Physician mothers tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other medical moms out there? Either in med school/residency/and beyond? I'm a med student mom about to embark upon residency and would love to have a few people to turn to for advice/support.:::
#2 of 58 Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Working and Student Mothers.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 58 Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I am a residency survivor. It was my DH that was the resident, but now we are just over the other side. I am an NP/nursing professor.
#4 of 58 Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm a Family Physician, mother of two.

Welcome to MDC, medmom7!

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
#5 of 58 Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Not there yet. I'm just starting this crazy journey and will be applying next cycle.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#6 of 58 Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 AM

Hey! I went to med school in the Netherlands, residency in US (internal medicine), worked for 6 years in a Community Health Center. Moved to Belgium 2.5 years ago and work with a pharmaceutical company now. Currently debating whether or not to return to clinical practice.
Medmom, what residency are you entering into?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#7 of 58 Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 AM

doctor
mother of one
Dh is doc too
only work part time so I can watch my baby grow
She was born my first year of practice

wife & holistic mama of 1 girl, 1 boy and 1 :
#8 of 58 Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM

I'm a veterinarian and my husband is an Ophthalmology resident.

I find it hard to balance the crunchiness and medicine at times and therefore often end up somewhere hovering in the middle all by myself.....anyone else?
#9 of 58 Old 11-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Hi Michelle!!!

I agree with you on finding the middle ground.
#10 of 58 Old 11-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi! I wondered if it was you!
#11 of 58 Old 11-07-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Nice to meet all of you! If anyone has suggestions for balancing family with patient care while also finding time to keep up with current research I'd love to hear them.

MicheleVet, I definitely hear you about the middle ground.
#12 of 58 Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM

2nd year family med resident here with an 8 month old daughter and lucky to have a husband who stays home with the babe while attempting to write a dissertation...

i feel very countercultural with people at work, but also as a working (overworking) mom don't quite fit in the the crunchy stay at home moms who share a lot of our values. glad to see there are some other physician/medical moms on here!
#13 of 58 Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM

I am not going to be an MD, but I got JUST got accepted into a very good P.A. program next August. I am a stay at home mom right now and work as an Rn on Fridays and Saturdays while DH watches the girls. I am VERY nervous about starting school because I don't want to leave them. They will be with my MIL who is retired and the ONLY one who has ever watched them other than DH. Anyway, looking forward to expanding my scope
ishereal likes this.
#14 of 58 Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Good to see this thread... I'm an ob/gyn in an academic setting and mom to one. it's good to see others who are trying to find the balance between mothering and medicine.

I think as an ob/gyn and a teacher I also find it particularly hard to find balance between my crunchier side and what other docs are used to doing... like intermittent monitoring in labor or not forcing the woman who was 42 weeks with a perfectly healthy baby (normal fetal testing) to have an induction or sign out AMA. the residents looked at me like i was crazy. she did just fine when she came in in labor a few days later.

what other challenges are people facing as physician moms? one of my biggest right now is unpredictability in schedule... like when a 3:30 case gets bumped to 5pm and DH is unexpectedly on daddy duty all evening. he does ok when he's prepared for it but i really hear the fatigue and disappointment in his voice when it's unexpected or cuts into family time.

medmom7, i see you're in Los Angeles as well... PM me if you're interested in connecting further. I'm at UCLA

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#15 of 58 Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Does anyone mind if I join in? I'm not a physician yet. I'm a 2nd year medical student with two daughters and a son on the way.

I'm the only mother in my class which makes relating to my classmates difficult at times.
#16 of 58 Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Bag View Post
Does anyone mind if I join in? I'm not a physician yet. I'm a 2nd year medical student with two daughters and a son on the way.

I'm the only mother in my class which makes relating to my classmates difficult at times.
Oh boy I bet that can be tough. Maybe you can teach THEM a thing or two though I am also in the minority with my classmates as I am older (27) and a mother.
#17 of 58 Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
I am not going to be an MD, but I got JUST got accepted into a very good P.A. program next August. I am a stay at home mom right now and work as an Rn on Fridays and Saturdays while DH watches the girls. I am VERY nervous about starting school because I don't want to leave them. They will be with my MIL who is retired and the ONLY one who has ever watched them other than DH. Anyway, looking forward to expanding my scope

I'm looking into PA as a career choice as soon as I finish my current degree in a health-related field--I hope this doesn't take it off target. How are PAs viewed by physician's? Are they respected? I can imagine that they may be looked down upon, but I don't know. Has anyone been through the program? I'd love to hear about it from someone who has btdt.
#18 of 58 Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 AM

Subbing to this. I have my interview at my local medical school in January and an interview for a nurse-midwife program at Yale in January. Decisions decisions. Just now trying to figure out exactly what it is that I want to do - do I go to med school or become a nurse-midwife?

Sigh....

I'm interested in reading everyone's experiences who have btdt.
#19 of 58 Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearyCloud View Post
I'm looking into PA as a career choice as soon as I finish my current degree in a health-related field--I hope this doesn't take it off target. How are PAs viewed by physician's? Are they respected? I can imagine that they may be looked down upon, but I don't know. Has anyone been through the program? I'd love to hear about it from someone who has btdt.
I actually already have my PA position lined up. I will be working for my Ob/Gyn when I graduate. From my experiences, PAs are viewed as partners in healthcare, they work with physicians to manage healthcare. My Ob wants a PA to join him and knows I will be completing the program so I am on board as soon as I finish. I don't know WHY they would be looked down upon. I can't imagine why they would?
#20 of 58 Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 AM

Anyone mind if I lurk here? I'm a 2nd year med student, but not a mama yet (but hopefully next year this time I will be preggo!) I've been really concerned with how I'm going to be able to balance residency and a LO. I'm always interested to see how others have managed, especially when it comes to practicing AP and extended BFing.

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#21 of 58 Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl28 View Post
Anyone mind if I lurk here? I'm a 2nd year med student, but not a mama yet (but hopefully next year this time I will be preggo!) I've been really concerned with how I'm going to be able to balance residency and a LO. I'm always interested to see how others have managed, especially when it comes to practicing AP and extended BFing.
I haven't done medical school with a newborn yet and also haven't started clinical stuff yet so I can't really give too many tips - but so far the main thing I've done is be home with my kids as often as I can. I study at home instead of at school and frequently have two kids snuggled up with me while I'm reading. BF'ing will be a challenge for me this time - I was a SAHM until DD2 was two years old so I never had to pump or be away for more than a couple hours at a time. Hopefully when I start rotations, the residents/attendings won't mind too much when I need to take breaks to pump. I'm also worried about DS being willing to take bottles and breastfeed since both of my girls refused bottles.

I'm on bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy which is going to make the beginning of this semester very interesting. My dean has given me the option of spending a year doing research if it gets impossible to keep up with classes at home. I am really debating just deciding to switch to this now. On one hand, I'd love to be home more often during DS's first year and have him be over a year old by the time I start clinical rotations. Plus research would certainly help when I apply for residency. On the other hand, it's an extra year accumulating debt and part of me just wants to get it over with! Anyone have any thoughts on this?
#22 of 58 Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Bag View Post
I haven't done medical school with a newborn yet and also haven't started clinical stuff yet so I can't really give too many tips - but so far the main thing I've done is be home with my kids as often as I can. I study at home instead of at school and frequently have two kids snuggled up with me while I'm reading. BF'ing will be a challenge for me this time - I was a SAHM until DD2 was two years old so I never had to pump or be away for more than a couple hours at a time. Hopefully when I start rotations, the residents/attendings won't mind too much when I need to take breaks to pump. I'm also worried about DS being willing to take bottles and breastfeed since both of my girls refused bottles.

I'm on bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy which is going to make the beginning of this semester very interesting. My dean has given me the option of spending a year doing research if it gets impossible to keep up with classes at home. I am really debating just deciding to switch to this now. On one hand, I'd love to be home more often during DS's first year and have him be over a year old by the time I start clinical rotations. Plus research would certainly help when I apply for residency. On the other hand, it's an extra year accumulating debt and part of me just wants to get it over with! Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks for all the info. I totally think the first couple of years in med school are conducive to being a mom and spending a decent amount of time with your kids. I've said several times to DH that it is too bad we didn't start our family sooner because I pretty much always study at home, and I don't usually go to lecture, so I spend a lot of time at home already (not always studying like I should be!)

Sorry to hear you're on bedrest now. I think the research option is really good one, but like you said, it puts another year between you and graduation, not to mention the extra monetary cost. But, at the same time, research won't do anything but give you a leg up when it comes to the match, and you won't have a newborn and dealing with your 3rd year of medical school, which we all know is notorious for being the most time-consuming year. If you can finish up your second year and take Step 1 and then do research for a year and then start your 3rd year, that sounds like a pretty decent option. Can't wait to hear what you decide to do!

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#23 of 58 Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Hi everyone I'm not a physician, I'm a dentist and a 2nd year periodontics resident. I have a 16m/o who was born 1 month into my first year of residency. I'm acutally not totally happy with my choice to do a residency with a baby. I wish I would have taken time off and/or not done the residency at all (not required for dentistry). Everyone kind of suggested some time off (ie not starting residency), but I didn't really listen, and now I wish I would have. I've still got 2 more years, plus a 1 year full time teaching committment to pay back a scholarship, so I feel like I will never get to be home I'm definitely taking off a year after all of my time is paid back and then I'm going back very part time (like 2 days/wk). I'm in a group of all single male residents and all male attendings, so that doesn't help much...
#24 of 58 Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Subbing to this. I have my interview at my local medical school in January and an interview for a nurse-midwife program at Yale in January. Decisions decisions. Just now trying to figure out exactly what it is that I want to do - do I go to med school or become a nurse-midwife?

Sigh....

I'm interested in reading everyone's experiences who have btdt.
kimij: I went to NP school at Yale and did the GEPN program (which I assume is what you would be doing since it doesn't sound like you're a RN). Feel free to PM me if you have questions!

Trying to get my bearings...
#25 of 58 Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post
kimij: I went to NP school at Yale and did the GEPN program (which I assume is what you would be doing since it doesn't sound like you're a RN). Feel free to PM me if you have questions!
Great! I pm'd you
#26 of 58 Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Is it okay if I join here? I am still working on my pre-reqs and will be applying in a year and a half. I did a apprenticeship with a cpm and it made me want to go to med school so that I could more completely care for my patients (and be a legal practitioner in my state I am 26 and have a 21 month old son. My dh just quit his job to be a sahd while I finish my education

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#27 of 58 Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Welcome Autumn. How nice that your DH is going to be a SAHD!

I decided to take a year to do research. It'll be a huge plus when I apply to residencies and I will have a nice low-key first year with the new baby. It's a lot of lost money, but in the long run I doubt we will really notice it. And spending more time with DS his first year will be worth it! Of course, I didn't really have much choice. My perinatologist was really urging me to take the time off and one of my course coordinators was not being particularly understanding and her course had a lot of mandatory hospital activities that she wouldn't allow me to make-up after the baby is born. I am still going to take three classes this semester, start a research project that I will continue through the summer and Fall semester and then finish three other classes a year from now before taking Step 1 and starting 3rd year. I'll be busy, just not *as* busy as I would have been.
#28 of 58 Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

How long do you all breastfeed your LOs? I will be starting residency when my DD is a little over 1 year old (she is 8mo now). I had thought I'd wean her after 1 year of BFing but maybe I should just keep on with it until she decides to stop BFing on her own? Would love to hear what other med moms did....
#29 of 58 Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

my son will be two in april and he still nurses when I'm home. I've always known that I wanted to nurse him until at least two. Now I'm kind of hoping he starts self weaning soon after he turns two because I'm starting to feel done with it which I didn't expect.

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#30 of 58 Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Am I welcome here?

I am a Nutrition major completing my premed requirements. I am deciding if I want to 1) wait and take Organic Chemistry next summer and apply for 2012 admissions or

2) Take Organic I Spring 2010, Organic II first summer semester and take the MCAT in July or

3) take 7 classes each semester during 2009-2010 year and take the MCAT in April or May.

Decisions, decisions.

I am trying to complete a 5 year program in 4 year in addition to completing the required classes for med school entry.
If I chose option two I would complete my med school requirements in August 2010, but not graduate until December 2011 instead of may. I would then spend the fall of 2010 and spring of 2011 studying for the MCAT and apply for admissions in 2012 one semester and a summer after I graduate.

Everyone and every advice site says that it is best to take the MCAT in April. If I did take the MCAT in August 2010 would it be too late to apply for 2011 admissions?

If anyone can answer my questions, please do.

Oh, I have a husband and a two year old son. I am interested in perinatology.

+ + =

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page