Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I love when people really do their own thing and love it :
Me too!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#62 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post

Anyhoo- was I the only person on the planet that thought the luncheon painting was gag ugly? I could have found that in a thrift store! In the FREE pile!
Nope I thought it was ugly too.It looked like it belonged on a western novel.I guess it was in keeping with the whole getting tired of it Lincoln theme though.it was supposedly up during Lincoln's luncheon too, to inspire hopefulness or something. Whatever!

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#63 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
Well finally an expert weighs in

I remember when I was a little girl my best friend had that coloring book! Where is the exhibit that you've seen? I'm guessing in Washington DC somewhere, but is it part of another museum or what?

Interesting link to the Nancy Reagan gown. I will stand by my opinion of being a fan of the dress, but it's nice to hear an inagural ball gown historian's take on it.
I'm not what you would call an historian... My family likes going to the Smithsonian, and I like gowns.

There is an exhibit devoted to First Ladies in the American History Museum. It was recently re-opened with a lot of new stuff. I hope they get Michelle Obama's gown too, as I'd like to see it up close.

And Aretha Franklin's hat was my favorite part of the whole inauguration ceremony. That thing was FABULOUS.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#64 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
I'm not what you would call an historian... My family likes going to the Smithsonian, and I like gowns.
No, I think that is very cool!! And I didn't mean "historian" like in the professional sense, I just think it's cool to have someone weigh in who knows a lot about the topic.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#65 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM

I was more disapointted the Obamas cannot dance a decent foxtrot too well. DH more than I.

I am of the school:

dress shabbily, they notice the dress, dress impectable, they notice the woman.-Coco Chanel.

I never really notice exactly what she is wearing since she and her DH are stunning people w stunning children. I just notice they both look appealing on the eye. But I noticed the dress that evening where as before all her other outfits I always commented to myself how sharp she looked.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#66 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
There is an exhibit devoted to First Ladies in the American History Museum. It was recently re-opened with a lot of new stuff. I hope they get Michelle Obama's gown too, as I'd like to see it up close.
omg that place is TORTURE for my dh. Everytime we go, he's like, are you going to make me do the flipping First Ladies exhibit again?
#67 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
omg that place is TORTURE for my dh. Everytime we go, he's like, are you going to make me do the flipping First Ladies exhibit again?
I guess that would be kind of chick flick ish since that would be complete torture for my DH too. My girls would LOVE LOVE LOVE it though! So on that thought, he loves making all of his ladies happy so he would go along with it for us.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#68 of 68 Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I thought she looked amazing both during the day and at night. Both were appropriate, a little different, not trendy, and really nice for a First Lady. I can't imagine any other choice for her, they both seem to suit who she appears to be. I can't wait to see more of her outfits, I know it's stupid but they are just such a great couple, I love seeing them!

I'm also so, so tired of Hollywood and actors being our heroes. It's nice to be able to have a real role model, not all that Hollywood pat themselves on the back for essentially doing nothing. Given where we are as a country right now, all these awards shows just seem so self congratulatory and ridiculous to me, but I still want someone to talk about .
I agree, especially about the role model stuff. I'm still high from election night, Inauguration has only added to it LOL

I was blown away when I saw her beautiful gown, wow, beautiful lady inside and out. Normally I'm not impressed with Inaugural gowns, but this one was just incredible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page