 8 weeks at home and am still breastfeeding my 15 month old. My first couple months back were q4 call. My second year is much easier, with call in the hospital about 1x/week... still painfully long days of course.

I was able to pump enough to give nothing but breastmilk for the 1st 6 months, and no other liquids besides maybe 2 oz water out of a regular cup with meals after that (which was mostly for her to practice cup drinking and to play with). I still pump once a day to keep up my supply for my nowhere near weaning daughter. And I pump more often if I have overnight call, because we cosleep and I am used to her nursing 3+ times overnight. I know it has been harder for some of my colleagues to keep up their supply and or energy to pump but several have continued pumping for 6 months or so and my chief last year breastfed several months past a year.

My program director is relatively supportive (my specialty is relatively supportive) so I think that helps, but basically I just never acted with anyone like pumping was optional. I acted like I expected to be able to pump, and it was always just a matter of finding space/time to pump. There were definitely days we had an unstable patient or if I were in the middle of a procedure or a busy office session that I had to wait longer than I was comfortable, but on those days, I would just pump when I could at work and then try to add an extra pumping (pump the other side while the baby nursed) at home.

We survived so far by basically committing to nothing besides work and family, by only breastfeeding (never bottle feeding) when we are together, and very rarely doing anything without my daughter when I do have free time. I have also worked on efficiency in my office hours so I can get done on time and when my program is breaking duty hours, I bring it up rather than look the other way as some residents do, because I have priorities besides just being a good team player.

Feel free to PM me if you want any advice! It can definitely be done.
#40 of 58 Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM

hi mamas...just found this old thread! i will grad med school this may. dd was born my 2nd year...which i finished and then took LOA for 1 year to be home with her. ds was born in my 3rd year. dd was EBF (and then BF) till age 22 mo. ds is still going strong. pumping went really well...now he only nurses 3 - 4 times a day(night) so i havn't been pumping.

glad to see other MD mamas!

i am a little nervous about intern year...but our program (psych) is not anything like surg.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#41 of 58 Old 02-06-2010, 03:53 AM

Hi-

I'm almost done interviewing now. I am so nervous! I feel like all the time off has left me forgetting the most basic of things. Mommy brain has not been easy, and it feels like it's not getting any better. I'm doing an SICU away right now, and while I've done more of this stuff than any of the other students, I'm having trouble even with progress notes. Yikes! I've got to do some major self-analysis to get all my ducks in a row for residency.

Anyone else working on their rank order list? Fun fun.
#42 of 58 Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds07 View Post
Hi everyone I'm not a physician, I'm a dentist and a 2nd year periodontics resident. I have a 16m/o who was born 1 month into my first year of residency. I'm acutally not totally happy with my choice to do a residency with a baby. I wish I would have taken time off and/or not done the residency at all (not required for dentistry). Everyone kind of suggested some time off (ie not starting residency), but I didn't really listen, and now I wish I would have. I've still got 2 more years, plus a 1 year full time teaching committment to pay back a scholarship, so I feel like I will never get to be home I'm definitely taking off a year after all of my time is paid back and then I'm going back very part time (like 2 days/wk). I'm in a group of all single male residents and all male attendings, so that doesn't help much...
Hi there! I'm in general practice and work 2 days a week. It is fantastic! My DH is a periodontist and owns his own practice. We both feel that one small business owner in the family is enough - and there is plenty that I do to help out with his practice as well as taking care of the LO's so the two days is just right!

I had my DD in my second year of my GPR. Luckily we only had in house call the first year! And the director of the residency was nice enough that they let me take 8 weeks leave and not make any time up when I was done!

Would love to know where you got your doctorate and where you are a resident. The perio world is so small I am sure we must know some of the same people! If you ever want to chat - PM me.
#43 of 58 Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Hello! I'm surprised to see this thread on here, but hoping to "meet" a few more mamas in a similar situation. I'm an MD, have been in practice for almost 3 years after a 4 yr residency and 1 yr fellowship (pathology/cytopathology). Thanks to my chosen career field, my schedule is really good -- I work 4 days a week, about 5 hrs each day. I still miss my LO when we're not together, though. It's been tough at times feeling like I'm not the best mom or the best pathologist, but I'm doing the best I can do. DS is still BF -- I pump 2 times a day when I'm not with him and he takes bottles then. We have a nanny, so she works with my flexible schedule and I don't have to deal with wasted time getting him to/from daycare, etc, so it is definitely a luxury that has been worth it for us.

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#44 of 58 Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3rd year resident in psychiatry here. Hi everyone!

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#45 of 58 Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Starting surgery internship next week. Fingers crossed that I chose the right program!
#46 of 58 Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 AM

I'm a practicing neonatologist (MD, IBLCE) and I was excited to find this thread. Interesting how many students/residents have posted and how few attending physicians. I wonder if it is a function of age or a sadder reflection of how medical training changes us.

I found my balance by working a part-time position and learning to be unapologetic about my lack of ambition. I love what I do and don't need to add research, presentation, nothing. Just want to work, keep up with my field, and be with my family as much as possible.
#47 of 58 Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeEllen View Post
I'm a practicing neonatologist (MD, IBLCE) and I was excited to find this thread. Interesting how many students/residents have posted and how few attending physicians. I wonder if it is a function of age or a sadder reflection of how medical training changes us.

I found my balance by working a part-time position and learning to be unapologetic about my lack of ambition. I love what I do and don't need to add research, presentation, nothing. Just want to work, keep up with my field, and be with my family as much as possible.
I love this -- learning to be unapologetic about lack of ambition. I'm the same way. I'm very happy just doing my work, and I enjoy it and keep up, but am out of there as soon as I'm done!

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#48 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all, logging on this evening for first time in over 1 year, I think that pretty much describes my intern year. But I survived!
#49 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM

How did you do it?? I'm in my fourth month of internship and am absolutely hating it. My first month was ok, but it's been downhill ever since. My program is toxic. I'm seriously considering quitting to be a SAHM- if it weren't for my loans I already would have. I'm feeling so bad about medicine right now that I can't remember why I wanted to do it in the first place. I'm starting to look for PGY2 spots at less toxic environments than I'm in now. But at this point, I don't know if I'll make it that long. I REALLY want to spend more time with my family, and REALLY would like to have another kid, and my career path really won't allow for either. Maybe I should just spend the rest of my life becoming my femivore ideal...
#50 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

KTinNYC, any interest in becoming a shrink? I highly recommend psychiatry for family-friendliness. Psych is an easy match and takes a lot of transfers from other specialties. We had someone come into our PGY-2 class from a surgery internship last year.

Vaccines save lives.

#51 of 58 Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hi KTinNYC,
What type of residency are you doing? I think you said Surgery? I'm Internal Medicine. Intern year is just plain awful, it was the worst year of my life. I felt like my life was falling apart, and wanted to quit so many times. I had a major breakdown in the middle of the year. You are not alone.
Here's what worked for me:
-Lower your expectations. Like way lower. My mantra for intern year became:survival and just getting by. I took good care of my patients when I was at work and when not at work I spent time with my daughter or slept. I literally did not do anything else. I did not read or study, I did not clean my house, I did not send birthday cards to my nieces and nephews .
-Keep them (the patients) alive till morning
-what really helped me was to try to focus on the good things I had. That my daughter was lucky to have such a strong role model, that I was lucky to have both a rewarding career and a family.
-Talk to your co-interns about how miserable you are. I finally did and so many positive things came out of it. I think the worst part of intern year is feeling so alone so if you can find some support and reach out to others that may help.
Feel free to PM me! It is so tough!
#52 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Just had a feeling...so tested this morning and found out I AM PREGNANT! Hurray! In other news, I start a month of q3 call in the ICU on Monday. This should be very interesting....

#53 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Congrats medmom7! 

#54 of 58 Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 AM

bumping for Triinity

Vaccines save lives.

#55 of 58 Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks for bumping joy.gif

I´ll come back later!

(Does anyone know of cool blog from mothers in medicine?)

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#56 of 58 Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM

So delighted to find this thread! I've been mostly lurking here at MDC and never came across any other mom-MDs.

Triniity, I highly recommend the group blog Mothers in Medicine.

#57 of 58 Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Finding strength?

Currently 34 weeks along and on an extremely busy and challenging inpatient service. Am not getting a day off this week. Feels like every muscle in my body is aching, terrible heartburn, very tired, and also having difficulty controlling anxiety. Spending any free time I have at home with my daughter. Husband doing best he can but it is hard on him too to have to manage the house on his own while I am gone so he doesn't have a whole lot of support left in him by the time I get home. Not sure how I am going to make it through the next 4 weeks on this service. Looking around and inside for source of strength and not finding much :(

#58 of 58 Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM

hang in there medmom! i just had my second kiddo 6 weeks ago and work full time as an ob/gyn (luckily am able to take a proper 12 week maternity leave this time around). we do physically and emotionally demanding work so it's important to take care of yourself!  what i tell our residents when they ask for advice is to put themselves first whenever possible - most things are not a true emergency and can wait 5 minutes while you eat, pee, or make that phone call home to say goodnight to your kid - but if you don't just do it yourself, no one is going to tell you to.

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page