do you facebook? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just curious...

I am a part-time work-out-of-home/part time sahm to 2 lovebugs. dh is full time out of home worker. we have very little free time. when we have it, we sleep or have sex.

we are constantly told by friends that we must join facebook, but it just seems like a chore to me.

So, am I the only 34 year old mom of two not on facebook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 AM

I just joined within the past couple of months.

Interesting, but not mandatory

-Angela
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 AM

I LOVE it! But it's a total time waster.

Proud Mama of M (11/6/06), wife to T (7/31/04) and teacher of 23 first graders
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 AM

Nope, not here either. No desire to.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 AM

I am on to stay up on my sister's lives. They are away at college and that is where they post all the fun stuff they do.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 AM

It is a great way to connect with those in your past; especially if all of your friends and family are spread out!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisrio View Post
I LOVE it! But it's a total time waster.
:

i like it because i no longer have to e-mail photos and updates of dd. anyone who's interested can check out my facebook page.

i also like it because i've reconnected with some folks from my past who i may not have otherwise.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 AM

i do, i enjoy it. i think it's fun to catch up with old friend and get updates on family that isn't local

Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 AM

It's not a must, but it is kind of fun. Catching up with old classmates, people from your past that you wouldn't run into otherwise... that's amusing.

It does use up a lot of time if you let it, so you need to be cautious.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM

It has brought new depth to my relationships - of all kinds - with people from all parts of my past....my husband and I are both really enjoying keeping up with people in our lives this way. I also stay very close to other moms in my life through Facebook. As a working mama with very little spare time, it is a great way to learn how they and their children are doing (and keep up visually with growing children through photos and videos!).

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 AM

I'm from Massachusetts but went to college in Canada. After college, I lost touch with some of my best friends who were also international students. The *only* place I could find them and reconnect was Facebook.

It was all great until one of my cousins told my MIL to get one. ARGH!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

I really enjoy it as a way to keep in touch with my friends all over the world & their kids - although it does have the potential to be a huge time vacuum.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM

There are people in my past who I am very content to leave behind. After my last high school reunion, I reconnected with a few people, but it never went anywhere, and I'm happy to leave that part of my life behind. I also have an ex-husband, and I know he's very active on facebook, and I have no desire to reconnect with him or any of his acquaintances. Some of my current friends are on it, and they've suggested I join, but I don't really want to. I guess I'm sort of protective of my privacy.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM

I do, but only sporadically. It's definitely a time waster, as a previous poster mentioned. I don't know where people find the time to be on there so much- My cousin seriously posts a new update like every 10 minutes!

And that's the other thing.. I got it to keep up with friends & stuff, but my family has invaded and now it's like a constant family reunion. UGH.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollineeba View Post
I do, but only sporadically. It's definitely a time waster, as a previous poster mentioned. I don't know where people find the time to be on there so much- My cousin seriously posts a new update like every 10 minutes!
Do they have the facebook app on their blackberry or iPhone or other handheld device?

It could be a time suck, but it doesn't have to be. I really have to work at it by playing word twist or scramble or something. Otherwise I don't find much to do there, other than read a friend's update or comment on a status, which doesn't take much time.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM

I like it. I like being able to contact my friends all in one place and it's more fun than email.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM

I use it more for networking than anything else. And if you have a small business, it is a great tool. I have connected with some people from my past that I wouldn't have likely connected with otherwise. Mostly it's good for fluff stuff, but I wouldn't get too personal, it's still the internet.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I held out as long as i could... I joined a couple of weeks ago intending to only have family members on it... I think I have 46 friends already :

It's not my fault! People just FIND you somehow. But I haven't found it to be a time waster. It's pretty easy to just ignore it and let other people do the time wasting stuff.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

FB and MDC - I go back and forth during the day. I've found childhood friends that I haven't seen in over 20 years and come to find out that they live 20 miles from me!! I'm also reconnecting with some old high school girlfriends on FB that I haven't seen in almost 13 years, they're all still local, AND they're all mamas now!! :
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

no, I don't facebook or myspace. I don't have the time, and honestly-I really don't like the abbreviated, wierd interaction I've seen there.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Yep, love it. Most of my friends and family are on there and it's an instant and easy way to see photos, get updates, email and chat with them. Plus there are way too many addictive word games on there.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
There are people in my past who I am very content to leave behind. After my last high school reunion, I reconnected with a few people, but it never went anywhere, and I'm happy to leave that part of my life behind. I also have an ex-husband, and I know he's very active on facebook, and I have no desire to reconnect with him or any of his acquaintances. Some of my current friends are on it, and they've suggested I join, but I don't really want to. I guess I'm sort of protective of my privacy.
You said it all! I don't think I want to be found by some of these people. They have my phone # Pick up the darn phone if you want to connect! Nobody calls any more.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't facebook. I guess I've signed up twice to see a pic or something, but never went back

Now, Myspace... kinda embarrassing but I am an addict(I may be logged on right now ) Funny cause I used to talk so much crap when DH would check his bands page everyday and get all excited when they'd have nasty girls commenting! :yuck

anyway, now that we moved to a new state from all our friends, I keep in touch with many of them via myspace.

DH doesn't do much with his personal account, though, he's like other's said and would rather someone call him up than send him a glittery comment.

I may have to really check facebook out.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 PM

I just joined last week. It's a total time suck. I love the games on there, though. And I have reconnected with three people from my past and I'm very happy to have had that opportunity.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM

No. I have never registered. All my kids are on it though. I have no desire to talk to my MIL or friends from 25 years ago.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM

I facebook. It has brought a new depth to my already established friendships and it has been fun reconnecting with old friends. I love a few of the games on there. I have an active Scrabble game with my friend in another state.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM

I'm on there maybe about once every week to ten days.. I like it to check in on friends in other areas, see what they are up to, pics of their artwork, kids, whatever, on occasion. Mostly I just wind up logging in when I get an email notification that I have received a message, and use it as a convenient hub to read and reply to messages/letters. I much prefer the personal message feature to any of the shorter, more random commenting features like the "wall" or commenting on photos. Sometimes I sort of feel weird because most of my "facebook friends" are people from high school or whatever that I have nothing in common with and no real reason to talk to, but they are my "friends" and can check up on my profile. So, I want to have it as a space where I can post my artwork and photos and updates on occasion and exchange an occasional message with friends, but it seems hard to feel comfortable using it in that way when it's also this big impersonal network of everyone I've ever crossed paths with, yk? Some days I just want to delete all those "friends" that I haven't see or heard from in years, because really why are they on there? Then maybe I'd use it more often and as a place to consolidate my interactions and updates with friends and family. But then I feel bad deleting everyone because people think that means something and "deleting someone" is such an offensive thing to do in our society lol.. what a weird world. And really, it's not like I lack other means to talk with those I really want to talk with. So I pretty much just avoid it day to day and log on when I have a specific purpose there.

I agree also with those who said that there are some people you just don't want to find you.. not in a bad way, just that it feels sort of contrived to strike up these two sentence encounters with people from the past, and the alternative, having them as "friends" but never really interacting anyways, makes me feel like what is the point!? I have a busy and meaningful life (and am quite happy to have moved on past the trauma of high school lol), and I guess I get more out of using the internet for message board type stuff, exchanging ideas with others who may be "strangers" but who have valuable perspectives and ideas within a certain context (i.e. shared experiences or values- this board for mothering, vegan/vegetarian forums, etc.) as well as lengthier personal exchanges with people who hold a meaningful place in my life, rather than exchanging messages with someone based on random or superficial traits (being born in the same year and winding up at the same large public school etc.) Without a meaningful shared context or topic to discuss, exchanges based on such insignificant overlap of a short span of time or geography seem pointless.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
DS Feb 2009
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Edited to add :

Meh. Apparently I do Facebook. Was just invited by a dear blogging friend, and joined. Found a few other people I know online, too. Some I haven't seen in years. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I use it and can get totally addicted (I WOH). I have no problem just ignoring friend requests from people I don't want to reconnect with, but have thought about changing to my married name on it so that co-workers won't be up on my personal life! It's less easy to ignore a request from a colleague.

It's a really easy and fun way to keep up with people when you're just too darn busy to make phone calls and write long emails to friends. I don't have time to tell all of my friends individually about what's going on with DD, but with FB I can update photos and videos for everyone at once.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Yes I am on everyday. I find the only sit down time I have is at the computer, so I am online in 5 min increments all day long (facebook and MDC). I like the games and I like the fact ex can see/download pics of ds without having to talk to me. I like to see pics of everyone's kids too!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

User Tag List