Can a bride NOT wear white? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got married in a really pretty cream colored dress.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Interesting. I never knew that.
That's why Mary is always painted in blue in portraits commissioned by the catholic church. Blue is the color of the sky. Heaven is traditionally associated with the sky. blue = heaven = pure.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetname View Post
Just curious, is it not an insult to wear a flag? Maybe it is acceptable in the US, I don't know, but I think a flag of one's country should be displayed proudly as a flag or worn like a pin or something...just my opinion. I am sure the dress wasn't meant to offend anyone: It was probably designed to be highly patriotic, but I am old fashioned enough to think that any flag should be respected. I don't see that as a wedding dress. Maybe something for a "pageant", costume, or parade type event?
She is not wearing a flag as a wedding dress. Look closer. The red stripes start narrow at the waist and widen as they get to the ground. It is not a flag.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Not that I think highly of marriage/the customs that surround it, because I don't, and not that I'll ever be getting married again, because I won't.

But why in heck shouldn't a bride/groom be able to wear whatever he/she wants? Come on. Lame.

This is supposed to be a celebration of unique individuals forming a unique partnership. It should be tailored to their exact tastes and personalities.

Personally, if I were about marriage (which I'm not...especially since gay people can't get married), I'd probably wear a blood red suit, sneakers and dye my hair purple.

Sounds about right.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I hope she wasn't implying what I think she was.
What the heck does that mean?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM

I say she can wear whatever she wants - it's her wedding.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 PM

In the not so recent past most brides did not wear white-- unless they were wealthy. They wore their Sunday best and that could be any color. I say wear whatever you want to wear. Red does have some kind of taboo- can't remember what right now. I wore red at my Hindu wedding, white at the American wedding, and a pretty orange number for the elopment that happened before the weddings.

ETA: here's a link about the origin of white wedding dresses
http://www.wedalert.com/content/arti...Traditions.asp

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
Red does have some kind of taboo- can't remember what right now.
What I've heard, though not from the best of sources is:
Basically since red was the traditional for pagan brides (in ancient Rome), the Christians considered it a heathen thing.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Well, not only did I propose to my husband, but I wore a gold dress for my wedding! You can see it here if you scroll down a bit:
http://kvetch.indiebride.com/index.p...f3d#msg_907520

I was considering making a white dress, but I found this one and it made me feel like a 1930s movie star, so I picked it! It was also very comfortable--comfort was an important thing to me for my wedding day. I think color doesn't matter for a wedding dress--all that matters is that it makes you feel gorgeous and you won't mind wearing it all day.

K, 26, married to D, 27, still trying to conceive our first child after a 7 week loss in January 2011
Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 PM

I didn't take time to read the whole thread, but my sister got married in light blue.

I chose ivory. I really wanted a traditional wedding, so it was either that or white, which really does make me look like death warmed over. The right shade of off-white can be flattering on anyone. On the other hand, I don't see why anyone should feel compelled to wear white or off-white.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM

I wore grey embroidered with silver flowers. The bride can wear whatever she likes!

User Tag List