Neighborhood dog problem.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is getting old. Yesterday, I was standing in the kitchen when I noticed a large rottweiler in the back yard. He saw me through the window and began growling and barking and taking a threatening pose. This was obviously not a friendly dog, and here it was just walking around my backyard where I let my 3 year old play. My brother lives a few houses down, and the neighbors directly behind him are breeding pit bulls, and they are not friendly either. It isn't the breed that is the problem, these dogs are obviously trained to be vicious, which makes me unbelievably sad for the dogs, and also terrified to let my kids play outside. We can not afford to put up a fence that would comply with our neighborhood's covenants, so I am at a loss. There are no decent parks near by, so i don't know what to do. I just want to cry.

Any advice for a mama at her wit's end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 12:55 PM

Call the humane society to pick it up.

stupid people - the friggin pound is FULL of pitbulls. They should just make breeding them illegal. I wonder how many are killed in pounds every year.
#3 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM

oooo that makes me SOOO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres nothing I hate more than irresponsible pet owners!!!

If it were *me* I'd call animal control and raise a stink. Call every time you see that rotty loose and also try to keep a close eye out for that pit breeder....there are usually laws about training to attack people if you aren't licenced or even keep an eye out for if any of those dogs are left out and unattended for long periods. And complain complain complain. The sqeaky wheel gets the grease!!! If they tell you there isn't anything they can do or if they say they didn't see anything when they came out, CALL AGAIN AND AGAIN!!! Pits are VERY sweet and loyal dogs and it drives me mad when I hear about people breeding them to fight or be mean. And a rotty running around loose like that just isn't safe if it was growling at you.

#4 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 01:12 PM

I would call animal control and have him picked up. I agree, rotts and pits aren't bad unless they are bred/trained to be that way. It's so sad that people do that to these dogs. We recently had to put to sleep our 10+ year old rott- he was the best dog, great with the kids.

You shouldn't have to feel scared in your own yard, fence or not, and if he's getting aggressive just looking at you through the window, that's not a good sign.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Banned

Yes yes yes - do complain to animal control. If you know where the problem dogs reside, then identify the residence to animal control. Also, if you are ok with doing so, go to the neighbors in question and discuss the issue with them calmly and coolly but firmly. Let them know that they must keep their animals on their property, and that, if you find them off the property, animal control will pick them up, and/or you'll call the police. Also, if necessary (I found it so here, where we had dangerous dogs loose in the neighborhood and I go running with dd in the jogging stroller), let them know that you carrry pepper spray or mace, and that, while you don't want to spray an animal, you will do so (or anything else necessary - I'd strangle the thing, myself, if it came to violence) if made to defend yourself or children by the dog. In one case, I also wrote a letter detailing all the problems I and two other people and their children had had with their dog to the neighbor and copied it to their housing association (this ultimately took care of the problem). You may not make any friends by taking a more direct approach, but it may make your children safer in the long run.
#6 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

This rott was actually dragging the runner cord he had been on!!! He was huge!!! The owners caught him before I found the number for animal control. The pits have gotten out before, and the owners were given a citation when 2 of them nearly killed my brother's dachsund while he was walking it on a leash. They apparently have a liscense to breed the dogs. It is frightening. I know what it takes to make one of these dogs mean, and it is terrible!!! I wish someone would treat the owners that way for a little while.
#7 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 01:51 PM

I lived in a rural area where a particular rott and pittbull would endlessly wander in my yard. we too couldnt afford a fence. My son loved to play outside, which is why we built there in the first place, and yet these dogs would growl and take an agressive stance. I couldnt go to my mailbox, i couldnt get to my car to pick up the kids, it was awful. We had one of those "supersoaker" water guns...the huge kind that looks like one of those shoulder/rocket fired missle things, and i used to squirt them so i can get to the car or mailbox.

Animal control never did much, but ocassionally they would do "sweeps" and pick up all roaming animals.

The humane society here where i live now does a much better job. like the others said, i also encourage you to give them a call.
#8 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 02:14 PM

Find the number to Animal control and keep it posted next to your phone or on the fridge. We had a dog problem in our neighborhood too. We would call animal control then call our neighbors to call right away too. People were scared to walk around the park and the dogs were killing cats. Our constant calling got their attention and all the dogs got picked up.
Nancy
#9 of 12 Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
ITA with what everyone posted. And even though they came to get the dog, I'd still report it.

I'm currently totally frustrated because the next door neighbors son moved in with his two pits, which have been out regularly and we all have block wall fences here. Animal control picked them up at least once that I know of. They arne't friendly either. They growl nastily whenever I'm in my driveway. Freaking annoying. Now they are climbing up on stuff and looking over the 6' tall fence into my yard and growling at my dogs.

UG, I feel for you, sorry for the mini hijack.
#10 of 12 Old 12-09-2003, 12:04 PM

I agree with most everyone especially Celestial. In most towns you must have proof the animal left it's property. Video with a time/date stamp would be your best bet. I disagree with Marlena however. Confronting them is probably not your best bet. Unfortunately if the neighbors in question here are breeding pit bulls and they have been known to be agressive, they are probably not going to take too kindly to you telling them what to do. You have the best intentions by going to them first to clamly discuss the situation, but some people will take that the wrong way and they may instead retaliate. Leave it to animal control to deal personally with them and stay anonymous.
Also, here in my city you must be willing to take them to "civil" court and press charges if you want animal control to take away an agressive dog or neglectful owner. Animal control will warn them three times and that's about it unless you press charges.
#11 of 12 Old 12-09-2003, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Someone suggested via PM that I should call the pit bull rescue society or the SPCA as they are more likely to step in and do something about the way these animals are being treated. As for the rott, I will try to get a picture of it next time I see it. My neighbor has been trapped in her car by this dog when she went to check the mail. She had her cell phone with her and called 911. The dog ran off when the police arrived. This happened last week. I saw the dog twice yesterday. I hate feelinbg trapped in my own home. We are going to drive to a nearby town to go to the park today, but we can't do that everyday. We bought this particular house because the backyard looked like such a great place to play. I remember when the agent walke dus through, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the floor plan, then she took us out the back door.... Now, we can't even play out there. I am so sad about this. What is wrong with people that they would get a dog, abuse it to make it mean, then not be responsible enough to keep it from roaming the neighborhood? My husband says he wants to have his hunting rifle ready when we play outside this weekend, and he says he will shoot the dog if it poses a threat to us. I don't want this to happen. I really feel sorry for the dog.
#12 of 12 Old 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm a rabid (heh) fan of Pits, own two Pit mutts from two different shelters, and we're considering becoming an official Pit foster family for a local purebred dog rescue. All that said, if there was a human-aggressive Pit in my yard, I would shoot it. Shelters put down NICE Pits every day bc they don't have space - a mean Pit will go down the minute it gets to the pound. Also, it's my opinion from working with this breed that the amount of abuse needed to turn a naturally well-balanced and human-friendly dog into one that is human-aggressive is tremendous. If you're confident that this dog is human-aggressive, the kindest thing you can do is to put a bullet in its head.

Note: Puppies and young dogs are often seized in raids on dogfighters, and they are often put down just because of that fact. This is really wrong. If they've not been beaten and starved and (literally) eaten other dogs alive, the pups are just as likely to be fine as pups from a reputable breeder. My Mac (http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?c...=1071009318283 came from a dogfighting neighborhood, luckily the owners decided it was too much trouble to raise him just to be a "bait dog."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page