T-shirts with slogans - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old is too old to wear t-shirts with slogans/sayings?
no one should 26 12.87%
16-18 5 2.48%
19-21 4 1.98%
22-26 21 10.40%
27-30 20 9.90%
you're never too old 126 62.38%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was watching What Not to Wear (guilty pleasure) and they seem really against t-shirts with sayings or slogans. This got me thinking since I'm 23 and have a few. How old is too old to wear them to you?

obstruct livery vehicles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 PM

I have some too.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Yes I have a few as well. I think it's ok for any age to wear them, as long as you have some non-slogan shirts too.
#4 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I used to have some (politically charged ones), but by the time I hit my late 20s they just felt innapropriate. I'm not one to succumb to societal pressures for things like dress, but I think I had just reached a point in my life when my opinion of issues became too complex to summarize in a single statement.
#5 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM

Im 32 now and would feel very uncomfortable wearing them. I have even stopped wearing screen printed vintage tees. But evidently Im not too old for bright red hair.
#6 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM

I voted never too old. I think it depends on your personality, though. Some people would never wear them regardless of age, but for some, it can be fun.
#7 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Apart from band shirts when I was a teen, never been my thing ... I went with "no one should" just because there's no age in which I personally can imagine not feeling silly with a slogan on my chest, but I don't really mean to be that "bah humbug" about it for everyone else.
#8 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Apart from band shirts when I was a teen, never been my thing ... I went with "no one should" just because there's no age in which I personally can imagine not feeling silly with a slogan on my chest, but I don't really mean to be that "bah humbug" about it for everyone else.
That's how I feel as well. I also don't want to direct people's eyes and attention to my chest. Kinda weirds me out...

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#9 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Hmm, I never thought about it. I'm 25 and wear them. Am I too old? I don't really care if I am though.
#10 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM

22-26

I never really wore that many screen print tees even when I was in high school and college. I have a few now but I mostly wear them around the house or in the gym. I don't really care if other people wear them but I feel old wearing them a ton, and I am 26 so that's why I voted that.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#11 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 06:18 PM

i'm 34 and i've just noticed recently that i'm not comfortable wearing t-shirts with logos anymore. i don't think i've worn one in a year or two at least. my husband hasn't worn one in a long time either, but he would never wear a company logo, just band t-shirts or tie dyes.
#12 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm 28, and I doubt I'll ever give up my slogan shirts. I could keep www.mushycat.com in business singlehandedly -- if I were rich anyway!!

I get tons of compliments and get to talk to some really neat people when I wear my abortion rights, political, atheist, peace, and anti-adoption shirts. I do *have* other clothes, but I don't enjoy wearing them nearly as much as I enjoy my slogan shirts.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#13 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 PM

I'm 40, and I'd wear them if I found any I liked. I still wear concert Ts quite a bit. Rules about what ages groups can wear what clothes make my head hurt.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

I think they are awesome, depending on what they are. There are ones that are truly tacky IMO and I would totally judge someone and talk with my girlfriends behind their back if I saw one, while rolling my eyes.

One like, "proud MILF" or whatever comes to mind.

Concert t-shirts, witty humor (but not trashy like above), advocacywear, and whatever is all good with me.

I saw a t-shirt on a 2 year old little girl today that said "my mom is hotter than your mom" and the mom was wearing one that said "my daughter is prettier than your daughter" and just... wow.
#15 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It really depends on what kind of slogan and what kind of things the person is doing while wearing the slogan t-shirts.

I have no objection to wearing such shirts while sleeping or lounging around, or while engaging in physical labor or something messy. I see no reason that a 40yo working at home shouldn't wear a slogan t-shirt while working at his or her computer.

Somebody working in a job where they need to look "neat and professional" should wear "neat and professional" kinds of clothes at work, which IMO do not include slogan T-shirts (unless the slogan was the company uniform or related to the company's business in some way.)

In general, I don't wear that kind of t-shirt or select it for my children because I think they look kind of sloppy and it's not the image I want to present. It's just not "my look." If any of my kids WANTED a specific slogan t-shirt, my answer would depend on the specific slogan and the overall fit of the t-shirt. So far it hasn't come up- my daughters dont' really like the look of the slogan shirts either and DS hasn't yet taken much interest in his clothing.

I think teens and college students can "get away with a sloppier look" more than older people/people in certain professions. But I can't put a specific age on it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#16 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
I saw a t-shirt on a 2 year old little girl today that said "my mom is hotter than your mom" and the mom was wearing one that said "my daughter is prettier than your daughter" and just... wow.
Yeah... double wow. Wow.
#17 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM

I have a couple I wear.

I have one with Zelda on it...another that says "It will be a wonderful day when the schools have all the money they need and the air force has to hold a bakesale to buy a bomber." plus another couple. My son had one that said "I do my own stunts" (it fits him, he's accident prone) my DD has a couple cutsie ones that random relatives on DH's side bought us (I'm my Daddy's princess, I have my prince, his name is Daddy)

I don't see anything wrong with them, so long as they aren't totally offensive...and the "I'm so hott" shirts on 10 y/os bug me. I saw one on an older teen (I'd guess 16/17) that said "Jailbait" it made me

I bought my friends DH one that says "I do whatever the voices in my wife's head tell me to do."

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#18 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Concert t-shirts, witty humor (but not trashy like above), advocacywear, and whatever is all good with me.
DS1's favourite t-shirt for a year or so said, "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." I kind of liked it...I don't think it's really all that witty, but it does appeal to my sense of humour, and I think it's about as inoffensive as it gets.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#19 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
Yeah... double wow. Wow.
Make that a triple. Gross.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#20 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 PM

I am 42 and would totally wear one if I liked it I actually have never thought that one could be too old....

Whatever will be, already is...

#21 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
I saw one on an older teen (I'd guess 16/17) that said "Jailbait" it made me
Wow. If I showed up at 16 wearing that I think my mom would have cut it off of me (and I could wear pretty much whatever I wanted then).

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#22 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM

I also meant to mention that my mom wears t-shirts with writing on them. I don't know if I'd call it "slogans" or not, but they definitely have writing on them. She's 65 in a couple of weeks.

#23 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 PM

I am 27 and wear them I keep saying maybe I am to old but I just love them and buy them anyway!
#24 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM

I am 27 and stopped wearing them a couple of years ago mainly because my boobs are too big now to fit them, and most of them were rude. I would still if I found one I liked.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#25 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 PM

I truly despise that show. Truly. Who is anybody to tell anybody else what to wear/what not to wear? Ugh. Pure arrogance/elitism.

No age is too old to wear anything. Down with age segregation!
#26 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Your never to old! Ever. Ever. Ever!

I have a couple of shirts with slogans. My favourite one I can't say cause it would be a UAV, but it's funny (even if it's technically a woman's shirt).

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#27 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wear 'em if you want, as long as you want.

I've recently started feeling a bit iffy about wearing them, and I'm the ripe old age of 22; but I wouldn't bat an eyelid at an older person wearing them. Some of the slogans do get on my nerves, though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#28 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjuniverse View Post
I truly despise that show. Truly. Who is anybody to tell anybody else what to wear/what not to wear? Ugh. Pure arrogance/elitism.
I've never seen it. Just the concept makes my head hurt. I'm kind of...anti-fashion, I think. I don't mean to be, but it seems to be the way I'm wired.

#29 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM

ok... I like What not to wear. Haven't watched it in quite a while tho. If someone nominated me, I'd go on the show in a heartbeat - I'm a walking fashion faux pas... and I'd like not to be. It would be nice to have someone bring me up to speed on style and sizing and tailoring... my biggest beef with them is the shoes (high-heels) that they seem to prefer. :

All that said, I'd have to hide my graphic tees. I refuse to give up my fairies and Green Man t-shirts. I won't wear them when I'm in a professional situation, but at home with the kids they are my uniform. I don't do much for t-shirts with slogans on them, but would if I found one that I really liked.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#30 of 78 Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM

I really don't like the show. For one thing, the idea that you have to look great all the time is insane. I am big on fashion, but even I have the old, unflattering, unfashionable, very VERY comfortable clothes that I wear sometimes and to the WNTW people if I so much as check the mail in those clothes I've commited some sort of crime. Bah! I'm not getting dressed up to check the mail. Heck sometimes I don't even get dressed to check the mail. Just head out there in my pj's.

I also think some of their rules are over the top or in some cases, based more on legalities. I do this they like eyesores though. Seriously... Some of the outfits I've seen (I admit I don't watch often) are a headache waiting to happen but apperently good fashion.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page