What do you think of Dansko Shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specifically these:
http://zeta.zappos.com/product/122567/color/108475

I bought a pair of these today and I LOVE how they feel on my feet, but I'm not sold yet on how they look. They're definitely 'chunkier' than any of my other shoes. I'm having serious problems with falling arches and I need some supportive shoes.

So, what do you think of these for every day, wear-with-jeans, run-around-town type shoes?

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 AM

I have this exact pair and love them, the only thing is there is a place on the side of the shoe where the strap hits my foot (on the outside) that gets a little sore at times.

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 AM

I loved my Danskos for a long time they were the only thing I ever wore. I think they are cute and I love the little lift they give me. I always like to look a little taller (even though I am alreay tall!) Then I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle and whenever I wore them I would roll my ankle again. As soon as my ankle strength is back up I will put them right back on.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#4 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I have the red clogs and the leopard ones, AND I LOVE THEM! I think the pair you bought is cute too! If you are ever in Asheville, North Carolina go to Discount Shoes on Brevard Road. They have a HUGE selection of name brand shoes including lots of Danskos!
#5 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Meh.
I am constantly twisting my ankle in them. Especially not cool when carrying a child.
They are comfortable, but I wish I had purchase something with a lower center of gravity.

DS 6 DD 8
#6 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM

: Hi...My Name is Dee and I'm a Dansko Addict

Now I need to have a pair of those...how cute are they?

Seriously though - I love my Danskos..all of them. I used to work a job where I was on my feet 8 hours a day and wouldn't have survived without them.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#7 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM

practical if they fit your foot and you can walk in them.
not the epitome of style but i like the utilitarian aspect to them. (which is somewhat stylish to me). they don't fit me well so i've never had a pair but i have some Dansko addict friends.
#8 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM

I'm another Dansko lover. They're pretty much the only closed-toe shoe I'll wear.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 PM

They used to be all that I wore. Now I hate them. And every time I wear them, I regret it. And I really don't like mary jane type shoes on adults.
#10 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I couldn't see them but I own a pair of Dansko clogs and love em! I wear them all the time.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#11 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't like the way that they fit on my feet. My feet are normal and I have never had any problems with any other shoes.....

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM

I hate Danskos. I have not tried the ones that you linked to though. I think they are cute.

I work on my feel as well (waitressing) and I cannot figure out how my coworkers survive on those things. I wore a pair for 3 months, was constantly rolling my ankle in them, the bottoms are slippery, and at one point I would get up in the morning and have cramping so bad where my toes joined my feet that I couldn't walk.
#13 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM

i own those marcelles in cordovan and just ordered the black. i'm on my feet working retail and they are the only shoes i can wear now that i'm pregnant that don't leave my back killing me.

i also love how they look. i wear them with jeans, capris, skirts/dresses and leggings.

i pronate and have horrible arches. it took a couple of weeks for them not to feel really "hard" but once i broke them in i didn't want to wear anything else.
#14 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM

My physical therapist told me NEVER buy them. I had torn up my ankle and he said even people with good ankles had to be careful with twisting their ankles in the Dansko clogs. They are high and have a small base of support. The ones you show are cute but they have the same base so I would be concerned about ankles.
#15 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I love them and find them very comfortable. I have the professional closed back clogs and several of the dressier styles too. I'm actually wearing my clogs with jeans right now.

If the ones you bought are too chunky you might try these: http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7333430/color/15689

I don't have them yet but I've had my eye on them for a while.

Mom to (5) (9)
#16 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
Meh.
I am constantly twisting my ankle in them. Especially not cool when carrying a child.
They are comfortable, but I wish I had purchase something with a lower center of gravity.
This. I'm working on improving my balance and gait, but until then, I wear other shoes.
#17 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I do not like these types of shoes at all. I especially hate clogs.
#18 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 04:55 PM

I think they are cute. I think they would be nice with jeans, just be careful as others have mentioned.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#19 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM

I love love love them. This is my favorite pair right now. I wear them almost every day. :

re: the twist issue - you do have to be careful. However, a friend told me they'd recently redesigned the heel so that they no longer taper which encourages better stability.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#20 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think they're ugly and uncomfortable but if they're comfortable for you, they're fine. They are the kind of ugly that's just sort of forgivable. It looks the way it looks for a reason, form following function and all that, and I can live with it. Sort of like Birks - Birks are ugly, I appreciate that they come in all different patterns and things, but they are still ugly - but they look the way the do to fit the way they fit so it's ok by me.
#21 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 PM

I'm wearing them right now

I'm a nurse. They're pretty much the only work shoes i have.
#22 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM

I just got a pair in December and I am very happy with them.

I did have trouble getting a good fit. I tried them on in a store and my mom ordered me a pair as a present in the same size, color and style and they didn't fit. I took them back and tried the next size up and it didn't fit right either. I went back to the first store I tried them on at and bought the floor model that I originally tried on. I also tried on several other pairs in the same size and one size up and they all felt a little different. The top of the shoe was the problem, it was way too tight on the pair my mom bought.

As far as the height or ankle rolling, no problems yet. I don't wear heels at all so these are the highest shoes I have.

I also love Birkenstock clogs and sandals and Chaco sandals.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#23 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM

The main problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that they make your feet look like hooves. They're very unflattering to your ankles and legs and make everything look chunkier.
#24 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I just got a pair in December and I am very happy with them.

I did have trouble getting a good fit. I tried them on in a store and my mom ordered me a pair as a present in the same size, color and style and they didn't fit. I took them back and tried the next size up and it didn't fit right either. I went back to the first store I tried them on at and bought the floor model that I originally tried on. I also tried on several other pairs in the same size and one size up and they all felt a little different. The top of the shoe was the problem, it was way too tight on the pair my mom bought.

As far as the height or ankle rolling, no problems yet. I don't wear heels at all so these are the highest shoes I have.

I also love Birkenstock clogs and sandals and Chaco sandals.
each pair is made my hand so there is always going to be a bit of variation in size.

and chacos! oh, i love my chacos so much.
#25 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM

I always see Danksos as classy and functional and stylish without being completely boring and *too* practical. They go with jeans, casual skirts, whatever you like. Those would even suit for dressier occasions (weddings, funerals, church, theater).

Sadly, I can't even try them on without spraining my ankle. They just don't work for me.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#26 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
The main problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that they make your feet look like hooves. They're very unflattering to your ankles and legs and make everything look chunkier.
My feet/ankles already look like that that so that's not a concern, lol

Mom to (5) (9)
#27 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post

i think that is a hard thing to say not having seen most of our feet or ankles. i get many many compliments on mine, actually.
#28 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 PM

I have clogs, which I like, but they are clunky.

I also have these which, for Danskos, have a much more refined look.

I bought, completely on a whim, Dansko boots and have been really happy with them. I take the train into Chicago for work and then have to walk ten blocks. I do it in these boots and they've been great.

The styles that are more shoe-like fit very differently than the clogs.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#29 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I Danskos, my fav are the clogs but I have a pair of mary janes that get worn often. I wear them with everything from jeans to dresses.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#30 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruver View Post
i think that is a hard thing to say not having seen most of our feet or ankles. i get many many compliments on mine, actually.
And I can guarantee that you're not getting compliments on how slim and fantastic your legs look in those shoes.

It's possible to find comfortable shoes that don't make your feet look like hooves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page