AIM help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I joined AIM a while ago, and the password was stored in my computer. Hence, I forgot what the actual password is, and when the cookies were deleted, my password was deleted as well.

So I tried to reset it, but, unlike NORMAL websites, it doesn't give me the option of having some random password emailed to the email I started the account with. No, I have to remember the answer to the security question EXACTLY the way I typed it in the first time. Then, if I get it wrong 3 times in a row, they lock my account for 24 hours. So then the next day I need to remember the combinations I tried the day before so I don't waste another 3 chances.

I tried to email customer service, but they want me to log in first!

I'm sure it would be easier to simply open another account, but there are two problems with that. First of all, they might not let me open another account with the same email address, and if I use an alternate address, I might forget which one I used. Secondly, and more important, I have contacts via that account- people with whom I have no other way of getting in contact with.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#2 of 6 Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My only advice is to physically write down all of the combinations you try.

I've had this problem before too. It was really annoying.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 6 Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is exactly why I lost my original AIM username, and a few online friends whose usernames I couldn't recall.
#4 of 6 Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's AIM stand for? All I know of is the toothpaste and Artificial Infant Milk. LOL

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
What's AIM stand for? All I know of is the toothpaste and Artificial Infant Milk. LOL
AOL Instant Messenger.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was able to fix the problem, because apparently the password was only deleted from one computer, and the other one still had it saved.

So, I logged in and changed my security question. It wouldn't let me reset my password without knowing my old password though. But then I was able to log out and, knowing the answer to the new security question (that I'd set 5 minutes earlier) it let me reset my password to something I could easily remember.

Maybe I should email myself both the security question and the password so I'll be able to dig through old emails if this happens again.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page