What a couple of weeks!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't mean to shout, what with all the exclamation marks, but there is just no other way to describe it.

About two weeks ago, my four-year-old got car sick, and thought he was being helpful by throwing up in my purse. I heard the retching sounds from the back seat, and his sweet little voice saying "its ok mama, I didn't get any on me or the car, I just used your purse." Um, thanks kiddo. So I found out that identification and bank cards can survive soap and hot water. Thank goodness I had left the checkbook at home.

So that weekend I decided to celebrate having such a clean debit card with a little retail therapy. On our budget, with four kids and one income, that means going down to the local thrift shop to look for half price tags. So I left the kids with their Daddy and headed out.

I found some wallpaper for 3 dollars a double roll. Bought two. Turned out to be the most costly 6 bucks I ever spent in my life. This is going to be a long story, hang with me for awhile if you want to.

The main bathroom looked alot better after I put the blue and white plaid pattern on the walls (although I looked much worse after staying up till three in the morning putting it up). So far so good.

So the next night. afer the kids were asleep, I decided to stay up late and paint the ceiling white. It soon looked nice and bright---but I am a sloppy painter, and had paint all over me, and it was dripping down onto my night gown. That is, it was staining my nighty, until I got all sweaty and tired of trying to keep the gown clean, and decided the bathroom was an acceptable room to be naked in, anyway, and well....lets just say I learned more about myself than I ever wanted to know standing on a chair in front of the bathroom mirror, reaching over my head with a paint brush. And did you know that hot water and soap don't remove the latex from your belly button on the first try? Just a little PSA. Tuck it in your hat and keep it in case you need it someday.

Should have been well and good-- nice bright ceiling, new paper, even a co-ordinating border. I was going to take my bright-bathroom-owning self into the kitchen the next afternoon and make a nice dinner for my husband and boys. Felt like a real woman of all trades, what with being able to redecorate
*and* cook. But first I had to take care of all those paint specks on the floor.

Well, I was too tired to scrub the wood tiles, far too tired. But I wanted to be superwoman. I wanted it perfect. And didn't I once see some stuff labled "paint remover" somewhere in the carport (note: the phrase "somewhere in the carport" should really, when it pops into my head, be followed by horror-flick music, kind of like the cords they play right when the guy with the issues finds the ax. Messy things happen when I go lookin' in the carport). So I found the can of paint remover, and dumped big globs of it on the splotches. I was doing such a good job, it was gonna be great!

But I soon found out that my wood-tiles were really tiles-painted-in-wood-colored-tape tiles. And did you know that paint remover likes to eat tape?

At this point I sat down on the edge of the tub and cried, while my poor sons (4, 9,11, and 15) looked on. And if not for hubby coming home and cooking, the paint remover would have been the only thing eating that night. I did not cook dinner. I went to bed.

But the next morning I woke up thinking "Hey, wait a minute, it was just a thin line of tape. like polyurethane. And didn't I just see a can of polyuthane floor sealant (dum, dum, tee-DUM, cue the horror movie music) *out in the carport.*

The story goes from bad to worse at this point (and where in the heck was the band in my head, that's supposed to warn me to beware of "out in the carport" thoughts. Maybe they were on a break, maybe I just wasn't listening. Who knows). I tried to seal the floor, with the bathroom window open and fan running for ventilation, and the kids cozy at the other end of the house, because I am a smart house fixer-upper. Yep. Except did you know that water can get behind peel and stick tiles, and foor sealant will not seal anything wet? And that two days later, we still couldn't get to the tub, what with the sticky floor grabbing our feet.

So on the third day, I had another inspiration (also perspiration, see above about the bathtub access problem). I grabbed my instruments of destruction, i.e. a meat cleaver and a metal pancake turner, and went to work. Hours later, I was back to square one, with nice clean plywood.

And my story ends with a roll of vinyl from the remnant store, and a tired woman with flecks of white paint in her hair. I guess I could come up with some pithy little moral to my tale, some little proverb like "beware of false bargains." But thats not my point in taking up so much of your time here, and besides, I am not sory I did this. It looks really cool. So I guess I'll just say that I wrote all this to explain why I haven't been around much. Really, it was nothing personal, just a long term thrift store episode.

take care,
DeAnna
#2 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 05:54 AM
XM

:LOL

I was wondering what you'd been up to!

XM
#3 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 AM

I guess I won't ask you to help if I ever need some remodeling done?
#4 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 11:04 AM

Well, honey, I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets into these kind of messes. Believe me, I'm right there with ya.
#5 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Our $1.98 roll of wallpaper to use as a backsplash in the kitchen (it looks like tile) led to taking out the lower kitchen cupboards, ripping up the old floors (two layers of tile and two of plywood), new plywood and ceramic, stripping and replacing the wallpaper, and putting up some wainscotting. All for a $1.98 backsplash!

I can so relate.
#6 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 PM

I know this song! Mine goes to the tune of....here's a really pretty antique table you can have, thanks for letting me store all my stuff in your garage. It only has a donzen or so coats of paint on it, I heard about some really great stripper stuff. Said table made the move with us, still incomplete. Dh says I should have tossed the table and used the money towards our new dining room table. Then I could have had the one I really wanted, instead of the one we could afford:LOL
#7 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 11:37 PM

Girl, you made me pee my pants!

#8 of 16 Old 12-10-2003, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I read out this story to my dh, because I like the way he laughs. He laughed a lot at this one.

Then he agreed with me that you are a good writer, dlb. But he wants to know, "did that really happen?"

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#9 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 12:22 AM

:LOL :LOL :LOL

Oh my goodness thats just way to funny! I do hope you dont mind me laughing at your expense.

I agree with captain optimism's dh, you are a good writer.
#10 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 12:31 AM

Have you ever thought about stand up? My s to you, tho. That's gotta be frustrating.
#11 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 12:42 AM

I am SO glad I am not the only one.
Dh won't let me peek under any rugs or behind corners of wallpaper or paneling anymore....the big meanie :LOL

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#12 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
patting her gently on the hand
As long as you had a nice time dear.
#13 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Yeep!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#14 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 AM

:LOL This story is just the picker upper I needed tonight. Even I noticed you seemed to be missing. on the home improvement.
#15 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 07:32 AM

you crazy woman! :LOL
#16 of 16 Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
Captain Optimism-- Tell your dh thanks for saying I am a good writer, and yes, it really did happen. Along with other stuff that I left out, because it just exhausted me to think about it.

Thanks for laughing with me, not at me, guys...I knew you would understand. Also thanks for seeing the humor, and all the compliments. Makes me feel better after feeling like such dork last week.

Some people think being a stay-at-home-mom could be boring. I don't know, I seem to find myself plenty of adventures.

(Irishmommy, I remember the pics of your kitchen. It was an adventure for you guys to, but it turned out wonderful.)

DeAnna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page